What happen to my sub!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mikka

Quote "But the bass is more stable and powerful. It can shake the floor in low volume."

I think that if you measured the frequency response of the subwoofer now you would find it is much different than a new one of the same model. The cone is now heavyer and the Fr is lower than before. This will change the tuning of the box.

If you like the result, that's fine, just know what has happened and why.

Later
Bruce:geezer:

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Mikka:

Good for you. You stuck with something and got it working again to your satisfaction.

David Weems, who writes books and articles on audio subjects, has written about adding various things, including toothpicks, to stiffen a cone. However, he makes it clear that these ideas are to be used for cheaper speakers that the owner doesn't care about that much.

In your case, it was an emergency situation, so, as another poster said, you had nothing to lose.

Weems has suggested, for the repair of ripped cones, a thin layer of epoxy glue to repair the rip. I ripped a PA speaker once, and the epoxy repaired it beautifully. And the epoxy is stiff, for sure.

If the starch thing doesn't work, I suggest trying epoxy glue over the entire surface of the cone. Weems did not recommend that, I am just suggesting taking the repair one step further.

You might try putting it on the back of the speaker cone, since the front is coated with wax, which the epoxy might not stick to. Hopefully, the wax did not soak all the way through. Epoxy is heavy, so make the coating thin. I liked the industrial stuff, that comes in two cans that have to be mixed. The liquid stuff I found less effective, generally.

There is another type of glue that is frequently mentioned here to stiffen cones. I'll try to remember it-I never used it.

Incidentally, adding things to cones is generally not recommended. But I do believe that the greatest danger is resonances in the midrange and above. Since this is a subwoofer, which does not play those ranges, there is at least a fighting chance that you did not affect the frequency response too badly.

Good luck! :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.