x-over help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have built myself a pair of really nice looking speakers...., but they sounds like some cheap crap from the supermarket.

tweeter: Morel mdt32s
Midwoofer: Audax hm130z12
Woofer: Peerless 260swr

The tweeter and mid in a 6 liter closed chamber in top and The woofer sidemount in a 55 liter enclosure reflex.

The problem is the upper midrange, maybe lower highs...
I have rebuilt the crossover 4 times,but it still sounds bad.

If someone wants to help, you are welcome....
I want it separeted so i can use my "biamping" function in the reciever. ( technics sa-da10)
I can mail all parameters you need about the drivers.

Sorry for my poor english...

Attachments

• annons.jpg
    annons.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 299
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Well, without knowing your crossover points or whatever, let's try a quick test.

Have you reversed the leads of your tweeter, so that the "+" is hooked up to the same wire the "-" of your midrange is?

Sometimes crossovers work better that way. Give it a shot, and get back to us.

PS: those speakers look SHARP!!

Very nice enclosure.

You are using very good quality drivers so that might not be the problem. Did you measure them? Did you match them (left and right)? Does the tweater-woofer have a complementary freq. curve?

Unless, your crossover is really badly designed, I don't think this is the problem (be sure that both crossover are wired exactly the same (left and right)). I know that when the midrange is over the tweeter, the crossover design is a bit different.

Also, the problem may be related to some diffraction effect that ruin the stereo imaging.

Joined 2001
Well, here are the specs for the midrange:

Impedance 8 ohms Type de fil plat
Résonance 54.94 Hz Champ 6.11 NA-1
Puissance RMS (iec) 50 W Masse mobile 7.65 gr
Sensibilité (2.83V/1m) 87.8 dB Membrane aérogel
Résistance dc 6.28 ohms Suspension gomme
Inductance 0.33 mH Saladier zamack
Excursion ± 3.1 mm Poids total 1.1 kg
Qms 4.78
Qes 0.44
Qts 0.41
Vas 10.69 l
Diamètre bobine 25 mm
Hauteur bobine 11.2 mm
Support kapton
Nb. couches 1

And here is the frequency response and impedance curve:

Attachments

• audax hm130z12.gif
    audax hm130z12.gif
    15.3 KB · Views: 258
Joined 2001
François said:
Your are learning french?? :)

LOL, I'm afraid not, though it would not be a bad idea to try. ;) ;) Have a few years of Spanish that I keep telling myself I will refresh by picking up a Spanish language newspaper here, but I never do. :( :(

It's just that the Audax English site has been down for a couple of weeks now, and it turns out the French site is working fine. So there I go. The labels are pretty much the same, so it works fine. If I pick up a few words of French along the way, so much the better. Probably mangle the pronunciation though.

As for crossover point and order, I'll check some of the Audax kits to see if they have crossed this woofer over before. I'll put up a graph of the tweeter tomorrow, then throw it open to the forum, yourself included of course, for ideas about crossover points and order.

One more thing...
Surfing thru internet, i found an article about series crossover.
Can i combine this with a ordinary filter fx. a series filter to mid/tweeter and an ordinary to the woofer?
I don`t know how to work it out if i still wants to go with my biamping.
Her you can see my first try on a series filter.

Attachments

• mitt seriefilter.jpg
    mitt seriefilter.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 198
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.