About the sound of Vinyl, and it crack sounds

Hi everyone,

How much scratching noise would you allow a Vinyl LP to have which could be conisdered as disturbing.
I have three scenarios,
1st. Beginning of the Record and end of the Record some scratching, one car hear but is an real low level. But no noise while Music is playing, not even on low level volume.

2nd. Just little scratching, which can be heard while recordet music plays low volume passages and not real loud scratching but would not really be reconizable while music is loud.

3. Hearable Scratchs once a while, because of bad Record surface.

I know the best there is to have no noise at all. But this is sometimes quite tricky when the Original Record has been Manufactured 20 - 50 years ago. And who ever owned the Record, did not care too much of keeping the record clean.

Especially then when the Record was manufactured as a limited edition and price would be well above the regular record price from that time back or toady.

I have some of these Records, and I also already recordet them onto my Media Data Bank, so I do not need to play the record all the time, but as you know, for Audiophiles, *Most of them* records are the A and O of Sound reproducing Media.

What do you think?
Thanks for any input.

Even my 1967 mono Sgt. Pepper album, which was originally played with a mono crystal cartridge, produces no crackling noises when played today.

It's knowing that a loud click is due to appear when the stylus reaches a certain point on my War of the Worlds LP that I find disturbing!

P.S. I don't digitise my LPs. I make a point of playing them, as I am wearing out faster than they are! :geezer:

I'm wholly spoiled by today's technology and would only accept the presence of any ticks, pops and surface noise for nostalgic reasons.

One time I bough a Jack Dejohnette / Jan Hammer album new from the student record shop and it had a full half turn of surface noise. Later when I owned the CD, my mind would "expect" to hear it on those tracks.

One time I bought a CD from a little record store in Hudson, MA. (Years later, I saw the guy as a record authority on "Antiques Roadshow") I was shocked when I played it; it was a digitized LP, complete with tics and pops - they didnt even edit out the needle drop at the beginning...

I have to wonder if it's a matter of taking good care of your records, or, is it an inevitable aspect of the media? I cant imagine an LP lasting 50-60 years, without accumulating some distinctive background noise. Maybe in time, the mind's filter just runs right along with the cut.

Thanks,
some 5 years ago I ordered EAGLES - The Long Road Out Of Eden.
180Gramm Vinyl, unpacked it. First time on the Turntable (Revox B795b) Stylus was a Ortofon Turbo3 MC, and crackling noise was there from the beginning..
Only after a 20 minutes Clean action with Ultra Sonic Cleaner, the Record was OK to Listen..

@Galu
are you sure that SGT.Peppers Album is Mono?

I have this one also, but this is Stereo,
Mine is from EMI 1967 Made in great Britain by Parlophone.
I'm aware that this Album has been made at several places all througout the globe..
then this would be a Rarity for sure, and therefore high price, also the sleeve of it, is not the same for every Album..
Nice to know.

@Galu
are you sure that SGT.Peppers Album is Mono?
Yes, it's an original mono pressing which I purchased in 1967.

The original mono pressings have 'THE GRAMOPHONE CO LTD' perimeter print on the label and 'SOLD IN U.K. SUBJECT TO RESALE PRICE CONDITIONS, SEE PRICE LISTS' above the centre spindle hole.

Not rare, but sought after.

Attachments

• Original Mono Sgt. Pepper's.jpg
    Original Mono Sgt. Pepper's.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 225
Joined 2017
Paid Member
I cant imagine an LP lasting 50-60 years, without accumulating some distinctive background noise..

Some of the records I have are like 60 yrs old (from my dad’s collection), no pops or ticks, others that I bought new were so unlistenable I got a second copy and then, grumbling, a cd of it because it was bad quality by design, so I don’t think it is due to ageing…

I really looked after my LPs, which payed dividends with regard to their continued playability as I upgraded my turntables and cartridges.

As a teenager, I bought albums with a great deal of trepidation from my local record shop where they played the records with a pickup arm weighed down by a couple of old UK penny coins! :eek:

I was so afraid I would end up with a copy the shop had played. :worried:

I was therefore greatly relieved come the day that LPs came shrink wrapped from the factory. I could then relax, assured that they hadn't been played by the record store's possibly worn out stylus.

P.S. I suspect that the weighed down pickup arm was my record shop's way of dealing with customer complaints. If a customer returned with an LP complaining that it skipped, the shop could demonstrate that there was "nothing wrong with it" by playing it with their 'groove resculpting' pickup arm!

Attachments

• 1967 One Penny Coin.jpg
    1967 One Penny Coin.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 152
Joined 2017
Paid Member
I don't digitise my LPs. I make a point of playing them, as I am wearing out faster than they are! :geezer:

Cool!
It’s a bit the opposite of my father: I once gave him a „digital concert ticket“ of the berlin philharmonics, 3 months valid from the first login, he never checked in because he wanted to record (uhm, steal) everything but did not manage to. Years later (my gift was long invalidated or lost), he got it and loves to get a concert in his crowded listening room…

In my early teens I used to play certain records with a (new) penny on the head shell to reduce skips.
Some years later I learnt the impressed 'X' near the tonearm pivot on the old auto-changers was in fact the adjuster for the anti-skate spring which inevitably slackened off over time.

