Guts of a TKD potentiometer!

This is the inside of a TKD potentiometer. the surface where the wipers sweep is very shiny and smooth as you can see in pictures, even though it has gold plated contacts (looks like gold), at the tip of wipers (contact) it is not the same material as the whole wipers, they look like silver or chrome (I am not an expert in metals).Compared to the inside of an Alps potentiometer(I took one apart a few months ago)....well it looks like the TKD will last way longer than the "carbon" path of the Alps. All this reminds me the Fluke 87 and the Fluke 87III that have "carbon" path for the inputs contacts and with time people had to open the meter and "clean" it, because with a lot of use the carbon particles from trace made false contacts with other ranges in the meter and started to show crazy readings. Now the new Fluke 87V has only gold plated contacts(best)and the wipers are very soft and gentle to the contact that for sure it will last for a long, long, long time.
ok, enough of Fluke lol. Now this TKD for around $40 USD it is a very good choice to replace an old broken potentiometer. This is the TKD potentiometer that I got from Partsconnexion long time ago:
TKD 10K LOG TAPER 6R25 (2CP-601)

Attachments

• SAM_0798.JPG
    SAM_0798.JPG
    707.9 KB · Views: 2,544
  • SAM_0813.JPG
    SAM_0813.JPG
    738.6 KB · Views: 1,084
  • SAM_0811.JPG
    SAM_0811.JPG
    710.4 KB · Views: 1,072
  • SAM_0810.JPG
    SAM_0810.JPG
    718.9 KB · Views: 1,142
  • SAM_0809.JPG
    SAM_0809.JPG
    744.7 KB · Views: 2,461
  • SAM_0806.JPG
    SAM_0806.JPG
    740 KB · Views: 2,521
  • SAM_0802.JPG
    SAM_0802.JPG
    718.7 KB · Views: 2,426
  • SAM_0799.JPG
    SAM_0799.JPG
    718.7 KB · Views: 2,504
Try and you'll start to consider them no more so expensive... ;)

Yes! I agree 100%. the TKD potentiometer are very good for the money. I also agree about those 21 stepped ladder potentiometer sold on ebay. Last week I placed an order and soon I will get two of them to test and compare. I will post results. I have try many potentiometers and so far I like the TKD better.;)

Dact type 21 switched attenuators pretty good "bang for the buck" factor on these guys is hard to beat. I look forward to your analysis.

Yes, I will give them a try. I heard so many good thing about them that I must see and hear myself. They use 1% SMD resistors to keep a well balanced outputs (stereo), also they use gold plated contact. As soon as I try them I will post some comments...good or bad, they will be there!. I have Alps, TKD and Noble potentiometers they are all 10K for the test.:D

I just got them!!! They have heavy metal chassis and that will provide "extra" shielding, I wish the TKD had metal housing instead of the plastic housing:(
it is a 21 stepped ladder and so far I am impressed by it's construction quality. it has gold plated contacts even the wiper is gold plated. it has 1% SMD resistors. for the price is excellent!. Now I will have to take the TKD potentiometer and give this guy a try and find out how good or bad it sounds. I will post back my opinion in a couple days...stay tuned! ;)

Wow...surprise, surprise, surprise!!!

Finally I installed the new 21 stepped ladder potentiometer in my integrated amplifier. I measured the balance between channels and no matter in what position I turned it the balance between channels was always spot on;)
The feel of the potentiometer when you turn it is very smooth and the clicking as you turn it down or up it feels soft.
How does it sound?...Well I would say it sounds really good!!! I did not hear a difference in the sound when I compared to a TKD potentiometer...:eek:
I believe this kind of potentiometer should be considered in the use of Hi-End
gears for sure. it looks like it is a very well build and reliable potentiometer.
I would strongly recommend you to use this potentiometer as an "upgrade".
I am still surprised that this $12 potentiometer sounds the same (or better) compared to a more expensive $50 TKD potentiometer.:D

How does it sound?...Well I would say it sounds really good!!! I did not hear a difference in the sound when I compared to a TKD potentiometer...:eek:

I obviously agree that it it sounds great and it's a bargain, as I've already wrote, but a CP-2511 sounds better, more refined and with a more balanced timbre (at a MUCH higher price, sadly). ;)

Here are some pictures!

Attachments

• SAM_1132.JPG
    SAM_1132.JPG
    734 KB · Views: 348
  • SAM_1130.JPG
    SAM_1130.JPG
    729.2 KB · Views: 370
  • SAM_1129.JPG
    SAM_1129.JPG
    737.5 KB · Views: 420
  • SAM_1125.JPG
    SAM_1125.JPG
    723.4 KB · Views: 406
  • SAM_1124.JPG
    SAM_1124.JPG
    722.2 KB · Views: 1,130
  • SAM_1123.JPG
    SAM_1123.JPG
    719.4 KB · Views: 1,185
  • SAM_1120.JPG
    SAM_1120.JPG
    728 KB · Views: 1,152
  • SAM_1114.JPG
    SAM_1114.JPG
    729.9 KB · Views: 1,205
  • SAM_1113.JPG
    SAM_1113.JPG
    734.7 KB · Views: 1,189
  • SAM_1133.JPG
    SAM_1133.JPG
    721.6 KB · Views: 358
I am glad you like it!
I use one in my B1/ACA integrated. I have been using it for about 18 months now and it has been trouble free. It sounds very nice with my setup as well.

Thanks, I was surprised with the good sound of this little monster for sure:p
I have try Noble, Alps, TKD and so far I would stick to this or the TKD;)
it feels so good to turn it up/down (soft clicks). all contacts are gold plated;)