Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Choosing the right 5" midrange
Choosing the right 5" midrange
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th September 2019, 08:31 PM   #71
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zvu View Post
And not to be totally off topic, i'd suggest a midrange for you. Wavecor WF146WA01 or 02 - the difference is only in impedance, not performance in any other way.

WF146WA01_02

Other, in my opinion better, option would be ZA14W08 but, as name suggests, it is available only in an 8 ohm version and it is about 86dB at 2.83V/1m. If it would work in your design, i'd take that. If higher sensitivity is needed, then 4 ohm version of mentioned Wavecor will do just fine.

Zaph Audio ZA14W08 | HiFiCompass

That one would be a LOT easier to work with than Zaphs (or even the 5" SB's).

The only thing that's a "red flag" to me is the Mms, which for a midrange is one of my primary selections: I want that as low as possible.

I'd still select the MSH-116/4 at a reasonable price given what the OP is asking for.

IF I was going to spend more money, I'd look to the midbass drivers which will be under a lot more "stress" moving from a pair of SB Acoustics SB20PFC30-8 to a pair of SB Acoustics SB23NBACS45-8.

IF I was spending even more money then I'd shift to the mid. with a Satori MR13P-4 (..despite the modest hit in Mms and a little more work with the crossover).

-I'd really like to see this one that's in-development independently measured:

SB Acoustics :: 4" SB12MNRX2-25-4

Last edited by ScottG; 12th September 2019 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12th September 2019, 08:43 PM   #72
diyAudio Member

Quote:

The difference is too big. If measurements at Dibirama are off by 5 or 6% at 40Hz, then it doesn't look that bad - if we calculate that in.

It's CLIO THD.. I don't think it's that far off.

I do think that CLIO is a bit higher than reality though, just as I think Soundeasy (from a several generations ago) is bit lower than reality.

I'll take HiFiCompass's measurements any day over Dibirama - not THD, not Clio, while having also having varying level and segmented near-field and far-field results.

Last edited by ScottG; 12th September 2019 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12th September 2019, 08:48 PM   #73
Zvu is offline Zvu  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
That one would be a LOT easier to work with than Zaphs (or even the 5" SB's).

The only thing that's a "red flag" to me is the Mms, which for a midrange is one of my primary selections: I want that as low as possible.

I'd still select the MSH-116/4 at a reasonable price given what the OP is asking for.

IF I was going to spend more money, I'd look to the midbass drivers which will be under a lot more "stress" moving from a pair of SB Acoustics SB20PFC30-8 to a pair of SB Acoustics SB23NBACS45-8.

IF I was spending even more money then I'd shift to the mid. with a Satori MR13P-4 (..despite the modest hit in Mms and a little more work with the crossover).

-I'd really like to see this one that's in-development independently measured:

SB Acoustics :: 4" SB12MNRX2-25-4
I don't really know what is hard to work with. I worked with Seas L15 and it is much worse than ZA14W08. It was not hard for me in any way.

WF146WA01 has Sd=95cm2 while MSH116/4 has Sd=55cm2

Scan Speak 15W/8530 has Mms=13gr for the same Sd as Wavecor mentioned and i never heard anyone complaining on mids - so although i tend to agree that lesser Mms driver would perform better, i don't think that it will be an issue here and for this amount of money.

If we were discussing 4" midranges then i'd say, without a doubt, Tang Band W4-1337SDF. That little fellow has it all aaand it looks good

Last edited by Zvu; 12th September 2019 at 08:52 PM.
Old 12th September 2019, 08:54 PM   #74
diyAudio Member

-remember, we are discussing a mid for a "newb".

Not only that, a "newb" that specified a PAPER midrange. (..and one that's fairly efficient, and can deliver low distortion at higher output within its intended passband.)
Old 12th September 2019, 09:01 PM   #75
diyAudio Member

Hence the Wavecor suggestion... As for low distortion at high driving levels: that amount of money with desired configuration will only take you that far.

EDIT: This Scan is also a monster but i didn't mention it because i wouldn't let it work over 2kHz:

ScanSpeak 15M/4624G00 | HiFiCompass

Last edited by Zvu; 12th September 2019 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12th September 2019, 09:05 PM   #76
diyAudio Member

Quote:

If we were discussing 4" midranges then i'd say, without a doubt, Tang Band W4-1337SDF. That little fellow has it all aaand it looks good
Nice, but considerably less efficient (even given the change in impedance) and 8 ohms nominal.

TB SPEAKERS W4-1337SDF (Full-range 4", 8 Ohm, 50 Wmax)

vs.

MONACOR MSH-116/4 (Mid-range 4", 4 Ohm, 120 Wmax)
Old 12th September 2019, 09:07 PM   #77
diyAudio Member

Quote:
..As for low distortion at high driving levels: that amount of money with desired configuration will only take you that far.

Yeah, I think I mentioned something like that, but I'm not sure it "got through" to the OP.
Old 12th September 2019, 09:11 PM   #78
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Nice, but considerably less efficient (even given the change in impedance) and 8 ohms nominal.

We don't know what woofers will be used, so higher efficiency might only mean more attenuation for Monacor mid. Other than that, i'm not too fond of that resonance near 1.6kHz.
Old 12th September 2019, 09:33 PM   #79
diyAudio Member

-the limitations of paper..
Old 13th September 2019, 06:52 AM   #80
diyAudio Member

..Potential modification of Monacor driver.

Troels latest:

He has it done to the W12CY003 as seen below (shiny area of surround); Red = before treatment, Green = after treatment.

CNO-GRANDE

-use this stuff to apply thin coats (dried before re-applying) to apex of surround as if striping a piece of pottery w/ small fine paint brush (by rotating the driver while applying it). The glue should likely extend down about as far as the height of the surround from cone to apex. Similar look to the W12CY003 treatment.

Aleene’s Original Glues - Aleenes Flexible Stretchable Fabric Glue
Attached Images
File Type: jpg W12CY003_3_600.jpg (72.7 KB, 141 views)
File Type: png W12CY003_EC.png (115.8 KB, 140 views)

Last edited by ScottG; 13th September 2019 at 07:00 AM.

Choosing the right 5" midrangeHide this!Advertise here!