Help, small 3 way speaker with crossover Rock/Metal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!

Really sorry for long post, i tried to keep it short and detailed. Hope some kind person can help me out, i tried to search clips on youtube and various threads here but i just can't seem to you know.. Decide

I need some help with choosing speakers for my little room. And when i say little its really small, dimensions: 1,75x2,75x2,30 ^^

I want to make a cheap system around 50-150USD if possible.
I have amp (citronic plx 3600) and 5band mixer collecting dust. However i dont think i want to use PA speakers on this but unless you feel like i should then go ahead and please tell me why :D

I listen to everythyng, but mostly powerfull rock or metall
So aiming on a system that will play rock, heavy metal. and if possible id like to feel the punch in my body but maybe that is hard to achieve with this price tag. If that is the case then please let me know and i will go higher

Biggest outer dimension is 30cm in width, speakers will be placed on a table 1 meter away, I feel like there is room for a 10" bass driver

I have built a ported subwoofer box before which actually turned out really good. so im atleast not completely new to the building part. I've dabbled with my car audio for 10 years but never really dived into this hi-fi world like i intend to do now gradually.

This is my first system so i just want to try it out and take it from there

But like i said in the beginning, i need help choosing a crossover and a set of speakers that work well for the specifications above
Is there kits that can be found or can you point me in the right direction maybe?

If you have questions just fire away and i will get back to you asap!

oh right, I have a pair of 3 way pioneer speakers right now but for some reason they sound terrible, they are from my deceased grandpa so im betting they were really cheap and also probably from the 80's or 90's. (Not saying that old speakers are bad in any way) but these probably are/were..
I have tested them in different amp situations and they litterally just produce sound.. no real flavour to any frequency

Its really a shame that there is no tag on them or product id but not that it really matters for my project tho but the goal is to beat these in sound quality

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Where are you located - as it changes the drivers that are cheaply available.

In the US, I think you might try a kit from Parts Express like the C-note for $100 and add a subwoofer (which you might have already). It’s only a 2 way, but you probably don’t need a 3 way in such a small room and you have a sub already. Get a $50 Class D 2.1 amp with subwoofer output and you are all set.

C-Note MT Bookshelf Speaker Kit Pair with Knock-Down Cabinets

TPS3116D2 Class D 2.1 Bluetooth 5.0 Amplifier Board 2 x 50W + 100W with Filter and Volume Controls

Metal has a lot of upper harmonics & usually requires a good 3 way to sound clear - something like this: (probably bigger & more expensive than you're looking for) SBAcoustics-3WC. The good news is that nowdays the drums & bass are usually recorded well, so you don't need a big woofer, unless 'id like to feel the punch in my body'....

'3 way pioneer speakers ... they sound terrible' in what way specifically? - perhaps the crossover in these could be improved

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
A friend of mine, who was moving, has dumped some audio stuff at my place. Between a lot of junk, there was one gem. Small sony speakers sscs5. They really surprised me. Clean detailed sound. Even decent bass for such a small bookshelf. Add a sub and you got yourself a decent system.
I was so intrigued by these little speakers so i measured their on axis and of axis response. Impecable.
Google 'sscs5' and you will find some reviews.

Hey thanks for taking the time guys! i really appreciate it!

@ XRK971; I live in Sweden, i kinda feel like making a 3way system tho since i only have a 2channel amp and i want to drive everything from that. I have checked out that webpage seems really nice got alot of things there for sure! wondering about shipping costs tho like you said, it matters where i live.

