What Nelson pass amp build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I have the M2 which I recently built and running rather inefficient 84dB speakers. In a 25m^2 room - it is surprising how loud it can get. I feel there is no lack of power - especially the bass is quite forceful with class A designs. It needs a preamp though to achieve the louder SPLs. So my input is a 25w Pass class A is not short on power to play loudly with a rather inefficient speaker. However, if you really like it loud and clean, a 150w class AB amp may be better for you.

Hello xrk971,
I already have several amp I built one with a lm4702b and a couple of Sanken std03n and p, another dual mono LME49810 and mj11032 and 32, and another class A. This will go very well with my former speaker highland, but with klipsch I find the aggressive .Klipsch yet appear to be of very good speaker Very Detailed , i do not seek power but a very good amp for klispch.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hello xrk971,
I already have several amp I built one with a lm4702b and a couple of Sanken std03n and p, another dual mono LME49810 and mj11032 and 32, and another class A. This will go very well with my former speaker highland, but with klipsch I find the aggressive .Klipsch yet appear to be of very good speaker Very Detailed , i do not seek power but a very good amp for klispch.

I know it's probably heresy to say this here in a class A forum but for a 97dB sensitive Klipsch, try this - nothing to lose as it costs nothing. You might be surprised.

Low Power TDA8932 35W Digital Amplifier Board Module Mono Power Audio Stereo | eBay

I was quite unprepared for how good it sounded. Very smooth and articulate and with a 19v SMPS - plenty of bass.

I have the M2 which I recently built and running rather inefficient 84dB speakers. In a 25m^2 room - it is surprising how loud it can get. I feel there is no lack of power - especially the bass is quite forceful with class A designs. It needs a preamp though to achieve the louder SPLs. So my input is a 25w Pass class A is not short on power to play loudly with a rather inefficient speaker. However, if you really like it loud and clean, a 150w class AB amp may be better for you.

xrk971, your FAST thread is very interesting, and I might try 10F soon. I am wondering what you see the advantage of Class A over D (if any).

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I like class D a lot and when I first started out in DIY speakers I used it exclusively for low cost and simplicity. For active systems with DSP and separate amps for each driver class D makes a lot of sense and can sound very good. However, for multiway speakers with larger woofers and higher power requirement - I find discrete solid state amps (class AB) to be superior in sound quality. Mostly from standpoint of bass authority, low distortion at high power, and attack (fast transients). A big fat 20amp transistor in analog mode can just do audio better and more naturally than switching class D. Oh, and if you make your own discrete SS class AB amp following plans in this forum, they can cost less than class D (not including PSU). But with one 35v rail PSU you can try a lot of different amps. With that said, some class D can sound very good. The TDA8932 for example if you only need 20w or less. Which is why I say it's great for lower power high sensitivity speakers. Regarding class A - I am not sure I see a huge benefit with sound quality vs well-implemented class AB yet. Maybe I will feel different after I build and listen to the ExtremeA amp?

Last edited:
I like class D a lot and when I first started out in DIY speakers I used it exclusively for low cost and simplicity. For active systems with DSP and separate amps for each driver class D makes a lot of sense and can sound very good. However, for multiway speakers with larger woofers and higher power requirement - I find discrete solid state amps (class AB) to be superior in sound quality. Mostly from standpoint of bass authority, low distortion at high power, and attack (fast transients). A big fat 20amp transistor in analog mode can just do audio better and more naturally than switching class D. Oh, and if you make your own discrete SS class AB amp following plans in this forum, they can cost less than class D (not including PSU). But with one 35v rail PSU you can try a lot of different amps. With that said, some class D can sound very good. The TDA8932 for example if you only need 20w or less. Which is why I say it's great for lower power high sensitivity speakers. Regarding class A - I am not sure I see a huge benefit with sound quality vs well-implemented class AB yet. Maybe I will feel different after I build and listen to the ExtremeA amp?

Thank you for your frank opinions. I always respect your frontier spirit not to hesitate to try cutting edge technologies.:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.