nakamichi pa7 mrk2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Advice on nakamichi pa7ll

I was needing some advice for capacitors on a nak pa 7ll ? I was driving through a neighborhood yesterday and passed by a garage sale ( nice house so I glanced over ) and saw sitting on a table , a nak pa 7ll ! Recognized it immediately as I have a pa7 ( bought it new a looong time ago and still use it ) I swung around and parked to my wife’s dismay. “ hold on I said I gotta check something out , long story short I walked away with it for 15 bucks ??? I felt bad and told him that it was worth a lot more , but he said he didn’t know if it even worked so out came 25 bucks and I drug it home ( grinning ) . It didn’t come with a power cord and so I grabbed one from the shelf. When I turned it on it clicked on just like my pa7 does , I hooked some speakers to it and well shoot no left channel ! But about 2 min after that the left channel kicked on . So after that long story I am going to re cap it myself ( I’ve built an aca amp ( first diy ) and a couple of tube amps and really enjoy diy. So I pulled the relay to the right channel out from the board and it rattles really bad so I will replace that , any other parts other than capacitors ? And what would be the best 33000 uf 99 w ? Thank you in adavance and sorry for the long winded story .

Joined 2007
Paid Member
@trousersnake: Hi ... I used to sell those amplifiers years ago (while studying) and just happening to come across this thread - and your post - I may add a few comments:

- The PA5 II benefitted immensely sound-wise from having its bias current to the output stage increased (up to 100 mA per transistor to my memory - couldn't go higher due to heat dissipation limit). Much more fluid and open sound after doing this. I don't remember having tried this on the PA7 II but I reckon it could be similar.

- I often use Nichicon KZ electrolytics yet can see that these are at least not available in a 33000uF size at this voltage. However, depending on where you are I might suggest either Mouser.com, partsconnexion.com, or hificollective for electrolytic capacitor parts (you may of course already know these suppliers ;-))

No further comments - Good luck with your refurbish ;-)

Cheers,

Jesper

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.