@PeteMck ;oh yeah that kit seems interesting for sure, but looks like its a bit too expensive for me right now, atleast with this being my first build.
About the Pioneer, I mean its factory made i think maybe they should have made a decent crossover design to begin with but the listening experience i feel when i turn them up is really that the elements dont really seem to produce alot of sound. Like i said i want some speakers that i can feel atleast a little thumping. but theres just a dull sound and when i increase it too much the bass would just start to pop so i think they could be just cheap? Ill definetly link them so we can find out in a reply soon after I adress everyone :)

@Moondog; Coming soon :)

@Puppet; Oh nice link, it looks to me like they are from the 70s but im not sure i cant seem to find the exact ones, ill keep looking and also post the pictures in a couple of mins, maybe you can find them faster xD

Tbh i hooked them up again and had another go at the sound, and they honestly do play really loud and there is even a little power to them
I dont think i gave them a fair shot last time i tested them
But having listened to my car sound from my 8" mids i know you can get alot more of small speakers than what theese are producing

Dont laugh now guys but ill be honest about my initial plans
My first idéa was actually to buy some kind of High SPL high db sens kit from the Car audio realm and make something on my own but thats where my knowledge started to restrain me unfortunately on building the crossover for the whole set and also how the ohm would be affected hooking up maybe 2 mids 1 tweeter kit and 1 bass woofer (not subwoofer) (8"mid driver, 10"bass driver, ?"tweeter just something that goes with the mids well)

Last edited:
Dont laugh now guys but ill be honest about my initial plans
My first idéa was actually to buy some kind of High SPL high db sens kit from the Car audio realm and make something on my own but thats where my knowledge started to restrain me unfortunately on building the crossover for the whole set and also how the ohm would be affected hooking up maybe 2 mids 1 tweeter kit and 1 bass woofer (not subwoofer) (8"mid driver, 10"bass driver, ?"tweeter just something that goes with the mids well)

Forget it.
Car audio speakers are designed to win high SPL competitions (absolutely unrelted to Hi Fi or "sounding good"), usually at a single frequency, and driven by kilowatts.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
First thing is to please use this forums photo uploader and not something off site as pix get lost all the time. Secondly I'd be interested in you pulling that old speaker apart and showing us the inside of the box and the XO.
Having played with a lot of similar boxes myself there may be some easy tweaks. Also it may be as simple as a failed glue joint and air leakage.
Those boxes usually ran the woofer full range with a single cap on each of the tweeters; which are normally sealed back.

@Moondog@ Oh Sorry, i didnt know the right method ill try to do it right next time. But okay! I will unscrew the woofer and get you some pics after i get home from work!

Fatmarley Another great looking piece for sure! the only concern with these systems are that they are really big for placement on the table.
I mean i COULD place them in the back and have them play from behind and standing on the floor on the other side of the room.. but im not sure how that would "Feel" not hearing the sound from the front.. what do you think? Cause i can litterally make a huge speaker in the rear side of the room but im facing the other way you know.. Please let me know if that would be awqward

Fatmarley Another great looking piece for sure! the only concern with these systems are that they are really big for placement on the table.
I mean i COULD place them in the back and have them play from behind and standing on the floor on the other side of the room.. but im not sure how that would "Feel" not hearing the sound from the front.. what do you think? Cause i can litterally make a huge speaker in the rear side of the room but im facing the other way you know.. Please let me know if that would be awqward

I'm not sure what you mean. Could you upload a photo or drawing of your speaker position options?

I think i figured it out with the pictures now :)

Beware we just moved in here and havent really figured out the layout of this room just yet. they used this room for coats and jackets so i only just fixed it up with my computer desk

SO i attached pictures of the table.. as you can see i dont have alot to work with, and my question was what you think of placing the speakers in the back instead. but i think that would sound wierd with the sound coming from the back i guess..

But size wise like i said in the beginning of the thread, i got 30cm to work with wich means a 10" would fit but depending on the L requirement of the driver the enclosure will get too high

IMG_0538.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0541.jpg

This driver feels really thin and weak in both construction and magnet so im thinking that this is a pretty cheap model
So i dont know if there's alot to do with the speakers guys

Other than replacing all the drivers and the crossover with something else that would fit well in this enclosure size (liter)

IMG_0543.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.