Troels Gravesen high efficiency 3-way looks like a winner.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I imagine the horn mid/tweeter compresion driver config on Klipsch must make a contrast in comparison with soft dome tweeter/paper cone midrange.

Yes the tweeter was always my main concern with this design.My experience with high sensitivity mids and woofers is that standard sort of dome tweeters do not match the rest and generally sound like they are lacking in energy.Bullet or slot type tweeters seem to work best.

My gut feeling is that it's not so much a question of "tweeter type", but rather a question of dispersion / polar SPL response.

The perceived sound balance is mostly determined by the amount of sound energy radiated into the listening room at a given frequency.

However, many designers are trying to optimize the anechoic on-axis SPL response curve such that it is as smooth and flat as possible, and people often think that this indicates "balanced sound". This is NOT the case, as the "anechoic" and "on-axis" concepts do not relate to the (echoic) sound radiation in(to) a room.

To measure the "sound balance" of a loudspeaker, you need to measure the polar SPL response ("off axis response") and calculate the sum of the radiated sound energy as a function of frequency from these measurements (aka as "power response"). This is not just a simple and quick measurement, so you don't see it very often.

However, the power response does explain (to some extent) why "hifi" dome tweeters produce a very different perceived sound than a horn tweeter, even if the anechoic on-axis SPL response would be identical. The dispersion (polar response) of "hifi" domes and horn tweeters are very differnt, so the power response is very different. Getting the "same" (or at least similar) sound from "hifi" domes and horn tweeters may require different (and possibly "ugly") anoechoic on-axis SPL curves, and it might be difficult to sell such a design...

Hi everyone.

Some news from France...

So as said I tried the Faital with my ACA amp (6W class A) and 200w class AB Maya amp waiting the Yamaha P7000S (for a friend) and finish the f5 (...it will take time...)

I can say already that tweeter level in this design is not a problem as I thought. It seems to be more an matter of association with my naska 125 amp.

So the design in my room works well with both of that amps.

Of course 6w with low voltage out from my arm DP777 dac it is not enough. I will try with the 6v of the solaris dac asap I take it back home from my friend.
I've order too an rme adi2 dac so I ll make also the comparison.

ACA lacks energy and power but I really loved the sound. Nothing more to say. it was good but no power enough.

With the 200w Maya we have of course a much better control and energy in the bass and volume can be up to very high volume without any distortion.

With that amps I can say/

Faital offers coherence, smoothness, power handing, nice everything (from bass to treble) and all you can expect from PA drivers.
it is a very nice all rounder speaker wich does everything well without excess of personality. a very good all rounder that can complet a good hifi system and do the job at the party.

But I must say that nothing is really exceptional. Very good and well implemented regarding to the price (the medium is 90 e when a audio tech 15h52 is around 300 euros...) and comparing of market brand speakers I get before, I really prefer the Faital and it is much cheaper (pro ac D15 or d28 — 5000 euros speakers)

But I have had some other speakers with offer more details or meat on the low mediums as audio technology for the medium (15 and 18H) but it is not the same price as I said.

I have used in other speakers other tweeters which got more extension or realism as a fountech Neo cd3 or yquphon ow1 with are the same price or much cheaper for the fountech. But I know each person got it's own taste and my best friend love the Ekta grande with the scan speak revelatory tweeter I hate....and it is very expensive.

So MAYBE (I say maybe) regarding to the choice of drivers and the global prestation, the choice of the scanspeak and the cheaper crossover should be a better way. And...
Upgrading is always possible.
So make your own choice!

I did choose the BE :

because of the protection to save the tweeter of fingers of my curious 15 months daughter.
because I still have many other projects and I did want to have the "best"of this conception asap speaker was finished and not have to wonder if should be better with other xover or driver.
It looks good.
I tried already the SS one.
I wanted to try a BE tweeter
I can afford it.

And I don't regret it at all ;)
cheers

I hope it can help.

Hi again all. I am trying for few day the rme adi2 dac.
This dac is fantastic ! With the faital and the maya everithing is realist. I love the dac and the faital with that configuration doesn't present any default.
As i said it could present a bit more detail but at what price and tweeter could be a different taste.
But i must admit now that when you feed it well with the right material this speaker is reallygood.
And as said troels : it can really rock !

Last edited:
If you read my two last post i said that there is no problem with the tweeter volume and the design of the faital. My first thought that tweeter level was missing was the fault of a wrong dac and amp association.
Concerning the personnality of the tweeter just a matter of taste but be sound good i think.

