90 degrees mount tube sockets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi,

I am looking for some 8-pin octal tube sockets which allows mounting the tube horizontal above the PCB rather than standing vertically on it.

So I was wondering, do such tube sockets exist? Something with a bracket for 90 deg mounting, or maybe with a small PCB that mounts upright on the main PCB?

Not a tube guy at all so don't know really where to look, or whether this exists at all.

Jan

I have never seen such a thing in my 70 years, but that doesn;t mean they don't exist.

However, in pro audio there are numerous examples of horizontal tube mounting. One rack space tube preamps for example. Peavey has any number of tube amps with horizontal preamp and power amp tubes. Many examples

But in every case, the sockets are mounted to a sub-board, a smaller pc board. that board is then connected to the main board by a ribbon cable or a direct linear connector.

I would be looking to make a small socket board to mount upright on the main.

The Peavey Rockmaster Preamp is a good example, and the schematic file shows the board layout with traces, but it is too large a file for this forum. The company would send it to you upon request though. it is a one space with four 12AX7s.

Not a tube guy at all so don't know really where to look, or whether this exists at a

Hi Jan; If a power tube or regulator application is involved I would be cautious. Depending on stress levels, or whether or not grid current is involved in it's operation, sagging of the grid or filament could result in tube failure. Tube spec sheets normally say if none vertical operation is OK, but application matters as well .My 2 cents. John

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Jan; If a power tube or regulator application is involved I would be cautious. Depending on stress levels, or whether or not grid current is involved in it's operation, sagging of the grid or filament could result in tube failure. Tube spec sheets normally say if none vertical operation is OK, but application matters as well .My 2 cents. John

Yes, agreed. My app would be a vertical PCB so the tube, flat on the board, would actually stand upright. But good point, thanks,

Jan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.