Lost in home audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So here is the deal. Basically I am leaving for school and living in a house with 5 other guys. I already have 2 bose direct reflecting speakers with 6in driver that I want to move to use at the rear speakers and a jbl 150 watt powered sub. So what I begin to wonder is what I am looking for in my new front speakers. I watch plenty of movies and listen mainly to rock(man I love those guitar solos) and at times prolly at some decently loud sound levels. However, the speakers will be in my room and in a protected environment so i dont want to sacrifice any quality for loudness. I really dont know where to start looking, I was starting to lean towards 2way speakers but then started to worry about losing sound depth, but also wonder if I really need towers at this point. Well any information to get me started would be great and im sure you response will spur many more questions.

Thanks for the help guys
Andy

There's so much to choose from it's impossible to make a recommendation based solely on the information you've provided. I find that for rock music compression horns are favored (think Klipsch RB-75) and guitar solos step forward with a good mid-range in a 3-way system. However, in a small room that could easily be overkill. What's your budget anyway?

Well i am looking at somewhere in the 500 range if at all possible but could possibly splurge if I find something I really like. I have heard the klipsh Rf-15's but they were pretty lame for a 3-way in my opinion. I was looking into the phase technology's v8 but kinda was scared off because they were bookshelf however I did like the sound. Do you really think I would sacrifice that much sound depth and quality going with a 2way over a 3way or if i find a quality pair it wont be that noticable. And secondly, I read somewhere about that you dont want you mid range drive to much bigger than your tweeter because you begin to have a sound gap. Any truth to that?

Thanks
Andy

If you're not afraid of making your own large boxes, I'd recommend a set of these in big bass reflex cabs. The crossover is even built in--no muss, no fuss.

For a little over $300 + wood, you'd have a set of truly high performance speakers. They'd be 96db/w efficient and capable of huge SPL--in short, big rockin' party factor, and no sub required. Honestly, I believe you would be amazed when comparing them to other speakers you've heard.

I've got a lightly used set of these on my shelf waiting for cabs. Actually, I'd probably be willing to sell them to you if you're interested since I've got so many other projects ahead of them and so little time.

I second what Bill says. I have a pair of the 12" woofer version of those Selenium coaxials and use them with the factory supplied crossover. They are pretty good music drivers. They are awesome as L-R mains in a HT setup. They even come on sale once in a while at P.E.

I’m pretty impressed with these Seleniums, but I haven’t met many people who have tried them. However, I’ve read positive reviews of the HF compression drivers they use. Coaxials generally have a lot going for them, and these seem like excellent values.

Here's a sim of what I'm suggesting--the speakers I wish I'd had in college.

Put each Selenium 15CO1P in a 12cu. ft. box tuned with 2 ports (4" dia., 2.5" long). The green line shows the response with both ports open--tuning freq. is 32Hz. This would be the setting for punchy bass.

Block one of the ports (with a rubber pipe plug available at most any hardware store), and you'd have the response shown by the orange line--sort of an EBS alignment tuned to 23Hz. This would be the setting with less audible group delay for more critical listening to music that doesn't call for so much bass punch.

Two different speakers in one--nifty, huh?

These graphs simulate response at only 20w of input power. Notice that even at this relatively low level, SPL is close to 110dB--and that's just one channel anechoic.

Heaps big fun, I'd say.

Edit:

If these are simply too huge and overpowering, I'd recommend the 12" version RCAVictim mentioned. You could put them in 3cu. ft. sealed boxes and cross them to your sub at around 60Hz . . . although I'm not entirely sure your sub could keep up. :)

Attachments

• selenium 15co1p sims 1.jpg
    selenium 15co1p sims 1.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 883
alright guys, well you got all techy on me and well pretty much confused the hell out of me so mabye we need to take a few steps back and start from the very begining. My first thought was actually to build my own speakers but i really wouldnt know how to tune them so my second thought was to buy pre-bought boxes. I would much rather do that just cause I am a more hands on kinda guy but i lack the know how in this subject. I would love to have a pair of 12's or even 15's that way i could rival my roommates 15's. So if you guys would like to help me get started Im all ears. just let me know what i need to start doing and could you say a little more about your previous ideas but on a more novice level so I can begin to understand what you are trying to tell me.

