Amp Camp Amp - ACA

ACA too much treble/high end?

Hi all -- I finished my ACA about a month ago. It's my first amp build. I really enjoyed the project. But to my ears, it's got way too much treble/high end. I'm using it with my Project Debut Carbon TT and original Elac B6's. I tried it both with a project pre and bought a bellari pre with tone control. To make it sound OK, I have to really EQ the bass up and the treble down. It's sounded this way pretty much the whole time it's been running and I've been using it an hour or two everyday. It's plenty loud enough so that's not an issue. I don't have any way to measure, so don't exactly what's coming out of the speakers as far as frequency is concerned. Could it be anything I did when building the amp? Any other thoughts or suggestions? Thanks for your help/input.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
There isn't much that could cause excess treble, in fact the design of the ACA means that even if the input coupling cap and/or the output cap were incorrect in value by factors of ten or a hundred, the top end response would remain flat.

That said, an incorrect value input cap would cause the low frequencies to suffer although in a different way to what might be expected. Same applies to the output cap.

If these two components are correct in value then the response is pretty much guaranteed to be correct.

The 'sound' of the ACA is quite speaker dependent due to the high output impedance but it wouldn't cause such pronounced effects.

If you have another amplifier that you think 'sounds right' then there might be a way to compare the response of the ACA with that one using just a meter and test tones.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
...original Elac B6

I suspect that even a mono ACA might have issues with the (ugly) impedance of this loudspeaker.

416Elacfig1.jpg

That giant impedance peak at about 2kHz will be heard.

dave

Thanks Planet 10 and Mooly for the info. The ELAC speakers sounded pretty good with my previous amp -- an early 80s vintage Harman Kardon. I don't have another pair of speakers to test with. Was planning on building some Markaudio 12P Pensils to go with the amp. But might see if I can borrow some speakers from a friend to test before I do.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You could try your Elac speakers back on the HK but this time with a low value resistor in series with each speaker feed to try an mimic the higher output impedance of the ACA. Try say a 1 ohm and a 2 ohm and see if it changes the sound when using the HK.

Joined 2020
Paid Member
Hi all -- I finished my ACA about a month ago. It's my first amp build. I really enjoyed the project. But to my ears, it's got way too much treble/high end.... Could it be anything I did when building the amp? Any other thoughts or suggestions? Thanks for your help/input.

Compared to a class AB amp like a Rega Brio, the ACA sounds much brighter to me, and with certain DAC inputs, annoyingly bright. I fixed that to my listening satisfaction with a B1 Korg NuTube preamp between the DAC and the ACA. Of note, I don't like having the B1K between the phono stage of my Rega TT and the ACA- it makes the music sound way more 'record-y' which I would describe as rolling off both the high and low end. FWIW.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

Couldn’t find a measured impedance curve*, but if anything like any other factory XO typically has really bad imedance response, enuff so to be an issue with a stereo ACA, certainly enuff to screw u a bridged pair.

<rant>*(i did find a review with lots of measures, including measured distortion [which Geddes work has shown is a mostly useless metric for speaker distortion), but not the critical impedance)</rant>

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thanks all for the discussion. I'm now actually thinking about 11MS instead of the 12P. Shorter break-in time, a bit smaller, which is fine for my small living room. I'm not running two ACAs just one, so it also might be better for that?

Neither of those 2 speakers will care much whether you use 1 or 2 ACA. A standard vented box for a monoBlok pair could be a bit larger, a good basic size is 9 litres. Most bass extracted by FHXL (i am ignoring Brodgar here) then Pensil and the other ML-TLs.

dave

Joined 2020
Paid Member
Couldn’t find a measured impedance curve*, but if anything like any other factory XO typically has really bad imedance response, enuff so to be an issue with a stereo ACA, certainly enuff to screw u a bridged pair.
dave

Thanks for looking. I tried looking myself at some point and came up flat too. I'm mostly curious about the phasing now.

Klipsch bookshelves, on pedestals. RP-150M.

ACAs have a similar affect on Klipsch Heresy IIs, for another point of reference. Granted I've only heard it in stereo, not bridged. Klipsches are a whole different animal with a bit more horsepower behind them, regardless of their efficiency. The M2X was exquisite on mine. I imagine a bridged ACA would sound really nice on them in comparison to a stereo version. Still might need to tame the high mids a little. Mine have a bright spot in the 6-8K range when playing loud. Not sure if the RPs have a similar hot spot.

Last edited:
Really curious about getting a pair of ACA's for my den/home office system.

It's a small room, and I don't listen super loud. Currently I have Harbeth P3ESR's playing through an Audiolab 8000A integrated (60WPC).

The P3ESR's are fairly inefficient (83.5 db sensitivity), so probably not a great match for the ACA, but again, I don't listen at really loud levels in this space, and I sit fairly close. I'd use the ACA's in balanced (XLR) monoblock operation, so I'd be setting them up for max power.

Reason for this experiment is that I happened upon a Schiit Freya+ preamp for a really good price, and I bought it on a whim. So I need to find a use for it!

Also looking at a pair of Schiit Aegir's, which have a similar form factor, but more power. But I love the idea of building a pair of ACA's.

I did a search for Harbeth within this thread, but didn't find much. Are they too inefficient to even consider?

Nominal impedance: 6 ohms ("easy to drive").
Sensitivity: 83.5dB/2.83V/m.
Recommended amplification: >15W.

50899558778_98bf116f81_c.jpg

50948284586_023633824e_c.jpg

50947586378_b7d49251d2_c.jpg

Last edited: