first build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, looking to do my first build. Want to make a monoblock to power my new center channel. Any recommendations? The center will be 2 ea 10" Hartley 220's, 2 ea Eton 4" hexacone mids, 1 JBL 2405 tweeter and 1 7" Hartley tweeter. I've been to the DIY Store and still need some help deciding. Thanks

In terms of output / performance, what sort of sensitivity spec do you think your speaker build will deliver?
Also, what's the predicted impedance?

If the speaker sensitivity is decent and the impedance is 8Ω or above, then the ACA is an easy, simple, safe way to get started. You can run it as a monoblock:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1006/5046/files/ACA_Monoblock_Operation_RevA.pdf
So, it might be a good fit.

To me it seems a bit of "waste" of class A watts to use such an amp for a center speaker?
For "cinema sound" a higher watt class A/B may be better?
Or do you specific look for a Pass class A amp for this purpose?
Or is it "just" DIY that has 1. priority?

Check here:
FIRST WATT PRODUCTS

The amps noted as not available new, outline your options. Others on the forum can counsel you with regard to configuring a stereo amp as a monoblock and the power output you could expect. I wouldn't think it would be a straight forward doubling but I'd expect that it should be within what us Ozzies call "coo-ee" of that.

I think it's important to know what you will be using as source(s) and the respective output voltages of those sources.

You will (maybe/most probably) find lacking gain if you are driving the FW amps with say a CD-player output and/or TV with something around 2V only.

For MoFo you WILL need some sort of pre-amplifer anyway!

Been there...

Cheers,

Max

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.