Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Frequency Response Match for Older Ears
Frequency Response Match for Older Ears
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th June 2020, 11:19 PM   #131
diyiggy is offline diyiggy
diyAudio Member

I made an experiment in my damped listening room with towers that have off set mid-treble drivers on the bafle. when the drivers are inside when the listener faces them : stereo is less wide. Maybe because there are less reflexions or the reflexions of side walls are delayed because of the bafle off set.

When the towers are swapped left & right for the mid-treble being outside towards the side walls : I noticed a bigger soundstage... but the center summing is floating, the voice that is often in the center in front of the listener is less precise... Audio is a nightmare sometimes or at least full of choose your poison decisions, alas...

Old 30th June 2020, 11:29 PM   #132
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

There seem to be quite a few studies, here's another one Optimizing Sound Localization with Hearing Aids
Old 1st July 2020, 06:14 AM   #133
phase_accurate is offline phase_accurate
diyAudio Member

Quote:
When the towers are swapped left & right for the mid-treble being outside towards the side walls : I noticed a bigger soundstage... but the center summing is floating, the voice that is often in the center in front of the listener is less precise... Audio is a nightmare sometimes or at least full of choose your poison decisions, alas...

I perceive it that way as well with speakers of that kind. And I am also the "tweeters inside" type. I guess it is not only sidewall reflections that makle a difference but you also chneg the size of the listening triangle between narrow and wide - at least at higher frequencies.

Depending on the recording (and also my mood at the very moment) I sometimes move closer to my speakers and sometimes farther away.

Regards

Charles
Old 1st July 2020, 08:48 AM   #134
oldspkrguy is offline oldspkrguy  United States
diyAudio Member

I have my mids and tweeters all apart from the woofer "box". This reduces diffraction certainly but also allows adjusting the listening angle individually. In my smaller room; the woofer boxes only have one location that works best; I can move them in and out a little from the side walls and corner but no more than a few inches. I have a super tweeter; some say the narrow angle and small sweet spot bother them; doesn't bother me one bit. I would characterize my high frequency hearing loss starting around 8 KHz is most like a 3rd order low pass; pretty steep!
Old 1st July 2020, 09:01 AM   #135
diyAudio Member

Often there is a dip caused by Noise-induced hearing loss - Wikipedia usually at about 4k, I have one at 6k, which is around the frequency of my tinnitus. Of course it's quite possible that the tinnitus was masking the test tone, hearing tests aren't very good......in one of the tests I linked to they used eye movement as an indication of direction perception, most people I know don't have eyes in the back of their heads

Last edited by scottjoplin; 1st July 2020 at 09:12 AM.
Old 1st July 2020, 09:09 AM   #136
diyAudio Member

I also have tinnitus but it is not severe; I would guess the main frequency to be above 10 KHz though for me. Remember the old TV sets that you could hear the horizontal oscillator at about 15,750 Hz? Especially when the horizontal hold went off; this is what my tinnitus reminds me of.
Old 1st July 2020, 09:14 AM   #137
diyAudio Member

I've found it quite difficult to pinpoint the frequency accurately
Old 1st July 2020, 09:16 AM   #138
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
I've found it quite difficult to pinpoint the frequency accurately
Same here; just a guess really; mine is certainly above 8 KHz though
Old 1st July 2020, 10:41 AM   #139
phase_accurate is offline phase_accurate
diyAudio Member

Mine is around 8 kHz and very faint and only in the left ear. I only hear it when it is very calm. But I suffer from distortion when I enconter shrill sounds. I will try to find out the exact frequency and notch the range out on the DSP. Maybe this improves the distortion behaviour as well. The uppermost frequency that I can hear is something above 12 kHz - even on that left ear.

Regards

Charles
Old 1st July 2020, 11:54 AM   #140
puppet is offline puppet  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldspkrguy View Post
I also have tinnitus but it is not severe; I would guess the main frequency to be above 10 KHz though for me. Remember the old TV sets that you could hear the horizontal oscillator at about 15,750 Hz? Especially when the horizontal hold went off; this is what my tinnitus reminds me of.
Man ... I'd forgotten about that bit of tech till just now. How far we've come 'eh?

Frequency Response Match for Older EarsHide this!Advertise here!