About the sound of Vinyl, and it crack sounds

"horrible" ceramic cartridges... just driven paranoia
My LPs were played by Decca Deram and Sonotone 9TAHC (the HC standing for High Compliance) cartridges and have survived without audible injury.

Attachments

• Decca Deram.jpg
    Decca Deram.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 118
Account Closed
Joined 2018
My LPs were played by Decca Deram and Sonotone 9TAHC (the HC standing for High Compliance) cartridges and have survived without audible injury.

I grabbed a few of the last original Electrovoice 149D stereo cartridges from Gary at Voice Of Music.
I found that those cartridges have the nicest sound, very compliant, robust output (.55v) and track perfectly at between 2 to 4 grams
The 149DF "FeatherRide" is a version on a spring-loaded mount, hard to find today.
A lot of the "better" console makers used them in their higher end units.

Attachments

• featherride-ev 149df.jpg
    featherride-ev 149df.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 109
Dust is your enemy!

I've used Watts record maintenance products since the days of Sgt. Pepper.

My original Dust Bug, Manual Parastat and Hi-Fi Parastat still stand ready to keep the enemy at bay after all these years!

Attachments

• Watts.jpg
    Watts.jpg
    585.6 KB · Views: 106
The other way around is even worse..

I've got a Steppenwolf LP which was Remastered from a CD to LP= Vinyl..
And then it happened what should not happen on Side B there is CD Jumping and Jittering to here.. You know, the way a CD Jumps and makes it's noise when it can find the Track..
And this on vinyl..
http://www.hecco.ch/movies/Steppenwolf.mov

That is funny. Maybe not to you as the purchaser, but to read! Murphy's law; if it can happen, it will - I guess both ways.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
I googled the 149D and I see them priced at $117 when, and if, New Old Stock items become available.

Here's another pic of the featheride (great name!) and its packaging:

The "DF" version is rare as hens teeth.
Although, the "D" version (diamond) is easier to hunt down.
Those are the ones I have in stock.
Easy standard 2 screw mount, they need the flat style clips for the pins.

I'd put them in the same level as the Sonotone 9TAF's, also a great ceramic.
I used to have one mounted in an older Garrard, tracking 2 to 3 grams, and with the Sonotone magnetic input adapter plugs they sounded like a pretty decent magnetic.

Steppenwolf_extended_version - Murphy would laugh out loud

That is funny. Maybe not to you as the purchaser, but to read! Murphy's law; if it can happen, it will - I guess both ways.
I can assure you that this really it is as I try to show in the video.
I could make a more Explaining video,
Turntable is Revox Linear Tracking, Head and Stylus is Ortofon 2MBlack
Weight as I already wrote is 1.6Gramms adjusted with at digital Gauge of Project which is able to measure up to 1/1000th of a gramm..See Pic.
Now that there is no wrong understanding I make a second Vid..
When head and Needle are up then we see a light on pointing at the head..
When down and playing then then light is off.
and this time I make sure that we can see the Head coming down, and as this touches the Record sound will be on right away.

Sound isn't that good because we hear the reflection of the sound, as the camera is mounted behind the loudspeakers and not in front. So sound is bouncing twice against a wall before hitting the microphone of the camera.

http://www.hecco.ch/movies/Steppenwolf_extended_version.mov
Any spelling errors then forgive me, I'm on the run have to go to my restaurant..Wife already waits and we have 20 km to drive...in 20 minutes..

Attachments

• Project_Scale.JPG
    Project_Scale.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 85
  • Project_Scale_1.JPG
    Project_Scale_1.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 54
Joined 2017
Paid Member
Dust is your enemy!

I've used Watts record maintenance products since the days of Sgt. Pepper.

My original Dust Bug, Manual Parastat and Hi-Fi Parastat still stand ready to keep the enemy at bay after all these years!

I like the dustbug too (got a red and a blue one, haha), even though it runs down the vinyl much faster than the pickup. And, since it lacks a sucker (?), it tends to wander on the plinth. But it’s still a cool accessory [emoji4]

I like the dustbug too ... even though it runs down the vinyl much faster than the pickup. And, since it lacks a sucker (?), it tends to wander on the plinth.
The nylon bristles don't track the groove perfectly, but as long as the moistened plush brush moves slowly enough across the record surface it will do its job.

An LP attracts airborne dust as it plays, and it's amazing how much is collected by the plush brush after traversing just one side!

There were two versions of the Bug's base. One base had a sucker and the other had a sticky mounting pad as shown in the attached photograph.

My sticky pad base sits nicely in the recess intended for the 45rpm adaptor on my Technics turntable.