And i do belive a 15cu ft box would be a little large for my room, but in my opinion bigger is always better, just not that big.

So what do you guy got for me?

Finally getting some where,
andy

bartram02,

I think you missed the point. This is a coaxial speaker. You don't need a midrange or tweeter plus the crossover is part of the speaker.

Here are the specs from Parts Express:

Specifications: * Power handling: 250 watts RMS/355 watts max (conservative) * Voice coil diameter (woofer): 2.4" * Voice coil inductance (woofer): .70 mH * Nominal impedance: 8 ohms * DC resistance: 5.23 ohms * Frequency response: 40-18,000 Hz * Magnet weight: 91 oz. * Fs: 44.1 Hz * SPL: 96 dB 1W/1m * Vas: 7.43 cu. ft. * Qms: 6.83 * Qes: .67 * Qts: .61 * Xmax: 4.4 mm * Dimensions: Overall Diameter: 15", Cutout Diameter: 13-3/4", Mounting Depth: 8-1/4"

Note the frequency response. This is a full range driver, and an excellent one at that. This will outperform most of the 3 way systems out there in the $500 price range.

alright, so now i have two great speaker options, tim your speakers sound great as well as the 15's bill suggested just because then i can possibly blow my roomy out of hisw room. moving on past that should i look for prebuilt boxes so i dont screw things up? Would it be easier or would it be hard to match these speakers to a box?

i wouldn't bother with pre-built boxes for starters i'd bet you'll have a hell of a job getting them the right size secondly the materials will be cheap and build quality questionable

find a wood yard / diy store with a wall saw and get them to cut your panels for you that way everything should line up properly and its just a matter of glueing and screwing

use mdf it's cheap and durable just DON'T EVER GET THEM WET!

get an adjustable hole cutter drill attachment for the ports borrow someones jigsaw (or router if at all poss) for the speaker

just make sure you add some bracing front to back and side to side

countersink the screws and fill the holes with a fine car filler and sand flush

find some drainpipe the right size for the ports

give it a lick of paint

easy...

Synergy pretty much spelled it all out for you already. Speaker construction really doesn't get any simpler.

For the 15" Selenium, build a box out of MDF pretty much any shape you want as long as it contains 12cu. ft. of space, give or take half a cu. ft. or so. If it were me, I probably go about 20" wide x 48" high x 28" deep (this is oversized to allow for bracing inside). The beefier you build it, the better, but don't get carried away. Just make sure you brace it internally to keep the panels from vibrating. Add as much bracing as you like, again the more the merrier, but remember you need to end up with 12cu. ft. inside when you're done.

Seal the seams inside with caulk to keep the box airtight.

Line the inside walls with pink insulation, capet pad, or some other means of sound damping.

Close the box up, then cut a hole on the front properly sized for the driver.

Cut a hole on the back for an input terminal.

Cut two holes the outside diameter of 4" ID PVC pipe for the reflex ports. Put them wherever you want as long as they're spaced at least a couple inches away from the nearest sidewall and each other. Glue a couple 2.5" sections of pipe into the holes--epoxy would probably work great here. Make sure they're not blocked by any lining material, box bracing, or room wall when you set them up.

Spray on a coat or two of paint for looks and to protect the MDF.

run wire from the input terminal to the driver, screw the terminal and driver into the box, hook them up to your stereo, and be amazed at what you've created.

I've heard good things about the 12.1, and I'd recommend it if you're not afraid of a little more complexity, like building your own crossover.

It's going to make less bass than the Selenium and not be able to go as loud as cleanly, but it is a good deal smaller package. And hey--now you've got a blueprint! :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.