F5 Listening Impressions & Discussion

The reason I ask is that the equalizer makes differences which
are clearly measurable, for example variations in the response
curve, but typically these sorts of changes to the circuit do not
duplicate those variations.

:cool:

Interesting ,

Nelson are you saying that those sonic characteristics being described by the changes done to the F5 does not show up under empirical testing ? one would believe it would show somewhere and be measurable , not necessarily via just frequency response , but say THD, TIM, slew , etc ....

The question is not if something is measurable as much as how to correlate the measurement(s) to the sonic and subjective impression. That has proven to be a very elusive bit of holy grail. Unless you know something that no one else does?

I believe that what was said is that the changes are not simple amplitude changes like those that an EQ would make.

_-_-bear

Last edited:
I understand Nelson's statement very well and my question was not just about simple amplitude changes, as noted in my response and the good ones can correlate subjective sonic impressions to empirical data and it's associated changes.......

If we hear it , it's there , it can be measured , the main issue is what affects all hi-fi , static, single dimensional measurements taken for multi-dimensional dynamic reproduction.

GO figure ..

Bear , giving the resistor thing some thought ,

Eric had mentioned about the highs being dry on your Bear amplifier vs the H2O , are you saying a resistor change would make your amplifier sound, less dry, more musical and not able to measure these changes ?

That drastic a change , while not as easily measurable or easy to quantify as in the EQ situation, must show up somewhere.

With your experience where would you look ?

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Expencive Vishay, but might be worth a try as input resistor

Regarding difference between such exotic component and any ordinary ones, its hardly achieved by digital EQ manipulation

But then you can ask yourself whether you really need that last bit of resolution

My present AB amps use SMD, and those amp do everything I ask of them
Very fine "no limit" amps, perfectly fit fore speaker devellopment

So, my conclusion would be, SMD are just fine
But in reality it may not be that simple

But I admit that amp tweaking is not my kind of thing
I assemble, and either it works, or it doesnt
Voicing ? No, that I dont understand

Attachments

• vishay_var.jpg
    vishay_var.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 547
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Please, can you a little bit elaborate that... or it's an axiom? ;)

We could start a whole new thread "Music and technology - philosophy and lifestyle" :D

But its difficult to answer with just a few words
Well, maybe like incorporating a switchmode supply into a tubeamp
Some do, while others consider it blasfemy
Or analoge vinyl source contra digital, or even PC based or ipod, etc

Its not just about the better technology, its also about personal feelings, what makes you feel better
Anything that suits your way of life best
Building big horns could be another one
And not to forget the fullrangers

With regards to getting philosofy into hifi, I dare claim that Jean Hiraga have been one of the major players
And Lowther, etc
And I better remember to mention NelsonPass FirstWatt
Which is the reason we are here

And the axiom, classA versus digital(or classD) ? yes, I would say its an axiom too ;)

Sorry guys, off topic