ScanSpeak 22W8534G vs SB23NRXS45-8 vs ?

I am looking for an 8" woofer for a sealed box application, about 30 liter, 3-way active system. The woofer will cross to a mid driver at about 300 Hz, the amp would prefer an 8 ohm driver. The budget for the woofer is about $100, +/- 25%.

I am comparing the SS 22W8534G (discovery) and the SB23NRXS45-8 (hard paper cone). I am also looking at the SB23NBACS45-8 (aluminum cone). When I model them as sealed box with a Linkwitz Transform, the performance of all three are within a dB. In general, I can get a response flat to 40 Hz, with -3 dB at around 32 Hz. The SS has higher sensitivity but requires a bit more EQ on the bass end. The SB23NBAC aluminum cone is the least sensitive, but requires the least EQ in the bass. The SB23NRX is in the middle... it is also back ordered in the US right now.

From a model standpoint, I could just pick a name from a hat... any of the three would do fine. I think that is a function of the sealed box with LT EQ, it is a very forgiving bass alignment.

Is there another factor I should be considering?

Are there other woofers I should look at?

(edit) what I am interested in is the thought process that other use to select a woofer for this kind of application.

Thanks!

j.

Attachments

• SB23NRXS45-8 Rev-1.pdf
    739.5 KB · Views: 98
  • SB23NBACS45-8.pdf
    571.2 KB · Views: 97
  • ScanSpeak-22w-8534g00.pdf
    289.9 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Qts should be a metric. The old Vifa 8" for sealed is still available it seems Vifa M21WG-09-08 Woofer - Heybrook HB1, JPW P1, AP2, AP3 replacement

The Wavecor 8" is another one to model against the SB and SS Wavecor WF223BD02 8-3/4" Balanced Drive Paper/Glass Fiber Cone Mid-Woofer 8 Ohm
Wavecor... did you even read the previous post?

@hifijim

Have you considered also Seas CD22 and Eton Orchestra drivers?

I had the same issues, but left SS out as its bass depth is very weak, and purchased SB23Nbac just because I wanted aluminium cone. Just check the Seas offerings as well.

Last edited:
I think the Beyma 8BR40/N may even be better for this. A bit more low without eq so easier to eq i think. And it's cheaper also (at least here). I don't know if you can find it in the USA altough...

And the Peerless HDS-P830869 could also be a good candidate i think.

I am looking for an 8" woofer for a sealed box application, about 30 liter, 3-way active system. The woofer will cross to a mid driver at about 300 Hz, the amp would prefer an 8 ohm driver. The budget for the woofer is about $100, +/- 25%.

(edit) what I am interested in is the thought process that other use to select a woofer for this kind of application.

Thanks!

j.

I focus on the point made in the edit. This is not a kind of speaker I'd make now, but it's interesting to see if my decision-making process makes sense.

It's an active design, so fs/Qts etc. won't matter much - these three units are almost identical anyway in that respect. Below 300Hz, cone material isn't likely to make much difference. Again, there's an active crossover to deal with cone-edge modes etc., so aluminum isn't an advantage.

How loud and low are you aiming for? The three units all reach datasheet xmax by mid-90s dB at 1m at 50Hz. I've assumed "full space" at that frequency - you can consider room gain in the intended application. That suggests they will be excursion limited, more so than power limited - of course that depends on the program material and EQ you choose to apply. This could change if crossed to a subwoofer at 80Hz or so.

Assuming no subwoofer, I'd choose according to which has the best motor. The datasheets don't give many clues - but based on what I've seen/read there is a chance that the SB ones have a more modern and possibly better magnetic design, but there might not be much in it.

Of the other suggestions, I also looked at William Cowan's - SB23MFCL45. That has larger xmax and likely also a motor that is otherwise optimized for longer stroke - allowing several dB more undistorted output at ~50Hz. Sensitivity is reduced, but only slightly - the datasheets show voltage sensitivity, so look carefully at the impedance: this one seems to be an amp-friendly load. If you agree about the excursion vs. power limit, in your application, the small loss in sensitivity shouldn't be a problem.

Ken

Last edited:
Java’s Shadzi and Jeff Bagby used 2 of the SB23CAC in a 2cuft (56l) closed box in the Ceramicos. So one in a 30l would be about right.

+1 On the SB Acoustics SB23CACS45-4 8" ceramic, I listen to them all day long in a sealed 32l enclosure, no complaints. I don't think you will make an f3 of 50hz without a lot of boost. This is an outside measurement so no room gain. I crossed at 450hz if it matters.

Attachments

• SB12MNRX2-25-4.jpg
    SB12MNRX2-25-4.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 302