Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Another F5 Build
Another F5 Build
Another F5 Build Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th March 2019, 04:15 AM   #1
Trismos is offline Trismos  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Another F5 Build

Maybe 6-7 years ago I started to catch the bug. I bought my first decent amp, a Virtue Sensation M-901 with all the trimmings, and a GR Research N3 - an MTM transmission line kit. Building the N3 led to another hobby in wood working but also got me thinking I'd like to build an amp. Tube amps were always something that interested me so I got a hold of Viktor Kung at VK Music to ask about them.
I've since built (2) Elekit tube amp kits, the TU 879S with KT88s, and the 8300R, but in doing so discovered I needed some more efficient speakers which led me to getting the 97db co-axial OB GR Research Super Vs (which I still haven't "properly finished but they are singing anyways!).
Early last year I started down the Class D path and ordered a bunch of Hypex modules and a chassis when I ran across an article on the Amp Camp Amp. For whatever reason - maybe the price along with some of the reviews - I ordered and built that and was quite frankly blown away. To that point my beloved Virtue amp was always my go to piece when I just wanted to sit back and listen to music. There is something just so full about that little ACA that brings life to music. This got me looking at some of the other First Watt kits and, after reading many reviews, in June of 2018 I started ordering parts for the F5.
One thing after another delayed it all coming together, but as of today, the last piece showed up - a package of Keratherm insulators I had simply forgot to add to the list. Up to this point I've been posting in several different threads seeking help and getting to the stage I'm at now. I'd like to thank 6L6 for his invaluable contributions through his PSU and F5 build guides. I've also had many people enlighten me thus far including rayma who's been great. I'll post a bunch of pics here. I had more from earlier on but between moving them from DropBox to different files I've managed to lose a bunch unfortunately, but I believe everyone here has probably seen the "un-boxing" of the deluxe chassis from Italy by now.
Pics of the progress below.
Old 16th March 2019, 04:20 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

A few more for now. Have to hit the hay soon but have more questions about wiring tomorrow.

10-20190314_130519.jpg

11-20190314_130544.jpg

12-20190315_190930.jpg

Thanks again for the help. This is exciting stuff really.
Old 16th March 2019, 11:03 AM   #4
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

Another F5 Build
mains connected NTC must be elevated form base plate

best to put some isolating sheet bellow terminal block , too
Old 16th March 2019, 03:14 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
mains connected NTC must be elevated form base plate

best to put some isolating sheet bellow terminal block , too
Will do. Thanks.
Old 16th March 2019, 04:06 PM   #6
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Another F5 Build
Looking very good!! Carry on, and please continue to post your wonderful photos!

Old 16th March 2019, 04:08 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Looking very good!! Carry on, and please continue to post your wonderful photos!

Old 16th March 2019, 07:39 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Tidied up some things - finished mounting the PSU to the stand-offs properly, added a few more riser tie-downs for the mains and put some tape under the terminal block per ZM, and mounted the amps to get some wire lengths.

20190316_122506.jpg

For some reason I thought the Keratherm had a sticky side?
And actually now that I'm about to do it, installing the MOSFETs seems like it might be a bit tricky to get everything to line up properly....
Old 16th March 2019, 08:28 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

18 Gauge okay between the PSU and the amps?
Old 16th March 2019, 08:29 PM   #10
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

Another F5 Build
fattest you can squeeze in pcb pad holes

Another F5 BuildHide this!Advertise here!