What CD or Music file YOU USE to test bass???

I'm still waiting for feedback.

For me bass is as multi dimentional as everything else. What I like is being able to recognize the different timbre's in one recording to another. Next it has to have the right level of impact you can feel exiting your speakers.

It must never be muddled together. In fast succession, I want to hear that each individual impact has a beginning middle and an end before the follow up kick strike. I want to hear that natural little "chiff" right before the actual bass tone, a sound that only real kick drums are capable of duplicating, its one of the tell tale signs that you its a real drum kit your ears are hearing (before your hifi system reproduces the recording of course). Natural drums by far are my favorite. That PF Cd in its entirety will show you why. The percussion in the wall might be thee best. That is one difficult call.

Good structured bass is a very multi faceted creature :)

Also share some examples, we would like to know what others reference bass with. Everyone has there favorites be it synthetic or natural. When it comes to music I am more partial to analog drums.

Movies are an all together different animal. I love things like synthetic explosions in cinema, and fireballs and missiles sizzling right past before the Ka'Boom! THX certified, loud dynamic bass.

The White Stripes have a lot of unforced organic sounding bass drum. It doesnt sound like it was tampered with too much. It packs beautiful punchiness when turned up, punch and realism. Its some of my very favorite bass packed productions. I guess I grew out of craving less quantity as it became more about bass quality.

I kinda wish they did a better production job with John Bonham's drumming. I'm not super impressed with Led Zeppelin recordings. When I listen I can't help but think how much got left on the table. Of course there are some good Zeppelin recordings. I think more of them are mediocre others lean more towards bad. Then again I haven't hear them all. The live version of Moby Dick is one of my favorites though.

Last edited:
The White Stripes have a lot of unforced organic sounding bass drum. It doesnt sound like it was tampered with too much. It packs beautiful punchiness when turned up, punch and realism. Its some of my very favorite bass packed productions. I guess I grew out of craving less quantity as it became more about bass quality.

I kinda wish they did a better production job with John Bonham's drumming. I'm not super impressed with Led Zeppelin recordings. When I listen I can't help but think how much got left on the table. Of course there are some good Zeppelin recordings. I think more of them are mediocre others lean more towards bad. Then again I haven't hear them all. The live version of Moby Dick is one of my favorites though.
Get an early pressing of LZ 1 and listen to it on a half decent TT. The later pressings are a pale imitation. (The original master tapes were lost reputedly). Of course it helps that LZ 1 is the greatest album of all time 😀.

A couple of tracks I like are
ABBA: "Soldiers" with a very clean drum and then bass, from The Visitors
The Beatles: "Come Together" from Abbey Road: lesser speakers turn this bass to mush.
Iron Maiden: "To Tame A Land" from Piece Of Mind: many speakers will just make this into a distortion hash at higher sound pressure levels.
Fleetwood Mac: "The Chain" which similar to the ABBA has a clean solo drum and then bass coming in.
The Prodigy The Fat Of The Land is another useful for crank-up tests, as is
Motorhead: No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith which can actually sound much clearer than you would ever expect.
The Who: "Eminence Front": if the bass response is well-integrated (whatever that means) you hear both the low bass with the overtones coming out.
These selections are all old by now, time to get some newer ones! And some country music! But I don't do testing for work any more so that has languished.