Most depressing song?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How about Eels?

¨Since 1995 -or so- making music out of sadness¨
Some of the songs are potent, some others are coma inducing.
Great stuff, nevertheless.

My fav is ¨Nex Stop: This Town¨.
A wicked sense of humor navigates under those currents of doom: in that song, doing Bvox, there`s a guy called ¨Elton Jones¨...

Lot of good ones posted here. One that sticks out in my mind is from Natalie Merchant off the Tigerlilly album (yeah, I know...I'll always call them albums) called "Beloved wife" talking about an older man that's just lost his wife to a long illness and contemplates suicide since he sees no joy in facing life without her after all the years together.

Very moving.

Not totally depressing, but dark, is an obscure song from Fleetwood Mac entitles "Hard Feelings".

"Beloved wife"
Posted by Kharp

Yes, that`s a beautiful song. And the live version is very powerful.
I like too the ¨Noha`s Dove¨ version from the 10.000 Maniacs unplugged CD.

I`m remembering some Nick Cave`s song now, called ¨We Came Along this Road¨, from the ¨No More Shall We Part¨ album...

¨I left by the back door
With my wife's lover's smoking gun
I don't know what I was hoping for
I hit the road at a run
I was your lover
I was your man
There never was no other
I was your friend
Till we came along this road

I ain't sent you no letters, Ma
But I'm looking quite a trip
The world spinning beneath me, Ma
Guns blazing at my hip
You were my lover
You were my friend
There never was no other
On whom I could depend
Then we came along this road
We came along this road
We came along this road¨

Strange and powerful...

That album is a tour de force in bittersweet darkness. Highly reccomended.

Off the top of my head: how about something off Skip Spence's OAR? I've not listened to it in a while, but back when I first got it I could not put that album down. The strange thing is that, while the vibe certainly is dark, I do not find the album to be depressing; I find it uplifting.

In any case, 'Weighted Down (The Prison Song)' is certainly a fitting candidate for this thread.

Also stuff off Beck's Mellow Gold, such as 'Whiskeyclone, Hotel City 1997' -

I was born in this hotel
Washing dishes in the sink
Magazines and free soda
Trying hard not to think..

:dead: That song nails the 'blah' feeling like few others I've heard (imagine that sung in a weary baritone, with a lazy 'junkyard cowboy' backing.)

Then there's also Sea Change which is some sort of monument to depression, but I've not thoroughly digested that one yet.

Syd Barrett's stuff is also quite the downer, but in a different way - you can't help feeling sorry for the guy.

Edit: how could I have left out Cat Power's Moon Pix? That's slit-your-wrists stuff for sure - and also one of the most beautiful albums I've ever heard, period. Anyone heard her version of Moonshiner?

Edit II :)D): Neutral Milk Hotel's
Oh Comely - party stuff:

Goldaline my dear
We will fold and freeze together
Far away from here
There is sun and spring and green forever
But now we move to feel
For ourselves inside some stranger's stomach
Place your body here
Let your skin begin to blend itself with mine

(I read this bit once that argued that the characters in that song are two twin siblings who are lost in the wild and about to be eaten by beasts, but I dunno.. )

damianm said:

Then there's also Sea Change which is some sort of monument to depression, but I've not thoroughly digested that one yet.

I've been a big fan of Beck since his freak hit song "Loser" (w the refrain "I'm a loser baby, so why don't you kill me")
Sea Change is probably his best work to date, but most depressing of all is his cover of "Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometimes" from the must see film "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind". Maybe the film had an effect on my feeling of that though, as the lyrics seem hopeful. I don't think the lyrics of any one song make it depressive to my thoughts. An anti-thesis of this is the song "Loser" has almost depressively sick lyrics and yet somehow comes off pop sounding.

I'm amazed its taken until page 11 of this thread to mention Nick Cave! I'd almost given up hope of seeing his name here. "Where do we go now but nowhere" has to be up there. No More Shall we Part is a stunning album from start to finish. As for joy division, "24 hours", "the eternal", "atmosphere", "new dawn fades" and almost everything else....

Low I used to think were miserable but then figured they're tongue in cheek and actually pretty shallow (but I still like a lot of their stuff)

"faith" has to rank up with the best of the cure, along with "the kiss", "hundred years"....

there's some pretty bleak stuff by Sophia (understandably)

I could go on but I'm away from home and don't have immediate access to my music collection...

loads of stuf mentioned here I've never heard before so some surfing may need to be done.

