Amp Camp Amp - ACA

there is Iron Pre , both SE and Bal iterations , choice of output autoformer left to user - Edcor, Jensen , Cinemag (pads for all 3 on pcb)

and it is chained somewhere deep in Store Dungeons

:rofl:

For ACA can we have a preamp gain of around 10db with a auto-transformer .. as well as volume control attenuation using auto-transformers .. which has more number of tapping..
ie decreasing the transformer turns on the input side (by connecting to different tapping ) will we get gain and by decreasing the transformer turns on the output will we get attenuation (volume control) .. and take this output and connect to input of ACA amp.. will it work?

clarify.

it is (somewhat ) logical , but I didn't catch what you talking about - concept , or asking about something particular?

i mean like if we have :
source ===> input buffer or single jfet gain stage ===> auto-transformer ===> aca amp ===> speakers

Now we may have a input buffer or input single jfet gain stage (both very high input impedance).. connected to a auto transformer with many taps.. then connect the auto transformer output to aca amp..

Now can we vary the taps on auto transformer connected to the input buffer and vary the gain (both above and below unity) ??
and can we vary the taps connected to output which is connected to aca amp , to vary the attenuation ie volume control?

i think with 1:1 ratio auto transformer we are getting 6db gain (ie. double the voltage). if we have more number of taps on auto transformer, can we get more gain .. say upto 10db or so?

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Mitchba, I'm using a THAT Driver card from Neurochrome that I packaged up as an SE in to BAL out preamp for my bridged ACA. It works beautifully and is easy to put together.

Skip

Greetings,

It would be helpful to me to know how you bridged the 2 ACA amps when using the balanced output from the THAT Driver. Is there a schematic that I have missed? I have tried to learn this from the thread but have not been able to find that information.

Thank you and my apologies for my ignorance.

e2sg1m4GPnTcDxyS.large

pDGG24VMXifoDPcA.large

Amp Camp Amp V1.5 Build Guide - diyAudio Guides

Best,

Anand

Last edited:
Greetings,

It would be helpful to me to know how you bridged the 2 ACA amps when using the balanced output from the THAT Driver. Is there a schematic that I have missed? I have tried to learn this from the thread but have not been able to find that information.

Thank you and my apologies for my ignorance.

My four ACA boards are 1.0 (3) and 1.1 (1) with R15 added, but no change to the feedback resistor.

I suspect a few folks who are new to the bridging concept aren't clear on the need for a pair of ACA boards (or whatever power amp units) for each channel of a bridged pair of stereo amps.

The hookup is easy. One phase of the balanced signal goes to one ACA board signal input and the other phase connects to the other ACA board signal input. The two cards share a common power supply andsignal ground. The speaker leads come from the hot (variable) signal outputs from each board (no ground connection to the speakers).

You wire it however you wish. The Neurochrome THAT driver could be built into the ACA with the only minor complication being the need for a bipolar power supply; but you need two power supplies anyway whether you package the units together or separately.

Skip

I’m jealous! I’m also in the neighborhood of 5300 but not living in the US... does this make a difference?

Question btw. being a noob at electronics. I bought two kits. Is it possible to place a switch for balanced mono or bridged SE? What will happen when my passive HATTOR preamp feeds a SE signal thrue the XLR cable when a SE source is attached like my phono preamp?

Thanks for your help!

I'm having a little trouble trouble finding a good answer to this with the search function. I built the original monoblock ACA kit when first offered and eventually sold it. I could have sworn that it had a little startup noise and the buyer was well aware of it.

I recently built this monochassis version when it was first offered in Feb/Mar and it has a farting startup noise but otherwise runs quiet and clean after. I've decided I'm going to offer it for sale in the classifieds but I can't tell from the discussions if this startup noise is normal for the design or if it might be related to the included 19V SMPS. Basically, I need to know if I need to do some troubleshooting or if it's working as intended. Any thoughts?