Check out his one here

One time I bought a CD from a little record store in Hudson, MA. (Years later, I saw the guy as a record authority on "Antiques Roadshow") I was shocked when I played it; it was a digitized LP, complete with tics and pops - they didnt even edit out the needle drop at the beginning...
The other way around is even worse..

I've got a Steppenwolf LP which was Remastered from a CD to LP= Vinyl..
And then it happened what should not happen on Side B there is CD Jumping and Jittering to here.. You know, the way a CD Jumps and makes it's noise when it can find the Track..
And this on vinyl..
http://www.hecco.ch/movies/Steppenwolf.mov

Attachments

• Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wild.jpg
    Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wild.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Now a days you can get an ultrasonic cleaner and record rotator from ebay and thoroughly clean the records. That reduces noise due to dust and grime in the groove. Distortions from stylus damage in the groove, too much down force, worn stylus, etc., can not be fixed. Media is fragile but still great storage quality, keep the record and the stylus clean and the table adjusted properly and records will last a long time.

According to Discogs there's been 588 different vinyl pressings of Sgt Peppers around the world over the years, around 90 of those vinyl releases are mono.

Yea, your right, I just phoned up my Associate from the Record shop, and he told me the same.
I'm actually was never interested that much as long the record sounded good...
Also the early Beatles LP's, inclusive Revolver and Rubber Soul have Mono LP's as well.

My Job in that shop is to take care of everything else, but not buying and selling records.. there I'm a complete Noob..

Similar to this, I guesss

Now a days you can get an ultrasonic cleaner and record rotator from ebay and thoroughly clean the records. That reduces noise due to dust and grime in the groove. Distortions from stylus damage in the groove, too much down force, worn stylus, etc., can not be fixed. Media is fragile but still great storage quality, keep the record and the stylus clean and the table adjusted properly and records will last a long time.

this cleaner was manufactured *the Ultra Sonic Cleaner * in China, and we modified it, to use for a record Cleaner. We build 100 Units and sold them here in Switzerland. It's very efficient and out of these 100 only 2 broke down.
I also build an inexpensive record Dryer... Fast and very efficiently.
http://www.hecco.ch/movies/Record_Cleaner.mov
http://www.hecco.ch/movies/Dryer.mov

Attachments

• Record_cleaner.jpg
    Record_cleaner.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Also the early Beatles LP's, inclusive Revolver and Rubber Soul have Mono LP's as well.
There's an interesting article on The White Album here: The White Album Project | A Comprehensive Look At The Beatles Self Titled Double Album Masterpiece

"For most of The Beatles career mono was the standard and the stereo mix was something that was done as an afterthought. The band (and the producers and engineers) worked to get the mono mix just perfect and they would throw together the stereo mix rather quickly, sometimes in a very experimental fashion (as stereo was still very new.) But by 1968 mono was getting phased out and The White Album was the their final album mixed in mono.

In the US mono had already been phased out and so only the stereo mix of The White Album was released in the U.S. while in the U.K. both the mono and stereo versions were released."

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Even my 1967 mono Sgt. Pepper album, which was originally played with a mono crystal cartridge, produces no crackling noises when played today.
It's knowing that a loud click is due to appear when the stylus reaches a certain point on my War of the Worlds LP that I find disturbing!
P.S. I don't digitise my LPs. I make a point of playing them, as I am wearing out faster than they are! :geezer:

I still have a lot of my parents records, played quite a bit over the decades on an RCA Victor console stereo from 1963.
The Studiomatic record changer arm was fixed at 5.5 grams.
Yet, these old records play beautifully on my turntable today.

Goes to show, all that hype about wearing records out, "horrible" ceramic cartridges, fussing with lighter needle pressures, is just driven paranoia.

the White Album I got is stereo as well.. LOL
BTW I also got "War of the Worlds", it is one of my favored..but without hickup, neat and clean..

The Reason I digitize my records is very famous one..
Then I can listen to them in my car or where ever I might want..

There was a Docu about Sgt. Peppers... On BBC not long ago. if you find it, on the NET then take a look, is a fortune..The Beatles were so innovative, it's hard to believe..

@wiseoldtech
My Needle inclusive head's weight is set to 1.6Gramm.. For 2M Black of Ortofon, Ortofon advices to set to 1.4 if I rememeber right,, So I'm 0.2 over them... don't hurt.. The Turbo 3 *Ortofon* takes a little bit more it's set to 2.1
And with linear Tracking there is nothing to fear to wear out the record..