Home stereo sounding PA DIY?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My speakers are jbl 4227 and electro voice for mids and tweeter, they sound awsome, I believe klipsch also use those tweeters, a 30w hiraga can play very high music on them

Attachments

• IMG_1899.jpg
    IMG_1899.jpg
    464.1 KB · Views: 223
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    200.6 KB · Views: 363
I think PA speakers might be problematic for listening in the near field. But not for Japanese audio lovers .... ;)
But in a large home room they might put some high-end speakers to shame
My ideal PA speaker is two pieces ... a 2 ways with 12" woofer plus horn above a 15"-18" bass box
I would try the 2 ways upside down ... with the horn at ear level
Like these very nice ones ...
Unfortunately i have a very small room :(:(:(

Attachments

• dd68173fcbb8edc35119b84b54412c48.jpg
    dd68173fcbb8edc35119b84b54412c48.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
An overlooked option (and shameless marketing plug)

I probably jumped the gun: appears the OP is looking to use PA gear at the home. I wrote my "proposal" for the opposite. No matter, I let it stand as is. Some further comments on what others said, however: If it's otherwise good quality, there's no reason PA won't sound excellent in the home. In fact, it will likely be driven lightly, resulting in lower distortion. If you use active EQ, you can tune crossover points to better sound rather than amplitude. Need be far from speakers? Maybe not. I sit about perhaps ten feet from each of my Yorkville U15s, but these are virtual point source speakers, so that may be a factor. Finally, if you use EQ, tonal balance is basically a non-issue, as you can (and should) tailor the frequency response to your taste. If you're opposed to EQ, you probably are in the wrong forum. This is "diyhifi" not "audioasylum." Type carefully next time! :) While it's certainly not the only issue, I'd argue that frequency response is perhaps the largest SINGLE factor in the overall sound quality of any system.

Upon (re-) reading this forum, I note the OP's location, same (generally) as mine: Tampa. From a "love affair" several years ago, I have several (I count 9) Bose 901 (series I or II) in storage. While I never used these except in the home, they were in fact a DJ favorite "back in the day." In fact, Bose later made models such as the 802 which were essentially PA re-do of their then-current 901 model. Unless you are working a REALLY big room, I would hazard that two 901 per side would get you as loud as you'd ever need to go. This of course, assumes plenty of amp power and custom EQ. You don't need the Bose EQ, and in fact I did mine with custom PEQ. I've never worked pro audio, but I am sure you'd need subs for under (say) 100 Hz but that is normal. Also keep in mind that you won't get honest highs much above 10 KHz, if that, with the 901s. So if your requirements require your system to be able to melt ear wax at twenty paces, you'll need supplementary tweeters or some other solution. Also, if you're the stereotypical (pardon the pun) pro audio veteran, years of loud noise has turned your HF hearing to $#!+ anyway so you should be perfectly content with the 901s :D

Also note how my proposal cleverly meets the OP's desire to achieve home results with PA speakers or vice versa :cool:

OP, if interested, please send a PM and I'll get back to you. I'd probably keep two for myself, but there are easily up to three pair available and I'd let them go quite cheap.

Postscript: Why don't I use the 901s? Because I was converted to using PA speakers for the home. I use modified Yorkville Unity U15 for that Danley experience without the Danley price :) I've used a lot of different speakers in my life and I love the results I get.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The good old 802, how many of those plastic Bose have I carried around over the years? :p
For a short time Bose made a powered speaker that was like the 802 with a 12" sub. Crickey they could get loud. Actually pretty good sounding, tho a bit feedback prone.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.