Death to barrel connectors!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have decided that I have already wasted enough time in my life troubleshooting poor barrel connector connectivity that wasn't obvious at first blush. So what do people use for cheap, 2 conductor, low voltage, low current (<2A), non shorting, reliable, chassis mount connections?

Last edited:
As you have spent some time checking into this subject you must know what the majority of people use daily .

I do agree that pressure contact can build up a small resistance over time and those using RCA were told to occasionally unplug and re plug them .

What you are looking for is an "interference fit " where its not just pressure but a "cutting contact " that bites into the other part of the connector somewhat like a DIN plug /socket .

While expensive connectors are available its a different story looking for a cheap alternative , I hope you find it .

While I worked for BT -UK the steel street cabinets holding the local network cable strips were converted to interference fit strips whereby you used a tool to push the wire in which bit into the insulation making a solder-less high quality connection .

Telephone exchange equipment likewise changed to this method as it was proved superior by BT scientists as long lasting in comparison to other methods.

I'm not sure what you mean by "majority of people use daily". AFAIK, for small consumer electronics products, USB power connectors dominate, even when there is no computer interface functionality. In the 90's and 00's, barrel connectors dominated, and still dominate today for laptops, etc.

You have given me an idea to look into though. Using USB connectors for non 5VDC voltage, but with gender reversed so as to avoid accidents. I'll have to cost that out.

What messes up barrel connectors is that they come in a couple different pin diameters and a couple different lengths. Many fit together even though they shouldn't be used together due to unreliable contact. I made up a little go/nogo gage from a piece of brass rod so I can quickly tell the difference for both plugs and sockets. Once you get the right parts plugged together, they work quite well.

What messes up barrel connectors is that they come in a couple different pin diameters and a couple different lengths. Many fit together even though they shouldn't be used together due to unreliable contact.

This is the understatement of the day, if not week, year, decade :D

Coaxial power connector - Wikipedia

IEC 60130-10

Type A: 5.5 mm OD, 2.1 mm ID (with optional screw lock)
Type A: 5.5 mm OD, 2.5 mm ID (with optional screw lock)
Type B: 6.0 mm OD, 2.1 mm ID
Type B: 6.0 mm OD, 2.5 mm ID
Type C: 3.8 mm OD, 1.4 mm ID
Type D: 6.3 mm OD, 3.1 mm ID
Type E: 3.4 mm OD, 1.3 mm ID

EIAJ power connectors

EIAJ-01: For 0–3.15 V. 2.5 mm OD, 0.7 mm ID.
EIAJ-02: For 3.15–6.3 V. 4.2 mm OD, 1.7 mm ID.
EIAJ-03: For 6.3–10.5 V. 5.0 mm OD, 1.7 mm ID.
EIAJ-04 (also called JSBP 4): For 10.5–13.5 V. 5.5 mm OD, 3.4 mm ID.
EIAJ-05 (also called JSBP 5): For 13.5–18 V. 6.5 mm OD, 4.4 mm ID.
EIAJ-04 and 05 have an internal male pin in the plug. The 01 through 03 sizes do not and are similar to the generic plugs in structure. These five EIAJ plugs are 9.5 mm in length and have a current rating of 2A.

DIN 45323

5.00 mm OD, 2.00 mm ID, 14 mm long?
6.00 mm OD, 1.98 mm ID

Those are just the standards. Check out the full page for just how many different barrel connectors there are.

I'm sure Your manual says "do not use any other adapter ....void warranty".
Yes there are many connectors because manufacturers want You to use their own.
They obviously want to profit from it and so the one from another manufacturer doesn't fit.

But a 12V 1A adapter is a 12V 1A adapter or isn't ?
Before talking about Chinese stuff...I'm sure Your company wants You to use that particular expensive one which has "made in China" written on it, but one thing is a poor Chinese product and another thing is a good product but made by cheap China workers.

The problem is .. You can't tell unless You crack open the box which voids warranty, but nothing stops You from changing the connectors and voiding warranties.

There could be a different connector for each different standard voltage. Say 5,9,12 V
This way there wouldn't be damage from overpowering... but wait... my wireless 12V doorbell is working fine with a 5V USB adapter.
How do we solve this ? Use an universal high voltage and then step down ?

