Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Scaling port response to speaker nearfield
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th March 2020, 06:28 PM   #1
mecedo is offline mecedo
diyAudio Member

Default Scaling port response to speaker nearfield

If I have flared port like on the attached picture and need to scale his response to speaker nearfield which dimension should I use in scaling formula? E or D?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Port.jpg (32.0 KB, 149 views)
Old 24th March 2020, 08:18 PM   #2
PeteMcK is offline PeteMcK
diyAudio Member

use D, the important thing is the volume of air in the port, and D, being the average diameter, should give the closest result to calculating that.
Old 24th March 2020, 09:31 PM   #3
mecedo is offline mecedo
diyAudio Member

Thanks. It seems to be logical��
Old 25th March 2020, 02:34 PM   #4
mecedo is offline mecedo
diyAudio Member

An what I found interesting about mic position:

"Mic in the center of vent at baffle surface if vent is not rounded. If vent has rounding, penetrate few millimetres inside, where tube with constant diameter begins. Not too deep."
Old 25th March 2020, 03:49 PM   #5
celef is offline celef
diyAudio Member

no need to calc, just align the low end responses for port to woofer

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 25th March 2020, 07:30 PM   #6
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

I have to say, I've never had very good luck with the formulas. It could very well be my own lack of experience, and the like, so I end up using far-field to validate my calculations.
Old 26th March 2020, 08:51 AM   #7
mecedo is offline mecedo
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celef View Post
no need to calc, just align the low end responses for port to woofer
It's not so simply. What in this situation?
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...1&d=1585212152
There are three options:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...1&d=1585212628

Which is correct?
Attached Images
File Type: png Unscaled.png (12.3 KB, 93 views)
File Type: png 1.png (28.3 KB, 85 views)
File Type: png 2.png (9.8 KB, 86 views)
File Type: png 3.png (9.7 KB, 22 views)
Old 26th March 2020, 09:01 AM   #8
silverprout is offline silverprout  France
diyAudio Member

The air turbulence noises should be audible in the nerfield, you should look a more adapted one, like those that JBL have putted in the K2 S9800.
Old 26th March 2020, 09:10 AM   #9
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecedo View Post
If I have flared port like on the attached picture and need to scale his response to speaker nearfield which dimension should I use in scaling formula? E or D?
I guess your goal is to scale the sound output (SPL) from the port in order to merge it with the woofer output, correct? If so, the scaling depends on the sound emitting surfaces. For the woofer, this is the effective cone (piston) area, Sd. For the port, it's the effective cross-sectional area at the end of the port. With your flared port I'd say you should use E or C, which is the "effective diameter" at the end of the port (not D, which is the diameter somewhere along the inside of the port). But then again it's not so clear what the effective diameter at the end of a flared port really is.

As an alternative, I'd recommend the "microphone in box" technique to determine the bass response of a bass-reflex system. This technique provides a direct measurement of the total (summed) output of the woofer and the port, so there is no need to measure the woofer and port separately and then merge the two.

The Microphone-in-Box technique is described here (you need to scroll down a bit): Measuring Loudspeaker Low-Frequency Response | audioXpress

The original publication with more details (and absolute SPL scaling) is: R H Small. Simplified loudspeaker measurements at low frequencies. Journal of Audio Engineering Society (JAES), 20:28–33, 1972

Last edited by mbrennwa; 26th March 2020 at 09:13 AM.
Old 26th March 2020, 09:16 AM   #10
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksquires View Post
I have to say, I've never had very good luck with the formulas. It could very well be my own lack of experience, and the like, so I end up using far-field to validate my calculations.
Low-frequency measurements in the far field require an anechoic room or a very large tower to move the speaker and the microphone away from any walls or other reflective surfaces. Not easy.

Scaling port response to speaker nearfieldHide this!Advertise here!