B1 Buffer Preamp

I've a question regarding the possible devices used in this circuit.

What happens if JFETs with lower transconductance are used than the specified ones? Given that we're not having gain in this configuration, does it change anything but the output impedance of the buffer? Which is in the default configuration mostly dominated by the output resistor, if I'm understanding things right.

I've got proper 2sk170s available, fairly well-matched, just waiting for the caps to arrive to build one of those :) I'm just curious.

I've a question regarding the possible devices used in this circuit.

What happens if JFETs with lower transconductance are used than the specified ones? Given that we're not having gain in this configuration, does it change anything but the output impedance of the buffer? Which is in the default configuration mostly dominated by the output resistor, if I'm understanding things right.

I've got proper 2sk170s available, fairly well-matched, just waiting for the caps to arrive to build one of those :) I'm just curious.
both the jFETs in the B1 should be sk170. That's a Pass design.

I have the B1 board all populated and soldered. Now I need a power supply.
Many thanks
Lucas

I like batteries as it sounds much better to me, but a wall wart also sounds good and is very convenient. Once I stick it in a final chassis I will most likely use 3x high current 6V SLA batteries for a long lasting supply. A couple of 9V last quite a long time too, at least it is exceedingly cheap to try.

I like batteries as it sounds much better to me, but a wall wart also sounds good and is very convenient. Once I stick it in a final chassis I will most likely use 3x high current 6V SLA batteries for a long lasting supply. A couple of 9V last quite a long time too, at least it is exceedingly cheap to try.

diy is all about cheap, and preferred ideas :) will you have the batteries in the case or external ?

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
What happens if JFETs with lower transconductance are used than the specified ones? Given that we're not having gain in this configuration, does it change anything but the output impedance of the buffer?

It will work fine, perhaps not the pinnacle of perfection that
you get with the 2SK170's, but very acceptable, as long as
you can get a few mA of bias.

:cool:

Yes, it was the only value I could put my hands on at a reasonable price...

I like the pot, i like the smooth volume control feel, maybe a slight light click but im not a fan of some of those dacts out there that kinda need muscle man to turn them.

The black beauty long time ago that i played with was exactly what i wanted.

J'