Aleph J illustrated build guide

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Can you help me with what input I should ground for RCA? Is it IN- that goes to ground and IN+ is an actual input? Thank you!

I am not the expert, but I used IN+ from the RCA middle connector, and the shield to ground. Along those lines, I grounded the IN- for use with the RCA connector. I use a switch on the back panel. I send all three (IN+, IN-, and ground) to the XLR plug. I connected the IN+ and ground to the RCA plug, and the switch grounds the IN- when the switch points at the RCA jack.

I am not the expert, but I used IN+ from the RCA middle connector, and the shield to ground. Along those lines, I grounded the IN- for use with the RCA connector. I use a switch on the back panel. I send all three (IN+, IN-, and ground) to the XLR plug. I connected the IN+ and ground to the RCA plug, and the switch grounds the IN- when the switch points at the RCA jack.

I was thinking about something like this with using an XLR shorting plug if I can find one.

So, I finally powered up one channel. I was able to set 0 out. However, the voltage on the output resistor at 68k R27 was 580mV. I had to rotate R27 almost to the end to read 350mV.

Also, I read about 20mV more on the other resistor, so, it's like 5% difference.

Is it all normal?

BTW, I am using 5U chassis and it does not seem to get too hot at 400mV.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
if you can't set intended Iq ( voltage across one source resistor - either R18 or R19 ) , increase value of resistor connected in series with R27 trimpot ; do not use R27B

then - if you can't set 0 output offset , and offset is positive - either increase R7 or use just R7- trimpot (without R7)

all that referring to sch in #179 ........ I can't find better one here :rofl:

whatever - be more specific , mentioning voltages and positions ; it always helps to keep things clear

Zen Mod, thank you for clarification. I can set voltages. My concern is that 1) With R27 at 68k I get about 600mV, and to set 350mV I need to set R27 almost at its end position. 2) that voltage on R18/R19 differs by about 20mV (400mV, 420mV). I am just not sure if this is normal at all, but from your response it seems that it should be normal. BTW, I am using 6L6 kit of parts.

What is sch #179?

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Remember that R27 actually set the AC current gain of the Aleph CCS. That it also effects bias is just a lucky happenstance.

If your heatsinks are up to it, (and with a 5U you should have little issue...) just set the 'bias' as high as you can until you A) can no longer zero the DC offset or B) have 65C at pin 2 of any Mosfet and 55C heatsinks.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
regarding IRFP240 : you need to ask a guy from whom you bought them , for meaning of stickers

I presume/resume that , whoever was that , he sent you them clearly grouped by matching

that's only thing important - matching ....... class of Ugs is irrelevant

upper ones need to be matched together

lower ones need to be matched together

no need to match them up to down

Last edited: