Selecting a high quality 6 inch midrange unit for my full range project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking for a medium to high sensitivity midrange for a full range system.

Looking at drivers around 93 -96 dB/w

The crossover points will be between 250Hz to about 2700Hz; third order electrical filters will be used.

Initially it will use passive filters and later it will be activated.

A reasonable degree of accuracy is required, but dynamic excitement to this project is key.

The project will be for high quality domestic audio, NOT PA!!

The units I am looking at as a starting point is the Faital Pro 6PR160 midrange and 6RS140 low midrange.

I have been investigating using full range units like the Seas FA22RCZ and the X1-08 Exotic F8 as well as they make great dynamic midrange units.

Last edited:
Last edited:
http://www.phlaudio.com/products/?n...oducts&cHash=f7f000471dbad30728f6773cc8f75c99

I had a demo of a pair of studio monitors using a DEQX to control a 3 way system using this PHL 6.5 inch midrange.... I wish I had the £10K he said he spent on the system....!!
It was a Beyma 12 inch bass crossed over at 300 Hz to the PHL mids and then Beyma TPL 150 AMT crossed over at 2,000 Hz.
Using 48dB per octave Linear Phase crossovers and class AB power amps ( huge heat sinks on back of speakers!)
The room was well designed and treated acoustically.... I didnt want to leave.... It blew away the insane £500 K High end Munich metal chrome 2 ton cabinet gear.

Falls ~in line with the various 8" here that I prefer since I'm not a fan of rolled surrounds for this most critical of BWs: hiwell speaker

GM

Interesting. The Beyma does have a breakup node at 3.5Khz, but I expect to cross lower than that. Besides the low distortion and flat FR, I like the high QMS for this driver.
I can't see the beauty in the hiwell drivers. How do they sound and measure?

http://www.phlaudio.com/products/?n...oducts&cHash=f7f000471dbad30728f6773cc8f75c99

I had a demo of a pair of studio monitors using a DEQX to control a 3 way system using this PHL 6.5 inch midrange.... I wish I had the £10K he said he spent on the system....!!
It was a Beyma 12 inch bass crossed over at 300 Hz to the PHL mids and then Beyma TPL 150 AMT crossed over at 2,000 Hz.
Using 48dB per octave Linear Phase crossovers and class AB power amps ( huge heat sinks on back of speakers!)
The room was well designed and treated acoustically.... I didnt want to leave.... It blew away the insane £500 K High end Munich metal chrome 2 ton cabinet gear.

Is there a UK reseller for the PHL - 1752NdU mid unit?

Hello.

I'm not familiar with the 6MBX44, but the manufacturer calls it a midbass driver, it has impedance hickups below your 2.7kHz crossover point, and distortion levels from the report you linked to don't look too good...I think you have better options, especially being in Europe.

Since you are in the UK, have you considered using B&W FST driver? It doesn't need to be the latest, and they are sold in the aftermarket. I can't remember the fellow who measured them (I'm sure others here will remember), but he was very impressed with it and fits your needs I think. Sensitivity was around 94dB, ruler flat impedance, great distortion measurements, 5" though. Great midrange sound. There is info about this driver somewhere in this forum.

I am looking for a medium to high sensitivity midrange for a full range system. The crossover points will be between 250Hz to about 2700Hz; third order electrical filters will be used.

From the datasheet, the Faital 6PR160 looks like a good midrange for your 250Hz to 2500Hz design goal. The triple roll cone surround produces a more coherent midrange than the glue-in rubber surround used in a higher Xmax midbass.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.