Amp Camp Amp - ACA

Really curious about getting a pair of ACA's for my den/home office system.

It's a small room, and I don't listen super loud. Currently I have Harbeth P3ESR's playing through an Audiolab 8000A integrated (60WPC).

The P3ESR's are fairly inefficient (83.5 db sensitivity), so probably not a great match for the ACA, but again, I don't listen at really loud levels in this space, and I sit fairly close. I'd use the ACA's in balanced (XLR) monoblock operation, so I'd be setting them up for max power.

Reason for this experiment is that I happened upon a Schiit Freya+ preamp for a really good price, and I bought it on a whim. So I need to find a use for it!

Also looking at a pair of Schiit Aegir's, which have a similar form factor, but more power. But I love the idea of building a pair of ACA's.

I did a search for Harbeth within this thread, but didn't find much. Are they too inefficient to even consider?

Nominal impedance: 6 ohms ("easy to drive").
Sensitivity: 83.5dB/2.83V/m.
Recommended amplification: >15W.

I think it would be loads of fun to try. That and you can buy two ACA kits for the price of one Aegir. :) And since you have a Freya+, then you can use the balanced outputs. Win/win in my opinion!

Freya+ is on my short "want" list.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
…P3ESR...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Not a happy impedance for the higish Rout amplifier.

Aegir has about the same power but is much happier with low impedance loads and has a much lower Rout so won’t be affected by that roller-coaster impedance.

The ACA clips very gracefully, i have not heard Aegir (i’d like to), i don;’t know how well behaved it is. I do know, from real-world tests, that an ampliifer that clips well can play louder than one as much as 10dB more powerful (ie 10x, 20w vrs 200) amplifier that does not clip as well.

Parallel ACA might be a better match than bridged/balanced.

dave

ACA-Top-View-Wired.jpg
Here's my build, completed just it on Sunday....its pretty clean with respect to wiring, and you can see the V+ wires and ground wires are pretty tidy, too.
I'd love to learn more about this user's build! Sounds like he used some premium parts... there's a thread on Audio Aficionado, too, with a little more detail.

(Trying to join that forum as well, but they're not particularly inclusive!)

Amp Camp Amp and GR-Research X-LS Encore speeakers DIY Project - AudioAficionado.org

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
While I'd call those speakers "inefficient" I'd think a pair of ACA monoblocks should have enough power to work fine for the situation you described. After all they are around the 15wpc minimum recommended, and you aren't playing them loud.

V. cool that your preamp will do balanced so you do have 3 options, one using the balanced connection and also parallel and bridged unbalanced. The parallel might be the most likely to work, but try all three, they DO sound different..

I build my ACA around zerozone board using reliable and high quality parts, ten BC capacitors 3300uf per channel, rubycon 3300uf for blocking capacitor, zetex transistor and sk170bl jfets, 0,22 ohm resistors in middle to form CRC filter, R 15 resistor tweak, 24 Volts powered linear supply. Initially I made it on massive aluminium heatsinks to test it with my raspberry pi AD 1865 dac which I previously bought from DIY NOS AD1865 DAC for Raspberry Pi - Audiophile Diyer.
Rest of my system is refurbished Linn Majik I (used only as power amp directly fed by AD 1865), my diy 2A3, and Snell KIII, previously refoamed by myself).
Recently I bought mini dissipante case from modushop, and finaly put all parts in decent box...ACA combined with Snells and AD1865 PI DAC plays very well, well timbred, with solid soundstage, and depth, detail, with marvelous and precise bass...as we know, inserting blocking capacitor on signal path adds 2nd harmonics, or "triodelike" sound, combined with A-class output and that is probably source of ACA "magic"; ...comparing it with Linn and 2A3 amplifier, I could say ACA stands high, precisely comparing ACA with triode it lacks middle and high softness, Linn Majik TDA output is powerful, but lacks fine details from ACA and triodes...
Anyway ACA combined with Snells makes me spent all my free time rolling endless playlists from Spotify and Tidal (Picore player in PI)...warm recommendation for any diy enthusiast, and don't bother about distorsions measured by some audiophile purists, they won't spoil this pure joy with my ACA...

Attachments

• 1616673549780.jpg
    1616673549780.jpg
    763.5 KB · Views: 325
  • 1616675242591.jpg
    1616675242591.jpg
    834.9 KB · Views: 328
I hope 6L6 does not mind if I post this for you, I know it is a very long thread...

There have been a couple of pictorials posted before, this one is easiest to do and understand by Mutuano. It is all external and easily reversible too.

Link the two pins in the XLR socket with a suitable loop or wire as shown. That joins the left and right inputs together.
Link the two Black speaker connections with a wire. (The Red ones are already joined internally.)
If you have wired the rear switch from the build guide step 38, make sure it is Down as in the pictures.

That's it.

Is this procedure done on both amps the exact same way? Should left side be wired opposite of the right with left rca on one amp and right rca to the other amp?

I'm wanting to do this parallel mono setup but am sort of lost.

Source is inside, see link;)...Raspberry is version 3 and a picore player with software volume piCorePlayer , with embeded spotty, also I use mconnect or bubble UPnP in android phone to stream Tidal, mconnect can stream master quality tracks; I also tried volumio and moode but picore player seems for my ears to be most "neutral", and also is very tweak friendly...ocasionally I switch cables to marantz CD, also directly fed to amp on variable by cd output...I tried also to use Linn Majik preamp to fed ACA, advantage is hardware volume and probably better control, but sound picture is not clear and tidy as it is when is directly fed in ACA from RPI dac...:nod:

Attachments

• DAC2.jpg
    DAC2.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 336
  • 1616740276289.jpg
    1616740276289.jpg
    799.6 KB · Views: 343
Is this procedure done on both amps the exact same way? Should left side be wired opposite of the right with left rca on one amp and right rca to the other amp?

I'm wanting to do this parallel mono setup but am sort of lost.

This information refers to the V1.6 build with the 2 way rear switch.
I suggest you do both amps they same way to save confusion. The switch is in the down position.

If you have the V1.8 version with the 3 way rear switch, you do not need the XLR link wire, just the Black speaker terminal link wire. You need the switch fully down. See step 17 of the V1.8 build guide: Amp Camp Amp V1.8 Change Information - diyAudio Guides

In fact as the inputs are in parallel, and the link on the XLR socket V1.6 or switch V1.8 joins them, you can use either red or white input connectors.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
BTW, after spinning some records, a friend of my daughter asked, “how much for your dad to build one for me, $3,000?” ������

Anyone who opened some fancy acclaimed hifi gear from famed audio manufacturers was probably stunned how cheap and sometimes crappy things are sold for big money...on the other hand sometimes real precious things could be made for a fistfull of dollars...I think that was probably main reason of ACA project and other similar projects...and also we all made those things not to measure all kinds of distorsions but to listen some good music:hphones: