C0G/NP0 Parallel-Capacitor-Board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Difference between Polypropylene metal foil and Ceramic Capacitor.
100V - 1% - ±30 ppm/ºC Ceramic Capacitors in parallel (C0G/NP0) .... 2nd and 3rd harmonics values presented.

C0G Parallel.jpg

Yes, and similarly, our own Victor (vicnic) showed his fkp's outperforming several c0 capacitors he tried in the same spot. There's a lesson here and it's not c0g vs polypropylene, it's at the level of performance that AP wants, everything must be tested and validated.

Yes, and similarly, our own Victor (vicnic) showed his fkp's outperforming several c0 capacitors he tried in the same spot. There's a lesson here and it's not c0g vs polypropylene, it's at the level of performance that AP wants, everything must be tested and validated.
That is kina interesting. Vicnic mention that FPK (foil) is better than MKP (metalized) and I am, according to Bruce, suppose to use foil cap's rather than metalized caps. I am actually planing to replace all the electrolytic in the NC400 with FPK cap's. Looking at Victor's data, I kinda wonder if one should consider replacing the C0G as well ... this is confusing to me... lol

Low-distortion Audio-range Oscillator

Which is absolutely why I said you need to test these differences in your specific application. At least when -140 dB below I believe 2 Vrms is the goal. It's ironic you quote me and then completely missed the whole point I made.

Flipping capacitors on a NC400 seems like a fool's errand, however.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hello Jan. There are el-caps acting as supply decoupling yes. Any reason for why one want to use electrolytic other than cost savings ? Wouldn't any circuit benefit from a more stable capacitor, such as better TCR (ppm/°C) ?

Not at all. Those caps are specced as +/10% at the very best, often +50%/-10%. What's a small change with temp doing?

Here we want just 'a bunch' of capacitance to act as a charge reservoir. It's the designers' decision how much, as the benefits and requirements are conflicting. Taking into account the amp PSRR, don't use too much because that causes more EMI spray of the sharp charging pulses; not too little because it can give residual hum.

Dielectric absorbtion? Who cares in a power supply?? So you lose a few milliwatts?? Actually, some lossy elcaps are the best, because that loss absorbs some of the ripple, turning it into a bit of heat, instead of turning all of it into ground currents.

Its all about the application.

Jan

Dielectric absorbtion? Who cares in a power supply?? So you lose a few milliwatts?? Actually, some lossy elcaps are the best, because that loss absorbs some of the ripple, turning it into a bit of heat, instead of turning all of it into ground currents.

Its all about the application.

Jan
I see.. that kinda makes sense. I wish it wasn't so. What if all of the PSU and decoupling caps where PP-foil/film caps and you use shielding, the PSU in its own case, only delivering clean DC to the amplifier modules which is placed in its own chassi. Would that take care of the main ripple, RFI and EMI ?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I think Jan was hinting that some circuits and pcb's might produce undesirable behaviour if using perfect caps - parasitic resonances benefit from parasitic losses to damp them.

No I was just saying that if you think that you should put the same requirements to a power supply cap as to a signal coupling cap, that's wrong. Choose what is best for the application. Film caps in power supplies can lead to worse results just because they are lossless.

Jan

I think Jan was hinting that some circuits and pcb's might produce undesirable behaviour if using perfect caps - parasitic resonances benefit from parasitic losses to damp them.
. Thanks for clarifying :). There must be better ways to clean the signal. Ripple is stability issues, is it not?

Isn't the rule that the more accurate components are the less ripple there will be, and if you use shielding such as separate PSU and amp/electronics chassi, the less RFI and EMI there will be ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.