A guide to building the Pass F4 amplifier

I'm confused because shematic is a bit strange.
C101,102 ,C4-104,C3-103 2x220uf but pcb isn't compatible.
That's why i ask if it's ok to use 470uf. plus i have ended up from 220uf when i have plenty of 470uf/50V.

Attachments

• IMG_20240404_193158.jpg
    IMG_20240404_193158.jpg
    660.2 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
TLDR - The F4 is a great buffer amp! Build it!
Beware that biasing it requires proper TL341s and maybe tweaking R5 or R8

Longer version :)

Hi, after building several Pass amps (ACA, F5, Aleph J) I decided to go for a F4. I had been playing with several iterations of the MoFo (great stuff, for the price and simplicity it is wonderful!) and wanted the same concept but a bit more powerful and transparent. The F4 is been playing since this morning and it sounds VERY good indeed.

For now, I'm using it with a custom tube preamp, designed and built by a friend and ex-partner in a small tube amp and preamp company we owned in the past. The pre is based on the PCC85 tube (I know, it's for UHF work but it sounds really good here), and is capable of driving a buffer amp to very healthy levels.

Although still playing with a modest DAC, USB-connected to a Volumio Raspberry Pi, and driving a pair of home-made Juliets (Scott Moose DCR for the Markaudio 12p), I'm really impressed with everything about the amp, especially timbre and soundstage (incredibly focused but super-wide, way outside the speakers). Speed is first-rate, on all the audio band, although no hint of hardness.

Even if nothing else, building the F4 serves to show how good the preamp is, I had only tested it with the MoFo. It has too much gain to all Pass amps I own, especially Aleph J or X150.8, which I use in my main system, balanced, direct from DirectStream dac (and I'm using the 20dB attenuator on the DAC for some of the recordings, or the digital volume control will be around 50 - in 100).

As much as I love the MoFo, all it takes is 5 minutes of the F4 to understand that they play on different leagues. I'm really curious about the match with my Martin-Logan Montis and PS Audio DirectStream. I also built and love the BA-3 FE as a preamp and it should be really good with this amp. A lot to try out, even some SET amps that finally will be able to drive some demanding speakers... ;)

Anyway...

I essentially posted to report on some troubleshooting I had to go through. When finished, I could bias the MOSFETs only to around 70 mV on the source resistors (0.47 ohm). I had to lower R5 to 5k AND replace the TL431 for the pair that came with the MOSFETs to achieve proper bias.

I bought the boards and semiconductors pack from diyaudio store and forgot that it brought along a couple of TL431, so I ordered some from Mouser and used these. Now I understand why the package includes the TL431...

Thank you very much to all, especially Nelson Pass (incredible designs and generosity!), 6L6 (for the great guide and advice on the R5) and ZenMod (for the tip to replace TL431).

BTW, even with matched devices from the store, voltage across the several source resistors is not the same, dispersion rgd the average is around 10% for the "worse" case, at least with 200mV. No sign of current hogging, but definitely some deviation. Since I believe store devices were correctly matched (no numbers on them, though), I guess some of the variation may come from the resistors (3W, 5%, which are the same I always used in the past, for the other amps anyway). No problem with offset though, easy to get it to virtually zero and it is stable (for now, amp is still open, no covers).

I'm going to let it "cook", finetune final bias/offset, install definitive speaker terminals (still using what I had at home) and then maybe I'll get some better matched resistors and change them.

Again, thank you!

Getting back to hear some more music... :))

IMG_9563.jpeg