Thickness of the faceplate for ATC SM75-150S

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can anyone help measure the thickness of the faceplate of the SM75-150S.

It’s the Super linear version of ATC’s 3” dome midrange.

I feel some machining coming on.

Attachments

• 2019-06-16_065024.jpg
    2019-06-16_065024.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 177
Cheers mbrennwa,

to be honest I will most likely be breaking an irreplaceable pair of SM75-150s re-cones through experimentation and being a general clutz.

However!

I have had some HiperCo50 bar offered to me and I'm toying with the idea of making the EMC for the back of the re-cones.

I have some none liner domes and there face plate is also 8mm so i am left questioning how they get a greater magnetic flux in the gap. I might have to split what i have and get a better understanding of the differences in coil.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Cheers mbrennwa,

to be honest I will most likely be breaking an irreplaceable pair of SM75-150s re-cones through experimentation and being a general clutz.

However!

I have had some HiperCo50 bar offered to me and I'm toying with the idea of making the EMC for the back of the re-cones.

I have some none liner domes and there face plate is also 8mm so i am left questioning how they get a greater magnetic flux in the gap. I might have to split what i have and get a better understanding of the differences in coil.

Wait a moment... you are going to break your whaaaat??? Don't kill your ATC SM75-150!!! They are becoming a rare species, so be nice to them!!!
:eek::eek::eek:

Before you do anything, take a look at these photos.

The 8mm plate is part of the magnet system of the SM75-150. It is not part of the waveguide/dome/voice-coil assembly. So if you are planning to break the waveguide/dome/voice-coil assembly (="recone kit"), the 8mm magnet plate will most likely not suffer in any way. But you shouldn't need to break anything. After removeing the screws, the waveguide may stick to the 8mm plate (ATC tends to use glue in order to seal the system), but it should be possible to remove the waveguide without breaking things. Just use a small hammer and knock on the sides of the waveguide (put a piece of wood in between to avoid dents on the waveguide). If in doubt, get in touch with ATC, they have always been very helpful for me.

In any case, before breaking things, put those ATC SM75-150 in a box and send them to me :D

OK,ok - bad choice of words. there will be no breaking!!!

It is the magnet system that I am looking to build, hence the face plate size. The magnet itself is something I have never machined and will probably look to using Neodymium most likely in multiple block form. I'm still formulating how what and why.

If there is a stray screwdriver or an accidental flash of of light then you are more than welcome to them.

Thanks for the link pictures. (damned you ATC for using glue)

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I believe designing a motor / magnet system is a bit rocket science, and cloning the ATC design will not be trivial at all. Wouldn't you be better off to get in touch with ATC to get you drivers fixed with the right parts? I wouldn't be surprised if they would be happy to provide the magnet / motor system as a spare part.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.