Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

X-Statik is this a good buy @ 9. Pair kit ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th April 2020, 06:29 AM   #1
ThermalAlchemy is offline ThermalAlchemy  United States
diyAudio Member

Default X-Statik is this a good buy @ $399. Pair kit ?

I seen this today on YouTube advertised by GR research

YouTube

It will be my first open baffle build Iíve been curious about one and for the price as a starter kit it seem too good to pass up. My last speaker I built was the BK 20 Fostek package kit I built for my ACA. That was kind of complex folded horn speaker to build took about 100 hours from start to finish.

The X-Statik looks like a simple easy inexpensive build minimum woodworking skill easy finishing. I keep having to put off my alpha J build but I was thinking of using the speakers with the Alpha J.

I used the search tool bar to see if I could find a thread on ď X-Statik ď nothing turned up. Does this mean I use the wrong search term ? Or the speaker wasnít good enough to make it on DIY Audio Forms ?.

Anybody with experience please chime in and tell me what Iím in for when I complete this project will it be a keeper or give away as a gift ?.
Old 17th April 2020, 08:17 PM   #2
Andersonix is offline Andersonix  Sweden
diyAudio Member

X-Statik Kit
GR posts over on another forum mostly.
GR Research

Do you know if you will like the tweeter they used?

Aleph J?
Old 17th April 2020, 08:28 PM   #3
classicalfan is offline classicalfan  United States
diyAudio Member

I've been considering the X-Statik as well. It has received very good reviews and I think it would be an enjoyable speaker to have.

However, please note that it is a hybrid and not a full open baffle speaker.. The top MTM is OB, but the lower section with the dual woofers is a sealed enclosure.
Old 17th April 2020, 09:21 PM   #4
bullittstang is offline bullittstang  United States
diyAudio Member

Here you can see Danny's personal review of the kit. I've heard the woofer and tweeter in the XL-S Encore kit - very impressive. I would assume this would have been taken to a whole new level and the two sealed woofers in the bottom, should provide ample bass reinforcement.

YouTube
Old 17th April 2020, 09:26 PM   #5
VeightTripleDivision is offline VeightTripleDivision  Latvia
diyAudio Member

If shipping wouldnt be 255 greens, I would take it. Crossover pair all alone seems to be quite pricey to build from indovidual components.
Old 17th April 2020, 09:40 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

@ Andersonix I have no idea about the Twitter reading reviews apparently it is not overly bright. As for the Alpha J it will be my first Alpha J build I do not know if it’s a good pairing but it gives me something to play with since it’ll be my second floor sanding speaker I have built from a kit. I assume if I ended up not liking the tweeter I could always ask Danny at GR research what a alternative Twitter would be if I was looking for a certain sound to change in any direction.

@ classicalfans. Yes I am aware it’s a hybrid OB. Only the mid range in tweeter my room is not large 12‘ x 18‘ so I should be able to take them 3 feet off the back wall. Some reviews saying a smallish room subs may not be necessary but if they are I’ll just build a kit maybe Danny’s servos 12 inch. It’s all about the experimentation and discovering new things.

Looking at just the components on the crossovers excluding the drivers would not even be able to purchase the discrete components on the crossovers for $399. Wood working I have no problem with. Applying any kind of finish from hand rubbed French finish, Lacquer, catalyzed clears or solid colors I used to be a painter in automotive.
Old 17th April 2020, 11:58 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andersonix View Post
X-Statik Kit
GR posts over on another forum mostly.
GR Research

Do you know if you will like the tweeter they used?

Aleph J?
Thanks for the direct link a ton of information over there just what I was looking for
Old 1st May 2020, 09:28 PM   #8
Andersonix is offline Andersonix  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I've poked around a bit, and those drivers look smooth and capable despite being 'Peerless of India,' and I think it's almost a no-brainer at $400! Do it!
Old 1st May 2020, 09:52 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default I did it they are coming but they got lost by UPS still searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andersonix View Post
I've poked around a bit, and those drivers look smooth and capable despite being 'Peerless of India,' and I think it's almost a no-brainer at $400! Do it!
I did it they are coming but they got lost by UPS still searching

I think I regret not buying the center channel the X-voice I may purchase that after building the two Towers and if I really like them and get them to perform in my room. Then I will order the center channel.

Just like building amplifiers and preamp it gets addictive and you canít stop the same thing goes with speakers especially when you have woodworking skills all the tools and all your paint spray equipment with experience.

Already thinking of what walls I can tear out. Plans on removing the ceiling and several walls to have a room large enough for the large obis 6 1/2 feet tall with the three OB design subwoofers.
Old 1st May 2020, 10:09 PM   #10
ga77a is offline ga77a  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

if you do build these, please report back your feelings/opinion as i am also interested in this (hybrid)design.
good luck

gaz

X-Statik is this a good buy @ 9. Pair kit ?Hide this!Advertise here!