Almost forgot: PJ (Polly Jean) Harvey: 'My Beautful Leah' (from 'Is this Desire'). You can find her lyrics in the booklet, or on the net, which I just cut & pasted here. One of the most disturbing tracks I know.

'Did you see her walking?
Did she come around here, Sir?
Black hair, brown eyes
My beautiful Leah
She was always so needing
Said, "I have no-one"
Even as I held her
She went out looking for someone

She only had nightmares,
And her sadness never lifted
And slowly over the years
Her lovely face twisted
Did she come around here, Sir?
I swear you would remember
Black hair, Brown eyes
Late September
October
November
December

It never leaves my mind
The last words she said
"If I don't find it this time,
Then I'm better off dead".

That dark enough for you guys?

My (short) list will probably be different tomorrow, but for now:

Andy Prieboy: Tomorrow Wendy

Go Betweens: Streets of Your Town (all the more-so with Grant's recent passing)

This Mortal Coil: Pretty-much all of the first two albums; the last one a little less. 'I Come and Stand at Every Door' is one tune that springs to mind...

Husky Rescue: The Good Man

Cat Power: almost anything, tho 'Names' for mine at this point.

Dead Can Dance or Lisa Gerrard (from The Mirror Pool): 'Persian Love Song' and 'Sanvean', esp. if played one after the other in that order.

Lisa Gerrard: Sacrifice

Aimee Mann: Save Me

My Friend the Chocolate Cake: Slow Way to Go Down, Turkish Story, many others...

Many artists I did not see mentioned: Depeche Mode, Beautiful South, Antony & the Johnson's, Portishead, Lamb, Crowded House, Sarah Blasko (at times)...

Cheers.

The best depressing music is by Morphine.

What about k. d. lang? She has an album called 'drag', a cover album where each song is somehow connected to smoking. 'Ain't it funny' is very sad. I usually start playing the CD, and prepare for stopping it at that song. I always feel a little worried that I won't recognize it in time. And of course I recognize it at the very first note, and it's way too late to stop. I HAVE to play it all.

Christmas card from a hooker in Minneapolis or Blue Valentine by Tom Waits is also very sad, but somehow not depressing at all. Blue Valentine features the single best guitar solo in the history of music.

I might have missed the point, these songs are very sad, but they still offer some relief. The Cure, Joy Division, let alone Nirvana is different, but this might be a reason I do not listen to them any more.

Regards. Use a sharp knife.

tr

Use a sharp knife.

Cyanide is better, don´t make scars...

:dead:

This thread is incredible: a mix of musical savvy, tastefulness, darkness and genuine love for music.

I was listening to some Pink Floyd today... ¨The Final Cut¨, with topics related to an absurd fighting between us ¨argies¨ and UK... Highly reccomended in a monthly basis, but with a warning...

Just when I was trying to decide between the stranglehold, the Luger or the microwave oven, the telephone rang... and well, I´ve never had the nerve to make the final cut.

Cheers

they were just as sad 400 years ago

There are some very sad songs from the middle ages through to the 17th century on John Harles music for the TV series "A History of Britain". Harle takes traditional songs and some works by Shakespeare and sets them very convincingly to modern arrangements.

The saddest for me are:

Sonnet 87 "farewell' sung by Willard White

and

"The Three Ravens" sung by Sarah Leonard , an interesting song described at

(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Three_Ravens)

The song is often sung by counter tenor, giving an unearthly feel to the song, but Sarah Leonards voice adds something else.

I repeat myself with suggesting "The Cure" but...
The live version of "Faith" from the backside of the "Charlotte Sometimes" maxi is humming...
It is also on the new remasters.

There´s nothing left but faith!

Digging deeper:
Fields Of The Nephilim - Love Under Will

...Tomorrows long eternal night
Gather for tomorrow
When I´m gone wait here
Discover all of earths surprises
When I´m gone wait here
I´ll send my child my last good smile....

My choice:

Pink Floyd: Lost for Words

I was spending my time in the doldrums
I was caught in the cauldron of hate
I felt persecuted and paralyzed
I thought that everything else would just wait
While you are wasting your time on your enemies
Engulfed in a fever of spite
Beyond your tunnel vision reality fades
Like shadows into the night

To martyr yourself to caution
Is not going to help at all
Because there'll be no safety in numbers
When the Right One walks out of the door

Can you see your eyes blighted by darkness?
Is it true you beat your fists on the floor?
Stuck in a world of isolation
While ivy grows over the door

So I open my door to my enemies
And I ask could we wipe the slate clean
But they tell me to please go f**k myself

Best regards

Gyuri

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.