Eminence Kappalite Coaxials - another 12" two-way coax monitor project?

This post perhaps belong in the PA section but I use PA drivers for home audio projects to achieve some dynamics so bear with me.

I have used Eminence Beta coaxials in recent projects and fairly happy with those however with some peaks and slopes around crossover area.

I see now that Eminence have a new line of coaxials with neodynium magnets 10", 12" and 15" for 2-way monitoring purposes with 1" compression driver, Kappalite series to my understanding is of higher quality in both build and sound compared to Betas however price is quite a lot more.

The 12" looks especially interesting with a flat freq resp and nice roll off maybe suitable for home studio usage.
With the suggested matching crossover and HF driver I think Im up for another 50l project perhaps next summer and will start some drawings and calculations.

Eminence KappaLite KL3012CX-8 12 inch high power coaxial speaker with lightweight neodymium magnet. The Eminence KappaLite KL3012CX-8 is a 12" 8 ohm coaxial speaker.
Eminence PSD2002S 1" screw on high frequency compression driver. Eminence PSD2002S high frequency drivers available now at US Speaker
Eminence pxb2-1K6. The Eminence pxb21K6 is a 1600Hz 2-way crossover. The Eminence pxb2-1k6 1.6kHz two way crossover handles 400 watts RMS.

Anyone tried these yet?

Can we expect a price drop after some time in the market?

On a side note I must say diy, diyaudio and audio in general is a life saving hobby in these corona times.

I’m interested in such a project as well.....the new Eminence Coax are clearly a cut above the Beta stuff......much smoothe response in their passband.

Patrick Bateman had some thoughts on phase plugs and what Kef is doing with the Tangerine tweeter in their coaxs.......I think a DIY application here with the right compression driver might take these drivers to the critical hifi level.....the DIY soundgroup stuff while well thought out, appears to be more focused on efficiency and high output for theater applications.

there's a link on the diysg forum but I'm having a hard time getting it on here!
it at HiFiCircuit

best I can do!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200707-175812.png
    Screenshot_20200707-175812.png
    308.8 KB · Views: 431
Last edited:
Has anyone tried the new Kappalite coaxials yet? Im really considering the 12" with a PSD2013S for my next project with active DSP for studio use in a 75l cabinet instead of a 3-way passive design with Beta 8CX and a random 15". Would love some measurements on the new 12" and some experience before I invest in such expensive stuff.

Seems the Vortex kits is gone?

I spoke with Erich, and he is waiting on parts for the Vortex kits to go back up. They may not do more production runs after the stock on hand is gone, due to cost and lack of sales. When they get put back up, I would jump on them. He and Matt rave about them for a music listening setup. I want to build the Vortex 15, in a Tannoy style full range enclosure. Glenn.

Hmm interesting about the Vortex.
I guess most DIY PA folks design their own stuff and skip the middle, DIY kits generally and based of PA drivers specifically must be a narrow market i would imagine.

I was thinking about the same 15” tannoy style with these neos but the 15” have a ugly peak that may require lower xo and some special band stop but then again what CD is really fitted in this horn is unknown.
That’s why the 12 looked easy to make smooth no serious peaks but i would prefer to see some real life system measurements with a CD and xo even if I’m going DSP it’s good to have passive options as well.
Think I’ll wait this one out for some more experienced people to show some builds and how these compare to to latest B&C, Beyma 12s and of course what improved could I gain compared to my existing Beta 12cx/PSD2002 combo.

I live in Norway by the way, not member of EU so DIY is generally not so easy here, selection low, price high for the most part.
Lots of toll tax and shipping cost buying outside but there is a few locals dealing ok prices on Eminence.
I did buy stuff from parts express and thomann before but price addon is easily 30%.
For some reason Fane are priced nice here.