F5 Listening Impressions & Discussion

Yes.F5 is much detailed amp and it can be too much detailed with very detailed speakers(Too much detail sometimes makes music unlistenable imho)

Well now with irf's i can hear all the detail,even minor things in the back stage.Of course i know how system can be too bright and unlistanable :mad: just put cheap cd player + peak at 5-8khz + bright amp and you done.
But this time i fell i need this unlistanable amp :cool:

Civiler muchias gracias ;)

Well now with irf's i can hear all the detail,even minor things in the back stage.Of course i know how system can be too bright and unlistanable :mad: just put cheap cd player + peak at 5-8khz + bright amp and you done.
But this time i fell i need this unlistanable amp :cool:

Civiler muchias gracias ;)

IMHO if you want ultra detailed system use paralelled capacitor bank(200.000uf) and put some mkp capacitors near pcb and use a very good plated signal cable(It improves details)Change the capacitors of your speakers with a good mundorf or auricap mkp cap.Use nichicon kz capacitors in your dac or soundcard that is all i think IMHO :D ( I will try these too :D )

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
(Too much detail sometimes makes music unlistenable imho)

Never :)
But I think the talk is about different issues here

There can be less details, but never more
What you point at is "unnatural pronounced details"
I would refer to it as "not balanced sound"
Detailed sound is good, but needs to be coherent and balanced
If not, it is as you say, a pain
Its mistakenly called "analytical sound"
And sure, the more detailed it gets, the harder it gets to get it balanced and coherent
One reason why some "give in", and settle with less detailed sound
And that is mistakenly called "musical sound"

But the exstremely detailed, balanced and coherent sound is the true musical one

Joined 2004
Paid Member
If you want to use toshibas successfully, you need to play around with the values........... Try to pull out the limiter transistors and see if it helps with the IRF's - if you go back to toshiba, you select different resistor values.
Different R's where? For the limiter or for the source R? Or in feedback?

I don't want to 'play'; I just want instruction.....?

In my experience, not only with the F5 but also with Aleph-X, ...... Toshiba excels at treble and matches IRFPs at mid and bass.

This is the first time that I heard Toshibas performs poorly at HF. So I can only put it down to implementation.

And yes, it is not a 1:1 substitution. The necessary changes (for my balanced version) I have already published years ago at the F5 thread.

Just my own experience,
Patrick

It is true that capacitance will increase with lower rails.
But then if you are using different devices, you have different capacitances anyway.
On top of that, capacitance is only important in combination with the source resistance.
So there are many parameters you can play to get the right frequency response.

Patrick

Nothing, just use the same values of drain & source resistors, and maybe 1mA less Idss on the JFETs. The trimpot will take care of things.

The necessary changes with Toshibas refer to gain balancing of the top and bottom halves (to obtain best performance), not due to the MOSFETs but due to the JFETs which are not true complementaries. It has already been explained in detail. I don't intend to repeat.

Some people who built my balanced version did not bother with gain balancing. They were still not unhappy with the results.

Patrick

It has nothing to do with balanced or non-balanced.
And unless you do understand fully what I said, I suggest you stick to the original schematics by Nelson.

I only bothered to make the remark about the Toshiba's because people start blaming the devices before they figure out how to use them properly.

Patrick