best drum solo or recording?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ron Bushy from Iron Butterfly
In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida
17 min drum solo
'Vida outsold every record in the history of recorded music within the first year of its release"
For this achievment, Iron Butterfly was subsequently awarded: The Industry's Very First "Platinum Album"!
In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, stayed on the charts for 140 weeks, with 81 weeks in the Top Ten. To date the album has sold in excess of 30 million copies

hej there

darkfenriz, I must admit Sean Reinert is wicked, although I´m not too much into all this prog business but with Cynic or Gordian Knot he was great and sure still is! By the way try out the album "Emergent" by the latter, right at the opener, turn it up and whip cream with that kind of bass!

But anyhow since this thread is about favourite drummers and/or good drummers I´ll put my favourites down as well.

Matt Cameron - Soundgarden, Wellwater Conspiracy, Pearl Jam
Sim Cain - Rollins Band (Simple but I just love his jazzy approach)
Igor Cavalera - Sepultura (whatta power)

My favourite drummer is Mo Tucker of the Velvet Underground. Nothing fancy, but I love her primitive stuff. She's the best in my book. Other than that I can only single out Joe Morello's drum solo from the "Take Five" track, as mentioned by fcel. And, of course, classical (or quasi-classical) Chinese music. Now we're talking dynamics.

Iron Butterfly - IN-A-GADDA-DA-VIDA

IN-A-GADDA-DA-VIDA did NOT sell 30 million copies.

In fact, it did not become certified 'Platinum' (one million copies) until January 26, 1993. At that date it was given 'Four Times' Platinum status.

I doubt that it has sold an additional 26 million copies since then.

It was certified 'Gold' on December 3, 1968.

This information is freely available on the RIAA site.

Cool solo anyhow, and it influenced my favorite drum solo: Ringo on 'The End' from 'Abbey Road'.

By the way, the Beatles are at around 170 million units sold (170 platinum certifications). Whew!

Some drummers whos work I like a lot...

Airto Moreira
Lenny White
Ian Herman
Peter Erskine
Steve Gadd (did simple but good work with Simon and Garfunkel's Late in the Evening)
Gino Vanelli

I feel kind of silly mentioning these names, as I'm not the most musically educated person, and I know that there are a great many other good muso's worth mentioning.

Hey, anyone remember the drum/percussion solo on George Benson's On Broadway from the album Weekend in LA? I really wore out my uncle's LP playin that over and over...

BTW, I'm now listening to a DVD called Modern Drummer: Festival Weekend 2003. Highly recommended.

Re: Iron Butterfly - IN-A-GADDA-DA-VIDA

zumbido said:
IN-A-GADDA-DA-VIDA did NOT sell 30 million copies.

In fact, it did not become certified 'Platinum' (one million copies) until January 26, 1993. At that date it was given 'Four Times' Platinum status.

I doubt that it has sold an additional 26 million copies since then.

It was certified 'Gold' on December 3, 1968.

This information is freely available on the RIAA site.

Cool solo anyhow, and it influenced my favorite drum solo: Ringo on 'The End' from 'Abbey Road'.

By the way, the Beatles are at around 170 million units sold (170 platinum certifications). Whew!

You are wrong here follow the following link.
http://www.ironbutterfly.com/bio/

First Platinum album

Let's see...

Shall we derive our facts from the Iron Butterfly website or from the RIAA website?

The facts are as I stated. The RIAA is the organization that ACTUALLY certifies record sales.

Platinum certification came into existence in 1976.

The first Platinumª album certified by the RIAA¨ was The Eagles' Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975. This is also the biggest selling album of all-time.

I'll state it again, Iron Butterfly has a 'Multi-Platinum' certification of four million for IN-A-GADDA-DA-VIDA - that's it. I even own a copy (LP).

Credit is certainly due to Iron Butterfly for utlizing the 'LP' format with their extended performance. But let's put the "I'm positive" facts on the table.

IN-A-GADDA-DA-VIDA is not even in the top 100 albums, according to sales. Top 100 List

While I don't believe the 30m claim for a second, the RIAA site hardly tells the whole story. It seems it only counts US sales. I can't imagine half of the selection to even make a dent on the European charts. Try Garth Brooks.:D

It would have been interesting to compare it to a similar list done in Europe. Or maybe a worldwide list, meaning not just America and Europe.

phn,

You are absolutely correct about RIAA certifications. They are only for U.S. sales.

However, the 'general' rule for U.S. Recording Artists is that they can safely double the RIAA numbers to get a total worldwide sales count.

Collecting ROW (Rest of the World) royalties is a whole other matter (and subject).

This doubling of the RIAA accounting, unfortunately, will not neccessarily apply to artists that generally do not penetrate the U.S. market in an equivalent success as they may have in their native country/territory. There are plenty of 'big sellers' outside the U.S. that can't sell anyhting in the U.S. (Obviously, the Beatles, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd being exceptions albeit U.K. artists)

But this thread changed focus to a U.S. artist, Iron Butterfly. So, the RIAA number speaks for itself - four million units sold.

sweet could reasonably extrapolate total sales of IN-A-GADDA-DA-VIDA out to eight million worldwide. But not 30 million.

His assertion that IN-A-GADDA-DA-VIDA is the first platinum album is unfounded. As well as the 30 million figure.

Perhaps he's the publicist for Iron Butterfly. His rhetoric almost sounded believable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.