I Have seen one time in a wedding a photographer using a XLR for powering a 230V lamp on a stand. He told me the connector broke and that one was in handy.
And I shown them all the kids in the room and told him... at least put some insulation tape on it. Thank God all my cables are marked.

I remember a few Years ago, there was a woman at one European Congress ?? and she asked why the adaptor on her left hand couldn't be like the one on the right...

Well at least for mains Voltage there are standards. Probably the ones who made the standards were zapped one time...

You have to differentiate between industrial Standards /National Standards and the financial incentive for different companies to make diverse plug and sockets for their electronic equipment like power supplies .

Having one standard means any company can supply another,s power unit thereby losing profit something the shareholders don't like --it pays to be unique .

Why do you think the US government and US Big Business take some countries businesses to court and sanctions them ?---because they make copies without paying a percentage to the originating company .

GX16 connectors are quite nice, screw lock, and low cost.

Here in Australia these are commonly sold as "microphone connectors" (quite distinct from the XLR and mini-DIN plugs you might actually find on a microphone) apparently because they were a common connector for CB radio accessories at some point in the past.

I've never seen the "GX16" terminology before but the dimensions match.

I really like the 2 and 3 pin versions for power - they're keyed for polarisation and the screw lock is handy sometimes.

Here in Australia these are commonly sold as "microphone connectors"
I believe seeing years ago these types meant for CB microphones but there was just a blob / contact in the middle and the inner insulation was made of brown fiber. Bakelite perhaps.

I know of aviation and XLR's with two sizes. Standard and "mini". The latter are usually used in in-ear-monitors or lavalier mikes. I used a mini aviation type on my Behringer mixer, since the original S-video like connector broke one of the pins.

Virtually all connectors were designed decades ago - weren't RCAs pre WW11?

The money I've wasted on really badly designed RCAs both chassis and plugs.

I really liked and used Puresonic plugs, especially the 'Balanced' type but made the mistake of buying their chassis ones - lots and lots of heat required to solder these.

Same with RCAs where the return had to be soldered to the metal barrels, again lots of heat nec.

I was going to go ahead with an order for 500 pieces of RCA where the only metal used was gold plated beryllium copper for signal and return - ergo low mass weight of 4.2g, no stupid screw and an exit of 6mm using only heat shrink to secure sheathed dielectric.

Why not go ahead - because I think that most diyers don't give a second thought to how important all aspects of signal transfer components is not important, it isn't sexy, so why bother.

The whole question of connectors needs serious investigation from a non profit basis.Too many aspects of audio construction is about cutting down production costs and then palmed off as 'scientific' - so it goes.

Dead right. Laptop style barrel connectors are crap and to make matters worse there are so many different sizes (I almost said 'standards' but that would have been an oxymoron). Despite the multitude of sizes it was still possible for my daughter to plug a weedy power brick into her gaming laptop and wonder why it kept cutting out. I forget what she blew up when a child by accidentally plugging a 24V AC wallwart transformer into. Don't get me started on poor labeling - minute text showing the voltage/power. No labeling of what product a power supply belongs to.

At least USB has some standardisation although ever changing as power demands rise.
I believe the use of USB charging on phones in place of proprietary charging plugs was forced by legislation due to too many perfectly good chargers going to landfill.
One day the same legislators may force standard laptop charge plugs as well - I can dream. Imagine a sofa with a universal laptop power point built into the arm.

Is it too much to ask for supplies to carry a large label with voltage/power?
For device sockets to be similarly marked with voltage & minimum power requirement?
Obviously it is but it shouldn't be.

I hope I haven't drifted too far off topic?

That was the topic exactly. Recently I was running around in circles making a D-Link router work. Out of one box I pulled the router, marked as needing 5VDC at 2A. Out of another I pulled a D-Link brick, marked as 5VDC at 2.5A. Barrel connector fit great. Hours of troubleshooting settings made me to think "Hmmm". Sure enough, looking in a third box yielded the correct D-Link brick, labelled as 5VDC at 2A and an even tighter fitting barrel connector. I mean really?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.