You could probably improvise a weighted base (steel washers?) to stop your Bug from wandering. :cool:

DUST BUG WATTS - HiFi-Do McIntosh/JBL/audio-technica/Jeff Rowland/Accuphase

Attachments

• Watts Dust Bug.jpg
    Watts Dust Bug.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 60
Ionizer instead, better outcome and not WET.

@myleftear
One time wet always wet, or use one single time Moisture on your Record, you will need to use moisture all ways unless you clean the Record with Ultra Sonic Vinyl Wash machine.
If you want to prevent dust from sticking to the Record while playing, then use a Hood, or better use a Small Ionizer close to the Turn Table.. Dry and you will wonder that there is no dust on the Turntable as well as on the Record played.
It's enough if you switch the nearby Ionizer on just a minute before you play the record.
And a good Cheap Ionizer you can get here in Switzerland under a 100CHF..
BTW, Ortofon Manufacturers do not advice to use any fluid ond or wet Records or moisture, whe using their Pickups and styluses..

Enjoy weekend

Last edited:
there are so many different ways to keep record clean

I used this model and bought it from Conrad for 42CHF..
Luftionisierer und -reiniger: fur Raume bis 46 m2 | KAISER+KRAFT Schweiz

Conrad: %product-title% - Conrad Electronic Schweiz

But it din't last that long, about 9 months.. And it cleans a room of max 10 m2, more you will not feel but it's always enough to get the dust off the turn table
I DIY one, there are many circuits on the net..if you use one which has the abilty to keep Room Air Clean, then it's ok just to place them within one Meter of the turntable... and I can assure you dust will be reduced by 90%.
My turntable got a hood, so it's not so catastrophic,
About the wet kind>
In the sixties, LENCO Turntable Manufacturer brought out exactly some similar cleaning unit as has been showed here in a earlier Post. They also sold the liquid to it, and promised no more scratching Records.. they kept that promise while the Record was wet. as soon it was dry, it was not possible to listen to it. Because this liquid filled up the gaps, with the dust in it. and when dry it was like someone placed cement in the Gap.
the best for you if you have more than 100 Records, get yourself a Inexpensive (300chf)6 LT. Ultra Sound Machine, the modifying Kit you can get from me.
All Made of stainless Steel and Anodized Aluminum. the solution is barely some Destilled water and a little bit Ajax Glas cleaner and that the Record dries faster use some Isapropanol 2. 1dl on 6 Lt water.. One fillup of the tank (6lt)can be used for 200records when cleaned under 5 minutes.
Then you will clean your records 1 time in 6 months, the ultra sound or sonic, will clean them real good of dust fingerprints, glue, Candle Wax and more. also it repoles the Record so it does not load any static loadings anymore..
I have sold these machines for over 5 years with quite a hight price, and never bno one complain.. there are 94 in swiss, 2 in Serbia, 1 in montenegro, 3 in thailand all of them working. Possible to adjust the speed of the motor which is turning the Record.
also adjust time from 0 - 20 minutes and endless.
All parts are made with CNC, talking abuot the modifiying kit. that kit cost 500.- inclusive shipping, 2 year warranty on exchange, no repair. this also counts for the motor, the controller, the record holder, and it is also possible to wash singles.

But more, changing the fluid you can also wash your GF's silver and gold jewelry../
You can wash the carburator of your ancient Motorbike, or electronics components. thats all possible,
and last but not least your false teeth... all clean and neat. but as you could see in the video it makes quite some noise.. So the DIY cost 800Swiss, buy one just a small one on the marked will cost you 1500 upto 4000ChF.
Happy sunday

Last edited:
Sure they do, the same thing is with ultra sonic. It will only remove none Physical damage.
As soon the record itself is damaged, then the best cleaner can't help-
But again
WAX, Glue, and therefore even Elephant Glue, Oil, fingerprints, this all disappears with ultrasonic,
The one I build the record has only contact to the solution in the tank. No Brushes..No clothes of any kind, and because of Isopropanol 2 it will dry fast.
But to prevent the dust, I switched 3 years ago to that Ionizer, this helps more than anything else.

My experience is that record pops and clicks are most disturbing on phono equalizers (anti-RIAA EQ) built with transistors or integrated circuits. There are differences of course. But the unwanted noise is not so annoying on tube based equalizers, even if the gain, frequency response etc. main parameters are identical.

So I didn’t do it all wrong all my life long, phew! (Although dust always was/is an issue).
Please note that the red plush brush on the Dust Bug was not supposed to be "wet"! :eek:

It was intended to be barely moist, this achieved by wiping the moist wick in the neck of the bottle of Watts Parostatik fluid along its length.

The idea was to dispel static from the record surface NOT to "wet" it!

You can see the bottle of Parostatik fluid in the following image.

I still have a full bottle. :cool:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.