Looking to restore pair of AR3s

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Hi all. Looking for recommendations on who can restore a pair of AR3 speakers. I live in Tucson AZ and I'm not really a DIYer, but thought I could get some useful advice. Tweeters, mid-range and woofers all work, and in spite of their age the foam on the woofers have no visible cracks and still seem pliable (one woofer was replaced about 25 years ago). Some pitches seem to jump out almost as if they were triggering a sympathetic vibration somewhere, especially in the octave just below middle c. I'm sure the speakers are far out of spec after all these years because the sound is muddy and in general not what it used to be.

RVILS

Any news or updates? I would be very surprised if the foam surrounds are not dry rotted. They may not LOOK like it; have you touched them lightly with your fingers? I am curious as to how this all turns out; especially if you get a hold of the TRUE AR experts. My current project is using the SB29NRX75-6. It wouldn't match your woofer hole and doesn't have the same specs but it could "probably" be made to work (or something similar by SB). I mention this because in my 1.2 ft^3 (33 liter) closed box; I am getting an f3 at 37 Hz. So, SB does have a good reputation for well made drivers and this one certainly is very well made. I had doubts about it at first until it got broken in really well. My main point is that it gives honest, deep bass with no EQ or bass boost in a small, closed box. Exactly one very strong point of the AR3 and AR3a!

Keep us up to date and best of luck!

Any news or updates? I would be very surprised if the foam surrounds are not dry rotted. They may not LOOK like it; have you touched them lightly with your fingers? I am curious as to how this all turns out; especially if you get a hold of the TRUE AR experts. My current project is using the SB29NRX75-6. It wouldn't match your woofer hole and doesn't have the same specs but it could "probably" be made to work (or something similar by SB). I mention this because in my 1.2 ft^3 (33 liter) closed box; I am getting an f3 at 37 Hz. So, SB does have a good reputation for well made drivers and this one certainly is very well made. I had doubts about it at first until it got broken in really well. My main point is that it gives honest, deep bass with no EQ or bass boost in a small, closed box. Exactly one very strong point of the AR3 and AR3a!

Keep us up to date and best of luck!

Thank you. I did touch the foam surrounds and surprisingly, in spite of their age they're still pliable. But they still may not be up to snuff because that, as you say, "honest, deep bass" that I've always loved is no longer there. There is a local guy here in Tucson (Stereo Hospital), but I want to check him out first. Right now he's got my Dynaco tuner (bad pot and oxidized RCA outputs), so I'll see how he does with that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.