What Nelson pass amp build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What amp Nelson Pass advise me to build

Hello world , this is already a moment that I 'm on the forum , and after you have built amp journal Led by France I wish to build a Mr pass amp but I do not know which one to choose ! Grieve if my bad English and I pass by google translation , so I hesitate between aleph 5 and aleph x or you may be another one advise? A power of about 60 to 80w very well for me , you know also if there are still aleph x PCB sale ?
Thank you in advance for the time you spend me

Good evening everyone.I post here because I do not know what amp pass Nelson building ,

I will need 60 to 80w and I hesitated between Aleph and Aleph 5 -x !
If you also know that there's always the pcb Aleph -x or 5 available
because I saw that Y'avait group buy on the forum but this date a long time.

if you have gerber file it also suits me because I know my burn cards.Thank you in advance and I hope you understand me because I use google translation .

You don't need 50 watts with 97db efficient speakers unless you have listen extremely loud. And if you do you probably would be better off with a bigger speaker. The Aleph X is also a pretty complicated build.

25 watts will be fine. I'd look at the F5 and Aleph J, both have PCBs available here at diyaudio. I use 89db speakers with a F5 and it is fine. The F4 is another option, but it is a power buffer which requires all the gain to be delivered by the preamp, so it's kind of preamp specific.

Although I haven't heard any of the aleph amps they are supposed to be a little more round and less clinical than the F5. The F5 will likely have more bass control and will play better into low ohm speakers. If you like a harder more forward clinical sound you might prefer the F5. If you listen to jazz or small scale classical you might like the aleph. I would also consider the F6. PCB available at diyaudio too.

My experience with Klipsch is they can be very revealing and forward. So the Aleph might be a better choice.

I use Klipsch La Scala
My Choice is
F6 for fast and furious good for Electronic and Rock with very fast response and good bass extension 3 D Imaging
M2 for good all round performance good for Classical Jazz and from Ambient to Rock
F5 Rock solid good from Jazz to Rock

Hi uchu007,

when I started with this hobby I also thought that I AT LEAST need 60W. This is suggested by all audio magazines, and there is noone advocating a realistic approach. This was ok, but now I know it better.

Here you can have some fun:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...much-voltage-power-do-your-speakers-need.html

It is really interresting and worth doing it.

Another point of view is that many would be jealous of high efficient speakers as you have, because then they could reasonably build a Firstwatt Amplifier. You know, the first Watt of Power is the most important! :D

From my experience and what I've heard I recommend you a M2.

Regards,
Matthias

I use 4v rms with 89db 3 ways in a 1000 sq foot room with cathedral ceilings. Spl at listening position is 85-90ish db. That means I need 25-40 watts peak, ideally. F5 can deliver 25 watts into 8 ohm, 50 watts into 4 ohms.

60 or 80 watts into a mid 90's db efficient speaker is a lot. The Speaker will lose its composure far before the you will run out of amp.

And I know it's not really science but class a amps sound more powerful for the wattage than class ab or especially class d to me.

MY F6 build gave Much More sound quality than I expected.
I won't be lusting after another Amp for some years to come... if ever.
As for power; I haven't the courage to turn the Volume to full using My 95 db Tannoys (for fear of damaging them) whereas a previous 70 watter amp didn't cause any such worries.
Unlikely to make a poor choice with the Firstwatters .

Last edited:
With your comment you reassure me the power , I went on the construction of the M2 really should go with 25w and my pregnant 97db.Surtout my apartment is about 35m² . Fabrice to supply part I took the pcb that Tea -bag made ​​in the buying group M2, for capacitors I will do everything possible for the power Murdof . I am not a beginner in electronics since it's my job , I also have all the equipment at home but that is only 2 years I am passionate about audio and I am delighted to be on this forum and advised by who love audio too !

Then better wait for the F7 to do it right. ;)
The F6 has been designed for the Semisouth SJEPs, but they are all gone. Now there are IRF Mosfets used. Does this fact degrade this design, or do I have to look at it as a MK2? :rolleyes:
I think the Firstwatt Series isn't getting better like the designs from Passlabs, there you have generations, but the Firstwatt models stand by their own. So some prefer the Aleph J, because it renders female voices like their sirens' enchanting singing. Some the F4, because of its neutrality without sterileness. And look the F5 thread, it's brothers and cousins.
It's a matter of personal taste and it also depends if they get paired with the matching speakers.
But for most of us it is a begin of a voyage, finding out if one prefers negative or positive phase and which kind of proportion of harmonic distortion. And ever tried a system without feedback loop?
But: have fun and don't forget to enjoy listening to music! And sometimes a prototype stays there for months or years, because it sounds so enchanting! Then everything is just right!
Matthias

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.