UGS-muse preamp GB

One thing I realized, the PCB set in the GB at the moment is identical to the one I proposed on the French HCFR forum in the past and does not include the pre-regulation for the 2 preamp boards. The original reason behind is that this was an upgrade for the UGS AI design that was already including some pre-regulation stages named "simple UGS power module".
If you check the photos those are the modules I use in my preamp and they work well.
I can add them to the list of PCB to manufacture (for a total of 16 then in the kit), I just need to find the gerbers on HCFR.

As an alternative and thanks to my friend Eric.D, I am now in position to propose for this pre-regulations a PCB set based on a positive / negative Salas shunt modified by Eric to fit the UGS power needs. I never used it in my UGS muse preamp for lack of time, however the Salas shunt are very good power supplies and I tried them on the DAC I am designing currently that uses a very similar gain stage to the one used in the UGS muse and powered by Eric's modified Salas shunt and they are working really well.

So this is to propose a choice here, either with the pre regulation included in the original UGS AI or with a pair of positive / negative Salas shunt.
The only issue with the Salas shunt is that they need more current so bigger transformers that won't fit on the PCB included with the transformers / rectifiers in the GB.
But for those that will use a completely different transformer design (like Ine for example) then Salas shunt is a very good option ... :)

This long message to ask for your preference here, I will reopen the excel for you to add your need, I can propose both options too if some wants to try...

PS: Eric feel free to complement my comments if needed.

i would be in for both power supplies. the simple one and the shunt regulator please.
thx

Hi Alex,

I see you mention Salas shunt as pre-regulation. So I would ask which version of your Salas shunt (a old BiB or a new Ultra BiB).

Another question is that the shunt reg is only for pre-regulation, so what is the type of main voltage regulator you used for the UGS module?

Thanks

Hi Alex,

I see you mention Salas shunt as pre-regulation. So I would ask which version of your Salas shunt (a old BiB or a new Ultra BiB).

Another question is that the shunt reg is only for pre-regulation, so what is the type of main voltage regulator you used for the UGS module?

Thanks
The question is not for me, but may I recommend this one. Active ac/dc bridge rectifier and ultra clean signal.
Smooth Like Buttah SLB Class A PSU | Etsy

Hi Alex,

Thanks

Hi :)

Here is the schematic for the regulation for the UGS module:

And it's noice performance:
You will then see that it is in the range of many of the other controllers, but is a bit poor at 10Hz where it has 0.6 uV / SQRT (Hz)). Total integrated noise from this is about 12uV RMS up to 20kHz.

Attachments

• Power%20on%20board.JPG
    Power%20on%20board.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 364
  • Screen%20Shot%2005-25-19%20at%2003_14%20AM.PNG
    Screen%20Shot%2005-25-19%20at%2003_14%20AM.PNG
    54.6 KB · Views: 357
Alex I have updated the spreadsheet (thanks for authorization) for 1 complete set.

New to the UGS-Muse preamp concept. I have used the Salas shunts on several projects and find them to be firstrate.

If I understand correctly, the UGS-Muse has it's own power supply, but the preamps will need another supply, like the Salas BiB.

I have some Toshiba 2SJ74/2SK170 matched sets. Not sure even after reading through the threads how many pairs would be needed to complete the preamps.
Tnx
David

Since message #701 as I wrote I am maintaining a new spreadsheet with everyone's address and not public since I am not sure if you guys want to share each other contact information.
The "old" spreadsheet is just here for your preference on the pre-regulation but as I understood quickly reading the messages this morning, I will include both pre-regulation PCB options.

Hi Alex,

Thanks

Hello, this is the ultrabib 1.3 if I remember well. Eric can confirm.

Alex I have updated the spreadsheet (thanks for authorization) for 1 complete set.

New to the UGS-Muse preamp concept. I have used the Salas shunts on several projects and find them to be firstrate.

If I understand correctly, the UGS-Muse has it's own power supply, but the preamps will need another supply, like the Salas BiB.

I have some Toshiba 2SJ74/2SK170 matched sets. Not sure even after reading through the threads how many pairs would be needed to complete the preamps.
Tnx
David

The modules included in the kit are supporting only dual Jfet. But Eric made a comment earlier telling that it was probably possible to mount single get side by side.