Pass f6 toroidal transformer

I was originally planning of building a set of ACA monoblocks. Thinking it out a little more, I felt that would end up being an intermediate step in eventually building a F6.

I've build kits before and I've even dabbled in fixing some SS stereos. I'm CLEARLY not at the level of a tech, but I do know my way around a DMM and a soldering iron.

I was thinking I should starting by building the power supply. Then the amp boards and then the chassis.

If I post a list of PS parts can someone see if I need any additional parts. I'm starting with this post #16 https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/371008-f5-f6-power-supply-guidance-2.html#post6620430

Thanks and looking forward to starting.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Sunscreen - I'd recommend reading the PSU sections in this blog as part of your journey. You'll notice that there are a few choices you can make re: your PSU, and a number of parts that can by-choice be omitted. You'll also need a few parts surrounding the PSU, that while not strictly considered part of the "PSU", are considered recommended and possibly necessary.

Although the authors were building the PSU for the Aleph J, it applies to your F6 build. Enjoy!

DIY Aleph J: A Build Guide

I just read that a SMPS 5A 24v could be used in place of the full DIY power board. Is that correct?

And would you need only one going to both channels or two separate ones?

This would be a nice option to build the amp boards and chassis, then take some time to get the PS going. As I seem to be stuck on this part.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
I just read that a SMPS 5A 24v could be used in place of the full DIY power board. Is that correct?

And would you need only one going to both channels or two separate ones?

This would be a nice option to build the amp boards and chassis, then take some time to get the PS going. As I seem to be stuck on this part.

Unless you've got someone that will provide you the full recommended BoM that they'll stand behind for the switching PSUs and filters along with a wiring diagram, I'd pursue something that is ready-made.

I strongly encourage keeping track of the threads for "ready-made" solutions, but to my knowledge there is not one available yet. Things seem to be looking up for SMPS solutions.

If that intrigues you or makes you feel more comfortable, perhaps go down the road of the ACAs. Then perhaps by the time you're ready to pursue a FW solution using an SMPS, a "solution in a box" will be ready. Pure speculation, but I think it's reasonable.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Sunscreen, MicroAudio makes one of the few SMPS available that are designed to power class A amplifiers for +/- 24-25VDC. There are at least several amps described on the forum using these successfully: I built an F5, meanie built an F6, and I think vunce has more than one First Watt diy amps with the SMPS from MicroAudio. There are likely more.

SMPS500-CLA – MicroAudio

In theory, some* 24v ~5A laptop bricks can be combined to make an adequate +/- 24VDC supply for a class A amp, but there are limitations and specifics unknown to me to do so. Plus you'd need two bricks per channel to get the 10A. I know at least one person on the forum did so successfully with an F5.

Also, tomchr's Neurochrome site offeres a pcb and documentation to combine two meanwell smps for a +/- supply.

Mean Well Control: Power Your Audio Amp with Mean Well EPP or RPS SMPS – Neurochrome

The wrinkle in all of these is making sure that the smps can accept extra capacitance added to its output. Many smps dont't agree with that and will go into hiccup or protection mode with added capacitance. Often the manufacturers don't publish this capability or limitation. The MicroAudio smps is designed specifically to allow for lots of big caps added for a class A amp.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
@Sunscreen,

If your interested in using an SMPS power supply for your F6, von Ah’s MicroAudio recomendation is spot on. A few of us have used this SMPS for Class A amps and it works wonderfully. I recently built an M2 powered with this supply with excellent results. Also, just the cost of the Toroidy Supreme trafo alone, shipped to the US will be more than the SMPS500-CLA.
Check it out ;)

Sunscreen, MicroAudio makes one of the few SMPS available that are designed to power class A amplifiers for +/- 24-25VDC. There are at least several amps described on the forum using these successfully: I built an F5, meanie built an F6, and I think vunce has more than one First Watt diy amps with the SMPS from MicroAudio. There are likely more.

SMPS500-CLA – MicroAudio

In theory, some* 24v ~5A laptop bricks can be combined to make an adequate +/- 24VDC supply for a class A amp, but there are limitations and specifics unknown to me to do so. Plus you'd need two bricks per channel to get the 10A. I know at least one person on the forum did so successfully with an F5.

Also, tomchr's Neurochrome site offeres a pcb and documentation to combine two meanwell smps for a +/- supply.

Mean Well Control: Power Your Audio Amp with Mean Well EPP or RPS SMPS – Neurochrome

The wrinkle in all of these is making sure that the smps can accept extra capacitance added to its output. Many smps dont't agree with that and will go into hiccup or protection mode with added capacitance. Often the manufacturers don't publish this capability or limitation. The MicroAudio smps is designed specifically to allow for lots of big caps added for a class A amp.

where to find more info on the Neurochrome board?