Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

B1 Korg loud continuous beep...
B1 Korg loud continuous beep... Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th January 2020, 12:27 AM   #21
Manolo47 is offline Manolo47  Puerto Rico
diyAudio Member

Thanks for merging the threads. Sorry for the double posting. Rewired all the input, output and ground wiring. The rca’s are the ones in the kit with isolation washers.
Also checked all joint solders. Also moved the unit and dac to another shelf position. It looks like if I take the case in my hands while the “beep-whisle” is going on, it stops. Is the pcb board connected to the case, ground wise?
Old 10th January 2020, 12:34 AM   #22
JSA1971 is offline JSA1971  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolo47 View Post
Thanks for merging the threads. Sorry for the double posting. Rewired all the input, output and ground wiring. The rca’s are the ones in the kit with isolation washers.
Also checked all joint solders. Also moved the unit and dac to another shelf position. It looks like if I take the case in my hands while the “beep-whisle” is going on, it stops. Is the pcb board connected to the case, ground wise?
I believe the perimeter trace on the board is connected to gnd of all inputs/outputs including the (-) input of power supply. In my build that is also connected to the 1U chassis (if memory serves) I have mine installed in. Possible ground issue?
Old 10th January 2020, 12:37 AM   #23
JSA1971 is offline JSA1971  Canada
diyAudio Member

Sorry, meant to post this in last response.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8CA38BC9-DDB2-4244-BDEA-BD20D538F86B.jpeg (97.0 KB, 170 views)
Old 10th January 2020, 01:28 AM   #24
avtech23 is offline avtech23  Australia
Certifiably addicted to DIY.
diyAudio Member

What power supply are you using? Is it grounded?
Quote:
if I take the case in my hands while the “beep-whisle” is going on, it stops.
I had issues with my build and had to provide a chassis ground via another device (the SMPS earth pin was not connected internally to anything).

Try run a line from your chassis (any screw) to a properly grounded equipment.

The PCB should (ideally) mount to the metal chassis with star washers and metal screws / standoffs to connect it to the perimeter gnd plane. (Look at the top right corner of the picture you posted to see the connection)
The ever growing project list.. :NAP140 Clone, NAD 3020i & 3225PE, JLH1969, TDA2050, Fender 5F2A Princeton, NE5532 Pre, SHPA, B1 Korg, T2. : VSQC Phunk Style, Retro 50W, Filmosound 601, LM4780. : Apex AX-14, TGM-10, TDA7265 (Last in line)...maybe
Old 10th January 2020, 06:40 PM   #25
Nelson Pass is offline Nelson Pass  United States
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolo47 View Post
It should be, but perhaps yours is not. Try making a direct connection
between circuit and chassis.
Old 10th January 2020, 11:01 PM   #26
carlpsyd is offline carlpsyd  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm having similar problems. Here's what I've determined.
1. Nutube is microphonic and needs dampening material under it. I can tap on it and it will ring in the speakers - interestingly tapping will also cause the osculating to start.

2. There is a definite oscillation. Seems to not be related to input, I can have the input turned all the way down and it will still start osculating just sitting on a shelf. It comes and goes at various times - can be 1 min or 10 mins. If I lift the preamp off the shelf it's sitting on the oscillation will eventually stop or I can turn it off and back on and it will stop.

I shield the output from the board to the output jacks, which helped lower the occurrence of the oscillation.

All test measurements check out and I have T7, T8 set to 9.5.

When it works the preamp sounds very good.

Any ideas how to stop the oscillation?
Old 11th January 2020, 08:12 AM   #27
MEPER is offline MEPER  Denmark
diyAudio Member

A heavy chassis dampened inside with bitumen. If chassis also is closed (air tight) there will be not feedback from moving air. I can knock on my chassis without any audible trigger of ringing in speakers. However if I have FocusRite with Arta or REW software to measure distortion and I knock…..I can see "something". I used that as a tool to see what happened without damping of chassis and with damping. A huge difference.
Old 11th January 2020, 10:46 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Regarding the ground connection between chassis and board trace, there is no actual connection. It seems that the case and bolts anodizing prevent actual contact. So, I will make sure there is a connection. I did the connection of board ground to another chassis properly grounded as suggested here but still got the beep. I shall report.
Old 11th January 2020, 05:58 PM   #29
Nelson Pass is offline Nelson Pass  United States
The one and only

I think the problem is local. You want an internal connection for ground to chassis.
Old 11th January 2020, 08:45 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Default It looks like it is fixed!

As mentioned, there was no actual connection between the board ground and chassis. Why? Because the whole case and bolts were anodized. That includes the chassis chamfered holes and bolts, well, not the bolts that come with the kit to attach the pcb stands to the chassis, but as mentioned, these chamfered holes were anodized completely, offering no contact with the bolts.
So I removed the anodizing in the holes and established contact. My kit is the complete one that is offered for $299. But this also applies if you get the same enclosure from Italy that comes with kit. Thanks to everyone for your input and hope this helps new builders that get that enclosure.

B1 Korg loud continuous beep...Hide this!Advertise here!