Aleph J illustrated build guide

Here is measurements between chassis and XLR pins. The black probe is connected to shield that goes to chassis

Attachments

• IMG_0363.jpeg
    IMG_0363.jpeg
    309.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0361.jpeg
    IMG_0361.jpeg
    324.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0360.jpeg
    IMG_0360.jpeg
    351.6 KB · Views: 28
Joined 2019
Paid Member
Dang, you're quick.

Measure to the lug on the chassis floor. I added a snippet above likely after you read it to do a quick resistance check between all pins within and between the jacks.

What's the black probe connected to? Why? ..... if the red wire "works"... then that connects pin 1 to the chassis. There should be 0V between pin 1 and the chassis pretty much by definition.

So sounds like I've failed to connect PSU ground to chassis...... Chassis ground and psu ground measure as an open circuit....
Best place for takeoff is the back junction jumper of the PSU that you have soldered. But before you do that, I would measure resistance between PSU gnd (mentioned jumper) and chassis, heck, even a voltage DC and AC measurement can’t hurt. Can’t hurt to also measure resistance between MOSFET middle pins and chassis too (amp off), but it looks like you have mounted the fets before soldering them so that test I expect to end up in Mohms or the high K’s.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
first check continuity between audio GND (GND on cap bank) and case; of course while amp powered off

it's either 0R if you did directly connect GND and case/safety GND, or 10-ish ohms, if there is NTC between audio GND and case/safety GND
........ or - open circuit (Ol), if you didn't connect these two in any way

which you must

Reactions: 1 user
Best place for takeoff is the back junction jumper of the PSU that you have soldered. But before you do that, I would measure voltage DC and AC between PSU gnd (mentioned jumper) and chassis. Can’t hurt to measure resistance between MOSFET middle pins and chassis too, but it looks like you have mounted the fets before soldering them so that test I expect to end up in Mohms or the high K’s.
VAC between PSU and chassis is indeed 30. DC voltage is effectively 0. Resistance between middle pin of MOSFET and chassis is open.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
The black probe is essentially connected to chassis. There are 4 connection points on the XLR socket. Pins 1,2,3 + chassis. Let me try the measurements you mentioned...
Maybe... maybe not...

IF it were connected to the chassis... and IF pin 1 was connected to the chassis, then there would be 0V between pin 1 and the chassis.

Anyway... you've got too many people typing to you all at once. I'll bow out.

But... that's why I advised taking the measurements to the mains earth / safety ground lug on the chassis floor also... if mains earth is to be your ground reference... start there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So decided to do some more testing so want to verify what I'm seeing looks correct before hooking up another $2k interface:) The teal colored trace is measurement between XLR pins as labeled in picture file name. The purple trace is measurement at speaker terminals.... Most of these are capturing power off. The Single on a smaller time scale is power on... I'm guessing that since what I'm connecting to produces +24dBU signals I should be safe with this.... I'm not too worried about the speaker thump and realize the measurements unloaded aren't completely valid...

Attachments

• Left Channel XLR Pin 1 & 2.jpeg
    Left Channel XLR Pin 1 & 2.jpeg
    434.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Left Channel XLR Pin 1 & 3.jpeg
    Left Channel XLR Pin 1 & 3.jpeg
    432.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Power On Pin 1 & 2.jpeg
    Power On Pin 1 & 2.jpeg
    440.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Right Channel XLR Pin 1 & 2.jpeg
    Right Channel XLR Pin 1 & 2.jpeg