Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

B1 with Korg Triode
B1 with Korg Triode
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 11:16 PM   #5831
lt_texan is offline lt_texan  United States
diyAudio Member

"Probably fake, but not bad."

har har.

The pot is mounted on the chassis which is to ground.

The pot's ground leg of the potential divider ground to chassis.

I think all 4 of the board's mounting holes are to ground. And it is mounted with standoffs that ground to the chassis.

And then there is the ground next to the 24v which I have ground to the chassis.

Are you saying to remove the ground next to the 24v in, or remove the board's grounding via the mounting holes?
Old Yesterday, 11:31 PM   #5832
Hikari1 is online now Hikari1  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt_texan View Post
"Probably fake, but not bad."

har har.

The pot is mounted on the chassis which is to ground.

Yes, sometimes the anodization on the front bushing doesn't provide a connection. You can test this with a meter from chassis to one of the screws on the back. Or ground one of the screws on the back.

The pot's ground leg of the potential divider ground to chassis.

do you not have these running via wires to the PCB? you should. [/COLOR
]

I think all 4 of the board's mounting holes are to ground. And it is mounted with standoffs that ground to the chassis.

you can try to see if you can lift the board with your hands off the chassis to see if this works. Mine is quieter with plastic standoffs, so no ground to chassis on mine.

And then there is the ground next to the 24v which I have ground to the chassis.

remove this. This should just go to the board.

Are you saying to remove the ground next to the 24v in, or remove the board's grounding via the mounting holes?

Via the PCB standoffs.

You have a lot of potential for ground loops which is probably what you are hearing. Are you using an SMPS power supply? You don't need to ground the chassis. The chassis only NEEDS to be grounded for safety if you are using a linear supply with a 3 prong power cord. An don't use the chassis as any sort of connection from the pot to the PCB or anything like that. You want the wires to be the path of least resistance...once we start introducing unequal paths to ground is where we start getting ground loops. It's OK for the chassis to be grounded, but it needs to not be the path of least resistance.

Maybe a pic would help? Perhaps I am not understanding what you are doing correctly.
Old Yesterday, 11:47 PM   #5833
lt_texan is offline lt_texan  United States
diyAudio Member

I’ve only built tube gear and wondered about the potential for so many ground loops.

I’ll post a pic
  Reply to this post

B1 with Korg TriodeHide this!Advertise here!