Kartesian Cox165_vPA reviews?

I have bought 3 Cox165 for a new LCR front. I'm working on a first prototype, but must say that measurements in a simple 10 l closed box a far from the data sheet measurements. On axis here are a lot of notches and only 10deg off axis they are becoming more linear. I think the problem is the lines tube with no expansion from the compression driver to the cone of the bass driver. It seems they get some resonances in that tube.

Attached: frequency response for 0,10,20 degrees

Attachments

• Cox165-0-10-20.jpg
    Cox165-0-10-20.jpg
    362.7 KB · Views: 613
krivium, are you referring to the dips @6kHz and 9kHz? If so, you may appreciate the KEF coaxial drivers are almost completely free of these anomalies. The transition of the dome (tangerine structure) into the cone is far superior over other 5/6"coaxes.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Boden,
Yes i am refering to the 6khz and 9khz dip on axis.

I was a bit optimistic ( pessimistic i should say) in saying 'all' coax i've heard as this is not true: the last generation Genelec's studio monitors (8351) doesn't have this kind of behavior, neither the Cabasse coax they used in the 90's and their new range ( La Sphere which is three way anular).
Both brands use the same kind of technology to me with 'anular' driver over the tweeter.

You'll say this is of no interest as they aren't availlable for diyers anyway... and i would agree!

Yes the Kef's are interesting but i must confess i'm not this interested in smaller coax ( 8" is minimum for my own preference) as i favour the directivity control larger ones allow ( 12/15") and prefer CD to dome tweeters.

That said the behavior on axis is not really different from the one experienced by Pahoffma anyway. And one of the main cons opposed to coax is the 'ragged' high end.

Tbh for me it is purely theorical as in practice i'm not bothered by that this much.
Yes some other solutions are way better in the high but the compromise to be made doesn't compensate the coherency (overall) coax exhibits to my preference and as i said i listen them off axis (thanks to toe in).

Well all this is nice except it doesn't matter to Dspverden or Pahoffma anyway...

I'll follow the thread as im interested in what third party think of it.

Here are my REW measurements for the low and compression driver part. They were taken outdoors on a 2m stand. The UMIK-1 was at a distance of 50cm. Absolute SPL values are certainly not correct ,but the they are correct as relative SPL values.
I have also made an additional waveguide which makes an extension to the bass drivers flare rate and smoothens things out a little bit, but further investigations and testing are necessary

Attachments

• Cox165-L-0-50.jpg
    Cox165-L-0-50.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 526
  • Cox165-H-0-50.jpg
    Cox165-H-0-50.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 490
Here are my REW measurements for the low and compression driver part. They were taken outdoors on a 2m stand. The UMIK-1 was at a distance of 50cm. Absolute SPL values are certainly not correct ,but the they are correct as relative SPL values.
I have also made an additional waveguide which makes an extension to the bass drivers flare rate and smoothens things out a little bit, but further investigations and testing are necessary

Im concerned about the severe dip at 1.5k that is no doubt audible

Would you like share some details regarding the waveguide you are using? I was sketching something similar for the smaller cox120 in the neighboring thread.