F5Turbo Illustrated Build Guide

I am apparently confused... I am actually asking about the components on the terminal block (conveniently circled above)

I recommend you build the thing and then consider snubbers once it works and you are happy with everything. It is a complex build.

Like 6L6s states in the PSU build guide, snubbers can easily be added from the bottom of the boards.

And yes, as 6L6 had to teach me too a few months ago, the circled terminal block shows the 120v wiring from IEC wires to dual primary transformer wires. The two black circular things are CL-60 NTCs providing inrush current limiting. The blue one is a line rated cap to filter high freq noise from the power lines/grid.

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
That’s the normal Thermistors and X2/Y2 rated cap on the mains side of the transformer as shown in this schematic -

F5PSUschematic.jpg

That’s the normal Thermistors and X2/Y2 rated cap on the mains side of the transformer as shown in this schematic -

I don't see C9 listed on the UPS v3 BOM. A 3300pF ceramic disk capacitor rated for 2kV would be an appropriate choice if I'm feeding two 600VA transformers from the mains, is that right? It looks like perhaps a TDK CK45-B3DD332K in the picture but I may get the Vishay 564R20TSD33 for the additional clearance. Either of these parts would be appropriate for C9 yeah? Thanks!

Thanks- I am actually in the process of making my final adjustements to the F5 T2, it's 99% complete!

The two black circular things are CL-60 NTCs providing inrush current limiting. The blue one is a line rated cap to filter high freq noise from the power lines/grid.

and

Those are not safety caps. They have to be X or X/Y rated when across the mains.

Electronic Components Distributor - Mouser Electronics

My questions have been answered!

Terminal bridge? What's that?

That terminal block has wiring on the primary side of the transformer and the AC mains, thermistors and line cap. Has nothing to do with rectification. You'll need that regardless.

6L6-
Could you explain the function of the line capacitor? Also, how is the value determined (or is it not negotiable)?

If I understand, the CL-60 thermister (inrush current limiter) is to help preserve my mains fuse budget...?

As always, thanks!
Wes

Both 6L6 and I answered question 1 before. Wrt question 2, the CL60s serves a few functions. It is all in the name: inrush current limiter. It limits the current suring startup, so that your tranny does not blow/set off a fuse, and also and possibly equally important: saves your caps from the biggest inrush currents from the transformer itself. When a tranny starts up, ot can act almost like a short circuit on the mains fuse.

The NTC works by providing resistance when cold, and less when warm, in effect not strangling the amp whilst playing music.

I would recommend you read all about the supply in Nelsons F5T manual. Also, the BA-2 manual had some nice info on a similar supply. It is all there, though I too found a bit much to grasp in the beginning.

Last edited:
I don't think you have much to apologize for Wessideg! This thread is 67 pages long, the F5T builders thread is now 501 pages long. Forums like these, while an awesome place for smart people to chat, aren't that conducive to searching, and FINDING answers. Anyone have pointers for searching, I'm all ears! I'm much more a fan of wiki's.
This one, Wiki
Is just rarely used.

Thanks-
I missed that part of the previous responses. I circled back and found it, sorry for the redundant questions.

Agree with MrDrewk. Don’t apologize for asking! I ask a lot myself, probably way too much. But then, asking creates answers someone else might be searching for. So it is win-win. the reason I pointed you towards Nelson articles, is I have found that a lot of my questions are almost always answered in the articles. If not, someone smart or even Nelson himself has written about it either in older articles (passdiy.com) or in this very forum, as far back as 2003 and thereabouts.

But it can be a web, finding answers for everything one ponders over in a build. Luckily this forum is full of great people.

Hope everything works out, and never hesitate to ask!

Agree with MrDrewk. Don’t apologize for asking! I ask a lot myself, probably way too much. But then, asking creates answers someone else might be searching for. So it is win-win. the reason I pointed you towards Nelson articles, is I have found that a lot of my questions are almost always answered in the articles. If not, someone smart or even Nelson himself has written about it either in older articles (passdiy.com) or in this very forum, as far back as 2003 and thereabouts.

But it can be a web, finding answers for everything one ponders over in a build. Luckily this forum is full of great people.

Hope everything works out, and never hesitate to ask!

I don't think you have much to apologize for Wessideg! This thread is 67 pages long, the F5T builders thread is now 501 pages long. Forums like these, while an awesome place for smart people to chat, aren't that conducive to searching, and FINDING answers. Anyone have pointers for searching, I'm all ears! I'm much more a fan of wiki's.
This one, Wiki
Is just rarely used.

Thanks guys, almost done!
-Wes

I’m asking for your opinion about balanced to unbalanced conversion for F5T v3 in monoblocks configuration. I run 4m long interconnects and I thing that differential architecture will help me to get rid of potential RF/EMI pickup. To make each monoblock classically balanced (means doubled it like two chanes in each) isn’t practical due to $ and mostly size. On other hand, all my sources are “truth balanced” and why not to utilize that..

So, how about that one? Very simple, relatively cheap and low distortion. I think it is based on Rod’s Elliott concept described in his relevant article.

Mono Balanced to Unbalanced Audio Line Converter Adapter ULTRA LOW NOISE | eBay

Got to factor in the cost of supply power too in the above.

A simpler yet very good option is to use an input transformer at each of your monoblocks. Jensen JT11P1 x2

nash

PSUs are not concern for me since I already have 12V and 24V single pole PSUs in monoblocks that serve my soft start and speaker protection circuits.
I have similar Jansen for GND isolation. These are nice, but THD is way higher vs. this one that is based on OPAMPs.

IMG_4006.jpg

Okay-
For Q7 & Q8 I somehow have 2 options in front of me:

Replacing 2sc4793: TIP31AG or MJE15034G?

Replacing 2SA1837: TIP32AG or MJE15035G?

Sorry, it’s been a few months since I put this on pause. In one of the BOMs, there is a ‘230V, 1A’ note that is confusing me, as neither of the options I listed seem to comply. Thanks,
Wes