Lost in home audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
okay, i was totally just thinking that since these speakers are going to be sitting on an entertainment center, are these going to affect my tv picture? is there something i can do to prevent this or no need to worry? they will be sitting less than 2 feet from my tv? problem or not?

Andy

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I accidently set one of my Seleniums next to my TV and the pic color stayed distorted for quite a while after. (Months)

Hmmmm. Why didn't we think of this?
I guess we visualized you rocking out more than watching movies.
Yet you HAD said that you wanted them for HT also.

Hmmmmm This might require a rethink
Good catch!

What? I thought you were gonna build these on the weekend now passed.

What kind of TV are you worried about affecting? I ask because some are more sensitive than others.

I'd say build the damned speakers and worry about the TV later. You may be able to use a ferrite ring magnet on the ouside of the cabinet in the vicinity of the TV between each speaker and the TV to nullify the field created by the Seleniums. Placement to be found experimentally by moving the speakers towards the TV in gradual steps.

If you have a plasma or LCD TV, speaker placement won't matter. If you have a regular CRT TV then you're talking about needing 3-4ft of distance. There's special metal, MU metal, for magnetic shielding that you could use, but more efficient money wise would be steel plate magnetically separating the TV from your speakers. Even a relatively thin plate should enable you to have them within a foot or so. Search this forum for more info.

Post #5
Galvanised sheet metal 20-24gauge do a nice job ,try it between
you speaker box and tv screen before final fixing inside.

I found this on another discussion. Where can i find sheet iron and how think would I need?

Also, does box shape matter if volume is the same. I might go a litte shorter and a bit wider

Andy

Bill F. said:
Andy,

If you can find a deep metal bowl, like a dog dish, or even an industrial-size tin can big enough to slip over the magnets, either of those should provide pretty good shielding, too.

If you decide on sheet iron, check local welding shops and salvage yards.

Bill,

I'd have to disagree with this idea. This driver has a large crossover module bolted to the side of the magnet assembly making placing a close fitting 'can' impossible. Next, imagine the sonic ringing and problems that placing a resonator with open end into the rear half of a 15" driver might do to the sound.

You're right--I'd forgotten about the crossover. :rolleyes: Better go with the sheet.

You're also right that an untreated can would be a nice resonator--I was taking for granted that it would also be stuffed with damping material, but in the context of this thread, I shouldn't have left it unsaid.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I meaured how far my current 15" driver in a 20" wide cabinet is away from my TV. It's 2'-4" from the edge of the TV to the edge of the speaker box. They don't appear to affect the picture

The drivers I'm now using have quite a bit bigger magnets than yours would be. I would think that you would want the speakers at least this far from the screen, for decent audio separation.

When you say less than 2' from the screen, do you mean edge of speaker box to edge of screen? If so, probably you are OK if you can make it a real 2' or a little more. If there is a problem, can
you move them further away? Whatever you eventually do, I would suggest starteing with them 3' from the screen (even if your shelves don't go this far) and slowly moving them closer and closer to the screen while it is on, and have someone watch for effects. If there is a slight problem, then try the suggested fixes.
First just try sliding a piece if sheet metal against the speakers, between the speakers and the sceeen. before attaching it to the actual speaker box. If you can't find a decent sized sheet, there are heating sheet metal contractors which can cut you a sheet of steel for pretty cheap.

Yes, do tell us how these went. I just noticed they are on for 100 bucks again and I think I'll grab me a couple.

Edit: They're on the way, two or three weeks from now they should be here.

$257 USD including freight, plus 7% Canadian GST. So for about $335 Cdn, I shall have more drivers for the shelves.

Cal

Another edit: I am begiining to question my post script. I'm not sure which group I fit into. More speakers, just what I need :D Good thing I'm not married.

im startin to like the sounds of these 12CO1P and 15CO1P coax's. im glad that www.cannonsound.com.au distributes them in australia :D

im starting to get some ideas in my head into getting these.

i also thinking, i not really liking the look of a single coax driver in a box. looks weird having one driver.. (just my eyes)

instead of having a port, i am thinking of having a PR in the box, so it acts like there is two drivers in a box instead of one. i now on the hunt
to find a PR now.

i know i sound insane but having a 12" or 15" speaker in a box with soooo much front panel space left, just seems a bit of a waste to me.....

jus my opinion...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.