BA3 preamp hiss

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes Hikari, the noise is independent of the volume settings so does this suggest to you that the gainclone (an audiosector deluxe version, built to the recommended plan) is the more likely issue or how it is working with the ba3 pre. I am wondering now about the earthing. In testing the connection between ba3 and gainclone the hiss starts as soon as the earth connects on the interconnects i.e. before the hot or signal connect is made. I see that hiss from gainclones is not uncommon and various solutions are mentioned including reducing gain and paying extra attention to the earth layout. I have only ever used the gainclone with passive pres, for several years now, and it has always been dead quiet (which is why I had initially wondered about the ba3, as it was the ne link in the chain). I tried your suggestion regarding a ground breaker (CL60) on the ba3 and it made no difference at all to the hiss. I wonder if I should look at a ground breaker on the gainclone or revisit my grounding on the ba3. I am going to start on my f6 amp soon but would like to at least be able to use the gainclone in the meantime. Using the attenuator before the gainclone does help with the, admittedly low level, noise but does take something away from the sound quality, although it is still a long way ahead of just having the attenuator. Regards Nigel.

Zen mod is way smarter than I am but if the noise level doesn't increase with volume it would indicate something not gain related to me. But, you do have too much gain overall. Definitely. Not good.

The fact that the hiss starts as soon as the ground on the interconnect is connected is interesting.

You can hook up headphones directly to the ba3 output, that is a good test to eliminate an issue with the ba3. Regulators, mosfets choice, etc. should make little difference if you are worried about it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.