"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guide

PCB order for Europe

Does anybody else from Germany or Europe want Whammy PCBS?
I can order more PCBs to save on shipping, because shipping for one board is expensive. 18,26$ for a board is a lot. For 5 boards shipping is 29,94$, about 6$ a piece. For 10 Pcbs 32,44$, 3,24$ shipping s piece.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I can order more PCBs to save on shipping, because shipping for one board is expensive. 18,26$ for a board is a lot. For 5 boards shipping is 29,94$, about 6$ a piece. For 10 Pcbs 32,44$, 3,24$ shipping s piece.
Promitheus, I have a few (3) white (pink ones are gone} PCBs available in Germany. If you are interested, PM me.
Cheers, Ernst

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Ah, here the pic. 20180425_164725.jpg

I am using two identical 25va(2x22v) amgis transformers(like 6L6 in the first post) for another project and the last days I have connected the transformers to a quasimodo jig to work out the snubbers.
The capacitor values were the same as the ones suggested by Mark and the resistor value came out 22r.
Just in case someone wants to try it out I would like to hear his opinion regarding the sound before/after implementing the snubbers.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I was answering that question. :D

If you were talking about a PSU output snubber I'd suggest removing it and throwing it away. But a transformer snubber? All it will do is make the PSU even better behaved. That's always positive in my experience.

Wether or not it will actually have an impact on the sonics is for you to find out. Expectation bias will kick in strongly here, honestly, as the PSU is highly (almost ludicriously) well-filtered before the regulators, and the amplifier circuit's PSRR is pretty darn good.

Last edited:
Until now I have used these snubbers on the output of a transformer on a dac and now on a preamp. To be honest I have implemented them right from the start of the build process so I didn’t had a chance to make a comparison.
Today I had noticed that you use the same transformers as I use in my preamp and I thought it could be useful to share my info about the snubber for this transformer in the idea that maybe someone wants to implement it and after will share his opinion about the change in performance of his preamp.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Modern metal film resistors are all very, very good.

I have used Vishay/Dale, Yeago, Xicon, thay all sound the same - very nice!!

I prefer the Dale because they are easiest to read and the value is written on the side instead of the color code.

Circuit sound is impacted much, much more by any active device than any passive component. (This includes capacitors.) If you want to experiment with sonic flavoring, try different opamps, they will sound different. :D

Modern metal film resistors are all very, very good.

I have used Vishay/Dale, Yeago, Xicon, thay all sound the same - very nice!!

I prefer the Dale because they are easiest to read and the value is written on the side instead of the color code.

Circuit sound is impacted much, much more by any active device than any passive component. (This includes capacitors.) If you want to experiment with sonic flavoring, try different opamps, they will sound different. :D
Thanks for your reply.

I also read about the experiments with the opamps and the various FETs.. Also about their (opamps) effect on the offset voltage. In your opinion, does the current capability of the opamp matter in driving the FET's, for they act as a capacitive load?

BTW, in case of excessive offset voltage, I remember reports of tenths of millivolts, is there a way of correcting that by means of a trimmer, without ruining the sound quality?

I plan to run the amp on somewhere around +/- 17V dc so a wider range of opamps can be applied.

greetz,
Edwin

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The typical offset is hardly worth adjusting out at milli volts or less.
You could trim the + inputs on the opamps if you wanted.

6L6 is correct about resistors most metal films are quite good. The Vishay/BC SFR25 are nice .4 Watt fitting in .5" spacing and cost about 5 cents. The Dales are nice if you want easy to read and non magnetic.