Speaker build info, or other suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i understand splitting the load into two parts weight wise but taking the drivers out of the box gives me damage nightmares...what's protecting the drivers? and now i've got dead space driver "shells" and two thing to place in the truck????
transportation ergonomics are a bitch...

Last edited:
Yes I completely agree there is potential for fail. I was thinking along the lines fo the baffle / sub and grill being one removable unit. The driver is always covered except from the rear. But perhaps some protective lightweight boxes for the grill / sub / baffle unit to be put into for transportation?
It is a bit of a faff but could be a reasonable solution. Would only work in sub enclosures where the drivers are forward firing on the front, though.

Last edited:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

sorry that last post reminded me of this Community bass horn system, the driver "Turtle" could be detached from the horn flares and anyone who has schlepped these around can tell what problems that creates.
have i really been around that long that old tried stuff is becoming new again.....where's my scotch.....

Last edited:
I like the idea of splitting the spiders from the cabents but, it dose and more too Carry about. Well I’ve enquired with a gut about second hand danley sm80s or sh46s, and he’s said second hand I’m still looking at 5K. So there out of the question.

So that leaves me with either the peter Morris diy speakers or the Db technology IG4T.. I’m leaning more towards the IG4Ts at the moment, they’ll cost a bit more, but it means I won’t need any rack amps.

For subs, I’m thinking of either the FBT promaxx 15sa or building some form of 12’’ or 15” tapped horn similar to the danley TH112s?

Here’s the FBT info :
Configuration: Band pass 1 way
Built-in amplifier LF/HF: 1200W RMS
Built-in amplifier peak LF/HF: 2400w
Frequency response: 38 - 120Hz
Low Frequency woofer: 15" Neodymium with 3" VC
Maximum SPL cont/peak: 132 / 136 dB
Dispersion: Omnidirectional
Input impedance: 22kohm
Crossover Frequency: Preset Dependent
AC Power requirements: 640VA
Input connector: XLR with link out
Power cord: 5m IEC
Net Dimension (WxHxD): 507 x 585 x 605mm
Net Weight: 31kg
Transport Dimension (WxHxD): 615 x 670 x 715mm
Transport Weight: 35kg

So out of the options I’ve listed what do you guys think will give me the most punch, continues SPL and coverage ??? For 2 tops and 2 subs to start with??

If you buy compact subs like those FBTs you should get something that is designed to stack because you will need 4 for larger rooms, they would have small pockets in the top surface that the rubber feet of another box lock into. A bandpass sub like that should thump pretty good.. it's what they are good at but you may need to delay the tops a little to match up as the sub output does tend to lag some.. people call them slow. A full size 15" tapped horn(about the size of two of the FBTs would crush these and you would only need 2 but would also need a powerful amp for them.

I’ll have a look about for some 12inch or 15inch tapped horn plans or some kind of horn, the FBTs aren’t massively expensive, about £1,000 each, but I could build something for less. ..

how powerfully are we talking. I’ve stiil got two Yamaha p7000s power amps here.. this is the specs

Attachments

• 892016A7-4CE1-4866-BCAE-006F4E7280B2.jpeg
    892016A7-4CE1-4866-BCAE-006F4E7280B2.jpeg
    558 KB · Views: 57
Soo doing some research and basically narrowed it down to 2 . 12” or 15” is undecided at the moment ( unless someone can suggest something better )

THAM 12 : 42hz - 120hz 21”/13”/19”
Cubo 12 : 44hz -140hz 17”/17”/18”

THAM 15: 30hz - (120hz ?) 26”/19”/21”
Cubo 15: 40hz - 110hz 24”/24”/24”

Here what I’ve found on another thread...

So means the subs are only really going to be used for kick drum.. and every now and then bass guitar and possibly a bit of floor Tom. What do you guys think will suit me better for thudding in your Chest kick drum Indorse and out. ??

I have no personal experience with Horn load subs, except on a stadium level at big gigs, deep purple - bon jovi etc... so need advice and perspective.

Attachments

• 01AB2A87-76AB-4FD9-97FE-71E7EFA598B3.jpeg
    01AB2A87-76AB-4FD9-97FE-71E7EFA598B3.jpeg
    497 KB · Views: 62
yeah they look alright, only issue with the RCF stuff is price..and for the 8003 is weight.

i think what I'm going to do is get two DB technologies IG4T's for now and add 2 more later.. and build 2 cubo 15 subs..

i can build the subs for £150 each, give or take a little.. and they will do 102db at 44hz according to my hornrep with the speaker I've picked. i shouldn't need any lower then that for kick drum and bass guitar... plus they should weigh about 25kg and there only a 2ft square so nice and small... at that price i can afford to make them active subs and not have to worry about the rack amp.

i should be able to get the whole system for under £3,500... £500 less than i paid for my bose system at the time. it will take up less space and weigh 10kg less in total.

thanks everyone for your help. its really appreciated..

has anyone got anymore suggestions before i sick my hand in my pocket??

I think it's worth double-checking what the Cubo 15 will actually put out. 102dB at 44Hz is very quiet, unless it's at 1w input.
To give you an idea, I have some 1x15" ported cabs that will put out about 121dB at 40Hz (simulates as 123dB, but you get 2dB of losses in the port when you hit them with a 1KW sine wave).

For rock 'n' roll, you'll probably be fine with a 50Hz cutoff, which will mean you can either use smaller boxes or have more output.

Chris

Sorry I meant I’m getting 102db at 40hz and 132db at 54hz at 600w. The rms of the speaker. There’s a big drop off but it’s only a small box, there’s others about but I can’t find any solid info on them, dimensions wise the others would be better for me. There not quite as wide. From the little info I can find in the THAM15 it will go down to about 30hz.. but overall it’s a few dB quiet than the Cubo in general. The Cubo response it’s petty spikey, no where near flat. It drops off about 87hz but back up again around 112hz

well the cubo is more of a "kick" bin in the sense that it is loud but for a small range (narrow bandpass) and it needs steep high pass at the low end to prevent the cones from flying out of the box when a frequency below horn cutoff comes along at high power....

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.