Hi everyone.

Some news from France...

So as said I tried the Faital with my ACA amp (6W class A) and 200w class AB Maya amp waiting the Yamaha P7000S (for a friend) and finish the f5 (...it will take time...)

I can say already that tweeter level in this design is not a problem as I thought. It seems to be more an matter of association with my naska 125 amp.

So the design in my room works well with both of that amps.

Of course 6w with low voltage out from my arm DP777 dac it is not enough. I will try with the 6v of the solaris dac asap I take it back home from my friend.
I've order too an rme adi2 dac so I ll make also the comparison.

ACA lacks energy and power but I really loved the sound. Nothing more to say. it was good but no power enough.

With the 200w Maya we have of course a much better control and energy in the bass and volume can be up to very high volume without any distortion.

With that amps I can say/

Faital offers coherence, smoothness, power handing, nice everything (from bass to treble) and all you can expect from PA drivers.
it is a very nice all rounder speaker wich does everything well without excess of personality. a very good all rounder that can complet a good hifi system and do the job at the party.

But I must say that nothing is really exceptional. Very good and well implemented regarding to the price (the medium is 90 e when a audio tech 15h52 is around 300 euros...) and comparing of market brand speakers I get before, I really prefer the Faital and it is much cheaper (pro ac D15 or d28 — 5000 euros speakers)

But I have had some other speakers with offer more details or meat on the low mediums as audio technology for the medium (15 and 18H) but it is not the same price as I said.

I have used in other speakers other tweeters which got more extension or realism as a fountech Neo cd3 or yquphon ow1 with are the same price or much cheaper for the fountech. But I know each person got it's own taste and my best friend love the Ekta grande with the scan speak revelatory tweeter I hate....and it is very expensive.

So MAYBE (I say maybe) regarding to the choice of drivers and the global prestation, the choice of the scanspeak and the cheaper crossover should be a better way. And...
Upgrading is always possible.
So make your own choice!

I did choose the BE :

because of the protection to save the tweeter of fingers of my curious 15 months daughter.
because I still have many other projects and I did want to have the "best"of this conception asap speaker was finished and not have to wonder if should be better with other xover or driver.
It looks good.
I tried already the SS one.
I wanted to try a BE tweeter
I can afford it.

And I don't regret it at all ;)
cheers

I hope it can help.
Hi Olivier, thanks for your detailed feedback. And for the update with the RME dac. The only thing I'm modifying will be the internal damping.

I'll keep you updated.

Hello from France !

I am looking for my next project. I am currently hesitating between two speakers from troels: faital and fusion. The main differences seem to be drivers and sensibility. My mono-amps give 200W@8ohm each so sensibility may not be a trouble. Have you got an advice and/or opinion on how these speakers will differ ? This is my first expensive project so it is hard to pull the trigger.
Thx !

Hello from France !

I am looking for my next project. I am currently hesitating between two speakers from troels: faital and fusion. The main differences seem to be drivers and sensibility. My mono-amps give 200W@8ohm each so sensibility may not be a trouble. Have you got an advice and/or opinion on how these speakers will differ ? This is my first expensive project so it is hard to pull the trigger.
Thx !

Since you have powerful amplifiers, you do not require speakers with high sensitivity. Troels designed the Faital 3WC for high sensitivity (sort of) to work well with weaker amps. This means he had to make some compromises regarding the bass extension.

The Fusion design has lower sensitivity, but deeper bass. Also, in my opinion the Fusion uses better midrange and tweeter drivers.

Since you have powerful amplifiers, you do not require speakers with high sensitivity. Troels designed the Faital 3WC for high sensitivity (sort of) to work well with weaker amps. This means he had to make some compromises regarding the bass extension.

The Fusion design has lower sensitivity, but deeper bass. Also, in my opinion the Fusion uses better midrange and tweeter drivers.

I do agree. But big drivers give speediness and physic bass small ones can't.
A matter of taste.

I've come to the conclusion that you build the largest size speakers you think you will be happy to accommodate. For most of us, space is the hard limitation, everything else is negotiable. Once you have the largest size figured out it's usually a case of budget and aesthetics as to which to build. Speakers tend to stay around longer than amplifiers, unless your name is Dave Duglos!

Thanks for your answers which confirm my preliminary thought.
I am still not determined but troels 3 ways (fusion, faital and 3WC) seem well designed so i am going to dig dipper into drivers spec and performances. Then its gonna be a compromise between aesthetic, room and price I guess.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.