Selecting a high quality 6 inch midrange unit for my full range project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Faital Pro 6fe200..

Not because it isn't a very good driver, but because it's not suitable for a crossover at 2.7 kHz: there is too much pressure loss off-axis.

In fact this is a problem for a LOT of 6" drivers. I'd look to a smaller diameter driver for something as high as 2.7 kHz low-pass.

Ex. (that should still do 250 Hz reasonably well):

FSL-0512R01-08 - Tymphany

can still be purchased in low quantity from here:

Fullrange speaker Peerless FSL-0512R01-08, 8 ohm, 5.9 inch

Last edited:
@OP: how can one decide on the Xover before having data for a given combo of drivers on the chosen baffle? this is like putting the cart ahead of the horses.

I even had Xovers modeled sometimes based on measured! driver performance as mounted on the baffle and still had to change the Xover as it did not sound optimal. Sometimes two Xovers can look equally good in software and still one will be a clear winner over the other in listening tests. That is why it takes an iterative process to arrive at something that meets the design goals, which should not be a preconceived Xover but certain performance over a target BW at on axis and off axis, and finally a subjective impression with certain recordings as a cherry to top the cake.

@OP: how can one decide on the Xover before having data for a given combo of drivers on the chosen baffle? this is like putting the cart ahead of the horses.

I even had Xovers modeled sometimes based on measured! driver performance as mounted on the baffle and still had to change the Xover as it did not sound optimal. Sometimes two Xovers can look equally good in software and still one will be a clear winner over the other in listening tests. That is why it takes an iterative process to arrive at something that meets the design goals, which should not be a preconceived Xover but certain performance over a target BW at on axis and off axis, and finally a subjective impression with certain recordings as a cherry to top the cake.

Agree totally, my friend. The simulations seem to have some deviation from the measurements and listening preferences.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.