Low current constant current source

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
LM334
https://www.ti.com/product/LM334

You didn't mention whether it has to be floating, or if it will be ground referenced.
A simple discrete CCS will be cheaper but lower performance, if it will be ground referenced.
I do not need floating.
So I can use a CCS made of 2 transistors and 2 resistors. As said, 1.5V is marginal, but acceptable in my application.
I am looking for cheapest, less components.
Are they cheap current fixed source ? ( No Rset ).

The problem is the 1.5V headroom. You would need to carefully select a part with the required Id near its IDSS in order to get that approach to work. If I were to try it, I'd probably reach for some J112s or J113s first thing, as they are relatively cheap and still available with legs. I think you'd need a fair pile of them to get what you want. The BJT approach is a lot easier, and requires no selection. Anyway, you'd need a stopper resistor at the gate to keep the fet from singing, so it's really 3 components.

Set Vemitter = 1V to meet the 1.5V drop spec.

Then Re ~ ( 1V / 0.005A ) = 200R

Then Vbase ~ ( 1V + 0.6V ) = 1.6V

BETA of 2N3904 > 60, so Ibase < ( 0.005A / 60 )

For <2% error, Idivider = 50 x Ibase, so Idivider = 50 x ( 0.005A / 60 ) ~ 4mA

Then R2 = ( Vbase / Idivider ) = ( 1.6V / 0.004A ) = 400R

And for example, if your Vcc = 15V, then R1 = ( 15V - 1.6V ) / 0.004A = 3.35k

Yes, in this case you need to waste 4mA to get a 5mA CCS.

current source - Google Search

Last edited:
ATC Semitec E-452

Pinch off current 4.5mA. Dynamic impedance 0.07M ohms. Constant current voltage 3.7 - 100V. Current tolerance 15%.

Interesting devices....but not for low voltage.
This diode provides 4.5 mA for voltages over 3.7 V up to 100V.
I need 4.5mA down to 1.5V.

Solutions for my applications are:
2 transistors 2 resistors, that give a very constant current.
1 transistor 3 resistors, this gives a not so constant current but acceptable.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.